Home

Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years

This is a discussion on Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years

I agree about player lock. I always wanted to play corner on defense, but I rarely did, because you can't see crap even with a widescreen TV. Now with player lock, I can finally play cornerback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
I am dumbfounded by the lack of mention or lack of praise as to this new feature. It is, IMO, the coolest new gameplay feature I've seen in many years with this franchise.

The IGN review didn't even mention it (if they did it was a small mention and I missed it). There are barely any posts as to this cool new feature. While it sucks that you can't use it online, it is the biggest improvement to the game over last year. Why?

1) It finally lets you play defense from the defensive side. This was something they should've done many years ago - flip the defense's perspective to their side as had been done in previous video football games. It feels more natural to attack the QB straight on instead of moving your player "backwards". You can't see the whole field since you only control one player, but the views and action of controlling just one player are fantastic, see #2.

2) It gives you completely new angles from which to view the game, and the stadiums, players, plays, animations, etc. takes on a whole new life. It single-handidly makes the game, especially playing defense, a lot more refreshing.

Again, I cannot understand how this feature has been ignored for the most part, it is a huge improvement and my main reason for buying this game.
eh. it's a nice feature but it's not a real gamebreaking feature that makes my eyes pop out of my skull. I rarely use it and when I do its not in my dynasty.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 31

I agree. This is the best feature in football games. I have a hard time playing Madden because it is missing this feature.

Nice job NCAA crew.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #28
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

As close to being in the game as youre gonna get
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I have always "player locked" on defense in NCAA games. I either play as a MLB if possible or, if not, then as a safety and I never switch defenders. I do this for 2 reasons:
1. I have too much of an advantage if I can constantly switch defenders.
2. I like to see what kind of stats that "my guy" can get. It's more satisfying for me when the MLB leads the team in tackles when I know that I made every single one of those tackles and I played him for every second of every defensive play.

That being said, I can't stand player lock and I never use it (even though I still don't switch defenders). I absolutely despise the camera angles (especially when the ball goes past me and it starts spinning around, seemingly out of control. It's so bad it gives me a headache sometimes. It also makes it very difficult for me to play defense as my joystick means completely different things depending on where the camera swings to (IE. "up" starts as towards the LOS, then it's to a sideline, then it's away from the LOS).

I absolutely love NCAA '10 and it's easily the best football game I've ever played, but I find the player lock feature absolutely horrible. That's my own personal opinion of course.

i found the camera angles to be player realistic, when the play goes away from him, the camera simulates his eyes following the play.. In high school thats what it was like, If the play went away from u, you turn your head and follow the play and get a partial view of what happened..

i love this feature.. that switching players 3 or 4 times until you control the guy closest to the ball is garbage.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
i found the camera angles to be player realistic, when the play goes away from him, the camera simulates his eyes following the play.. In high school thats what it was like, If the play went away from u, you turn your head and follow the play and get a partial view of what happened..

i love this feature.. that switching players 3 or 4 times until you control the guy closest to the ball is garbage.
Yeah I like the camera angle but as for the feature... not that important to me. Plus, the defensive assist button that goes along with it...sad

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »