Home

D to stop middle of the field passes...

This is a discussion on D to stop middle of the field passes... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: D to stop middle of the field passes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates
I suppose that's my problem. I'm used to PS2 style user pick. Meaning I won't press the Y button until the ball is right on me. I don't strafe either. I suppose I have to HOLD the Y button and that'll help user pick, does this work the same way for user swat, hold LB?

I don't know what you mean on holding down, you will need to hit it before the ball gets there.. but yeah may take you some time to get the timing down . Most of the time i just watch for the crossing wr and cheat towards him.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates
I suppose that's my problem. I'm used to PS2 style user pick. Meaning I won't press the Y button until the ball is right on me. I don't strafe either. I suppose I have to HOLD the Y button and that'll help user pick, does this work the same way for user swat, hold LB?
Honestly, strafe is a big key for downfield passes.

If I throw a deep bomb i'd say 90% of the time a user lets the computer try and make a play on it or controls the man themselves to knock it down. The 10%, however, will control their man, use strafe, and pick it. I run a lot of cover 3. If someone throws the ball deep on me, either a safety of the corner dropping deep is going to be there. And I'm going to have time to get underneath teh yellow circle, hold strafe, and have time to pick it.

If I were you I would practice it. Makes a biiiiiiiiig difference against online opponents.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Rookie

Well the holding Y button I've seen from a couple people. Some say to hold Y while the ball is in the air. You're saying to do it the way I'm used to. Timing it until the ball is right in front of me.

The issue though is that my DB or LB doesn't go into the jump animation. They just put their hands up in a weird way and don't jump at all. Maybe strafing will help. I dunno know really, so I just let the CPU deal with Long balls and cross, even though I'm in great position when I user control, my guy goes into that dinky animation or I over run the catch or swat, leading to 6 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtisgeek
I don't know what you mean on holding down, you will need to hit it before the ball gets there.. but yeah may take you some time to get the timing down . Most of the time i just watch for the crossing wr and cheat towards him.
Yes I'm that 90%, even though I'm in great position, and I like to run cover 3 blitzes, when I hit the Y button on time I feel (from PS2 days) it's just going over my head, whether I'm back to the ball or facing. There's no DB practice mode like madden on NCAA so I'm left out there. And I don't have anyone to practice with. Oh well I'll try something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaw46

If I throw a deep bomb i'd say 90% of the time a user lets the computer try and make a play on it or controls the man themselves to knock it down. The 10%, however, will control their man, use strafe, and pick it. I run a lot of cover 3. If someone throws the ball deep on me, either a safety of the corner dropping deep is going to be there. And I'm going to have time to get underneath teh yellow circle, hold strafe, and have time to pick it.

If I were you I would practice it. Makes a biiiiiiiiig difference against online opponents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaw46

Thats a good point also. I forget most people don't do this.
Learn to strafe when you need to get position to make a play.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Rookie

Sometimes also you need to just try to swat the ball down if your trailing the play cause this years game most players do go for the over the shoulder catch more often.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Rookie

Thanks guys. Only problem, my dog ate my manual. And box. Great Dane btw.

What's the strafe / Swat button on D. Also what's the strip button.

Matter of fact I keep searching for NCAA manual, or NCAA controller configuration and get nothing no where.

Had to ask. Thanks for the help with the over the middle stuff. It kills me online. 38 - 43 games all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtisgeek
Sometimes also you need to just try to swat the ball down if your trailing the play cause this years game most players do go for the over the shoulder catch more often.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm gonna try some more Cover 1 tonight. I've been getting killed over the middle lately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

left trigger to strafe, left bumper to swat

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »