Home

We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion)

This is a discussion on We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellagator22
while I pretty much agree, what can really be done? They are not forcing us to buy the game. We just get sucked in every year no matter what.(lol, or at least I do...damn my love for sports and sports gaming).
Yes I too have gotten sucked in year after year lol Hoping each year would be different! lol
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Every game is going to have a few bugs...Understand what I am saying: Patches are not a bad thing. Its the fact that these games are shipping broken and if a patch is to be released it should be for something minor.

And games have "worked" out of the box....with minimal issues. Thats a fact jack.

So ask yourself what planet you are from.
but who said ncaa is broken? even pre patch, many many many users love the game.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Rookie

goodfellagator22's Arena

OVR: 3

btw. I wasn't degrading this game in anyway with my previous post, It is far to early to tell if this game is going to be what I was hoping for when I purchased it. Obviously there are things missing that I've noticed already that I wish would've been available, but with the information provided to you before a game is released and even after, I knew what I was getting myself into when I spent the $60.

My comment was geared mainly towards games in the past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Don't you remember the days when the game came out and it just worked out of the box...no patches needed?
Yes. I also remember the days when player "models" were 8 pixels.

Quote:
I just think it is kind of sad that we are looking forward to "patches" to fix what is broken...when it should not have been shipped until all the bugs were worked out.
I cannot understand the mentality that the ability to patch games is bad. Totally boggles my mind.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
btw. I wasn't degrading this game in anyway with my previous post, It is far to early to tell if this game is going to be what I was hoping for when I purchased it. Obviously there are things missing that I've noticed already that I wish would've been available, but with the information provided to you before a game is released and even after, I knew what I was getting myself into when I spent the $60.

My comment was geared mainly towards games in the past.
then why is this on the ncaa board? there's a general games forum, you know.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Rookie

goodfellagator22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Yes. I also remember the days when player "models" were 8 pixels.

I cannot understand the mentality that the ability to patch games is bad. Totally boggles my mind.
I am guessing the initial thought was he "assumes" that they were aware of problems(which obviously they did know some of them)when they shipped the game and just thought to themselves "it's okay a patch will fix it." Which in a way is kind of ridiculous to come out and say there are major problems with a game before it's released that should've been fixed before the game was shipped.

The ability to patch things is obviously a good thing, I am guessing he is saying that it's not a good thing that they are depending on them to fix things that should've been working in the game in the first place(and they know this while they are shipping the game, kinda sucks for people that don't have internet access).

But once again, we as the consumers probably could've waited a few weeks to make sure the product was worth our money instead of instinctively purchasing something(once again, I am still up in the air on the game, and am not necessarily saying anything bad about it).
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Rookie

goodfellagator22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
then why is this on the ncaa board? there's a general games forum, you know.
I'm just saying that I can see where the OP is coming from in his thoughts, though my opinion is not totally out on the game yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
I am guessing the initial thought was he "assumes" that they were aware of problems(which obviously they did know some of them)when they shipped the game and just thought to themselves "it's okay a patch will fix it." Which in a way is kind of ridiculous to come out and say there are major problems with a game before it's released that should've been fixed before the game was shipped.

The ability to patch things is obviously a good thing, I am guessing he is saying that it's not a good thing that they are depending on them to fix things that should've been working in the game in the first place(and they know this while they are shipping the game, kinda sucks for people that don't have internet access).

But once again, we as the consumers probably could've waited a few weeks to make sure the product was worth our money instead of instinctively purchasing something(once again, I am still up in the air on the game, and am not necessarily saying anything bad about it).
but things happen in dev cycles, and code is very brittle. they have a deadline, and sometimes unexpected things happen late in deadlines that harm the integrity of a product. it's a good thing that patches exist, because games are far more complicated now, and there is a greater chance for something bad happening.

think about it this way, you have a 20 page paper due in 5 minutes. you start printing it out, and while it's printing, you see that some of the pages suddenly are printing in japanese. it's maybe 1 or 2 of the 20, but it can really harm your grade. now, would you rather be able to go to your professor and say "look, i did the paper, but something weird happened and i'm going to turn in the paper as soon as it's fixed," or would you rather have to turn in the paper and get a C?

that's the situation with patching now. stuff happens, and it's much better to have an easy fix (a patch), than a recall or no fix at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »