Home

There are bugs, there are glitches, and then there's this...

This is a discussion on There are bugs, there are glitches, and then there's this... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
There are bugs, there are glitches, and then there's this...

Imagine, if you will, buying NCAA Football and finding out when you get home that the QB couldn't throw the ball. Or that receivers couldn't catch. Or that backs couldn't run.

How long would you keep the game?

Now, I am one of the few hardcore sim guys on here that generally doesn't complain a lot. But there are bugs, there are glitches, and there are game killers. When a position refuses to perform the most basic functions of their position, that is a game killer.

Allow me to illustrate.

All of these pictures are from the same play, but they illustrate a recurring issue that happens on virtually every play run in zone.

Here is the presnap look.

Note the Sam backer, lined up directly behind the defensive end, head up on the inside tight end.

The play is going to be a zone slant to the side I am taking pictures of. The outside tight end will attempt to block our linebacker, while the inside TE takes the DE.

Here we see the linebacker taking what we call a "read step"... he steps up strongly, checking the backfield for tell tale signs that the play is a run. He might key on a guard, watching for the pull, the back, watching for a certain kind of step out of his stance, or, commonly, the quarterback to turn his back.

Here we see the play from the defensive perspective. Clearly, the QB has turned his back to the line of scrimmage, indicating a likely running play. Now, it could be play action, but if you look back at the previous image, you'll note the linebacker stepping up against the run, the safety dropping back into coverage. As neither can be sure 100% of pass or run, both are taking on the appropriate responsibility. Linebackers play the run, Defensive backs play the pass.

So, what in the sam hell is this?

Where is the linebacker going?!?! The QBs back is still turned to the line of scrimmage, he's still moving toward the runningback, who's clearly looking to receive a hand off. All evidence to this point points to a run play. Where on earth does this linebacker think he's going?!?!

Oh, it gets worse..

Yes, the ball has been handed off, the QB at this point (though not picture) has already given up all pretense of still having the ball, and yet, our brain dead linebacker has continued to fall into his zone responsibility. Could it be a halfback pass? Sure, but are you going to bet on this 10 yards from the endzone? Or any play?

I didn't take any more pictures, but suffice it to say the HB scored... he cut upfield immediately and went right down the middle of the defense. That linebacker was blocked mid-back-peddle and driven into the endzone.

Fact: The job of a linebacker is to play the run, first and foremost. It's their #1 responsibility. They fail to do this in this game, and that is the epitome of a game killer. I can live with flawed logic, but total lack of it I cannot.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-03-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Rookie

BigSteveTN09's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: There are bugs, there are glitches, and then there's this...

*slow clap*

i've been yelling this at my screen since 09
Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yes I have noticed this too, but it only happens on defensive zone plays for me.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards227
Yes I have noticed this too, but it only happens on defensive zone plays for me.
I mentioned that in the OP, but am I supposed to remain in man whenever there is the slightest possibility of a run play?

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 13

i've noticed this as well. the cpu, by default, will immediately go to their zone until they see the ball has transferred from qb to hb. for me, whenever i do a zone coverage, which isn't nearly as often as man, i control the mlb at the beginning of the play to gaurd against the run.

i think it's good though because should a play be a playaction and the lb comes up on the run too much, he's out of his zone assignment. the cpu, on a zone, should go to his assigned spot on the field first and make a move when they're sure where the play is going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
i've noticed this as well. the cpu, by default, will immediately go to their zone until they see the ball has transferred from qb to hb. for me, whenever i do a zone coverage, which isn't nearly as often as man, i control the mlb at the beginning of the play to gaurd against the run.

i think it's good though because should a play be a playaction and the lb comes up on the run too much, he's out of his zone assignment. the cpu, on a zone, should go to his assigned spot on the field first and make a move when they're sure where the play is going.
I am not trying to be rude, but what you just said doesn't have the slightest resemblance to real football.

Defenders who have gap responsiblilities or who are the primary force player play the run 1st, only secondary support players play pass 1st. This is fundamental defensive football.

I will say that I have not seen this on every play and not even the majority of plays like the op said.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
I am not trying to be rude, but what you just said doesn't have the slightest resemblance to real football.

Defenders who have gap responsiblilities or who are the primary force player play the run 1st, only secondary support players play pass 1st. This is fundamental defensive football.

I will say that I have not seen this on every play and not even the majority of plays like the op said.
I'm pretty sure now that it occurs whenever you're in a defense other than base or goalline.

-Mark Twain.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I almost hate to ask, but did you notice this happening in your time with Madden?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »