Home

Playcalling Patch Please

This is a discussion on Playcalling Patch Please within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Playcalling Patch Please

In the fourth quarter of a game, not sure how much time was left, after scoring a TD to put me up by 8, "ask corso" defaulted not to extra point, but to go for a 2-point conversion.

Sorry. "Not so fast, my friend."

I think, I'll kick the PAT and go up by 9, thank you.

I'll take the risk of them scoring a TD and a FG to beat me, over scoring a TD and a 2 pt conversion to tie me.

Last edited by cbc72; 07-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

It offered that suggestion because you were up by an odd score, I mean not just by TD's and FG's like 7-0 or 24-14 or something like that... But not patch worthy since you can still manually control everything you do.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd689
Im sure in real life... If a coach A had coach B on the 2 yard line... and coach A was down and needed a score... he would go for it on 4th down... My reason:
1. If you make it, great... now you just have to hold them. Its also much easier worrying about getting in FG range on your last drive then punching in TD.
2. If you dont get in, you will have their offense in such terrible field position that your defense could pin their ears back and hope for safety or just stuff them.

DEFINITELY NOT PATCH WORTHY...

Patch worthy items are things like me being able to kick 60 yard field goals all day long into a 5 mph wind...which Ive done, on Heisman numerous times.

Whether this is patch worthy or not, all I have to say is......I'm just glad you only PLAY video game football, and NOT coach it. Thats just plain silly Logic...to say the least. This just goes to show you how many "experts" there are out there, hahaha.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster-Doofus
Whether this is patch worthy or not, all I have to say is......I'm just glad you only PLAY video game football, and NOT coach it. Thats just plain silly Logic...to say the least. This just goes to show you how many "experts" there are out there, hahaha.
Please explain to those of us that aren't experts like yourself why he is wrong.

Looked like pretty good logic to me.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
Rookie

marxshut's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
Why would any coach go for the TD in that situation? Some of you play video games way too much and just think it must be that easy to score a TD in real life.

You still NEED to score twice no matter what. So you take the 3 points and play defense. If you get stuffed on 4th down then you have absolutely zero chance to win where as if you take the "easy" 3 points, you at least give yourself a chance.

This isn't hard to figure out.
Its a game by game decision. If you've moved the ball up and down the field all day long, you kick the FG to get within one score.

Conversely if you've struggled on offense all day long and this is the closest you've come to punching one in, you might play for the TD because you don't have the confidence in your offense to drive the ball back down the field to score again.

I don't think this one is black and white.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 9

yes in most instances you want to extend the game by kicking a field goal but when youre at the 2 yard line down by 9 with 2:06 its not completely unreasonable to go for it. should the cpu do this in every instance? no. how many timeouts you have left and if its less or more than 2:06 are also variables that you hope goes into the decision making
Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #23
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9

i think you have to punch it in in that situation. You have to assume that you get the ball back with little to no time thus you have a better shot if you only need a FG rather than a TD. Thats how i would play it.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Please explain to those of us that aren't experts like yourself why he is wrong.

Looked like pretty good logic to me.

Lol, my point exactly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »