Home

Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc

This is a discussion on Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc

Is it just me or is running to the outside seems hard ? I don't even hold turbo at the snap but yet every toss or sweep to the outside seems to be a 3 yard loss 98% of the time.

As soon as I get the ball, I have a DL and a LB in the back field already. Be the same way for screens, I throw to the screener who will be wide open when I throw it, but then as soon as he catches it, he is swarmed by 3 players.

Don't get me wrong, on 8 minute quarters I still get 110 - 125 yards rushing, but it seems hard to run the ball to the outside or do any of the screens.

Moving on to the highlight stick and stiff arm......do they even work at all against the cpu ?? Out of 50 plus games now, I have yet to see the highlight stick make anybody miss at all. And I have used several different RB's with an agility rating in the 90s.

Same thing can be said for stiff arms. They don't seem to push the defender back at all, instead it just slows you down and allow the defender to tackle you.

Speaking of tackle, I see the cpu break tackles left and right, but I am lucky to break out of one tackle with out being swarmed.

So any GOOD tips would be much appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc

This year, it seems that running up the middle is almost more effective than running it to the outside... Since they chopped speed ratings at the knees its hard to bounce to the outside. Just practice and watch how your blocks are setup. This year blocking is very very important. Stick with it, you'll get it. Practice makes perfect.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Yeah I noticed I can run up the middle with ease and average about 8 yards a run going up the middle, but to the outside, even with a speedy HB I can't even cut the corner because of all the defenders in the back field.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9

i dont have trouble running but yes speed has been toned down...its what people asked for.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I have had some very nice runs to the outside but I'm a grinder and I run up the gut a lot so when I occasionally run a toss I've had some success. One thing I've learned about 10 is the adaptive AI is there and they'll get to a point where they stuff me on 3rd and short's up the middle. You just have to mix it up and sometimes the outside still isn't there. I suggest using the truck stick and flicking it up when someone is approaching you. I'm done with stiff arm. How they can't implement a proper stiff arm is beyond me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Got.....who is your running back bc I play with Ohio State but I jus messed around with Miami and Cal n their back can get outside with eaz...those r jus a couple but im jus curious who u use?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

I have tried Notre Dame, Florida St, Florida, USC, Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St, Texas, LSU. Ohio St, Iowa, Texas Tech. I'll give Miami and Cal a try.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Sliders cure this problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »