Home

Presentation Ideas Not Often Talked About

This is a discussion on Presentation Ideas Not Often Talked About within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Rookie

Lynx34's Arena

OVR: 4
Presentation Ideas Not Often Talked About

I know, I know; presentation improvements have been talked TO DEATH. But I thought of a couple of things that I haven't seen brought up, and I wanted to see what the community thought about it.

1. Rivalry games are often bigger than a lot of the bowl games or even some of the championship games (I'm looking at you, MAC). Something needs to be done there, like players jostling each other more than usual. Maybe before the game, they mob against each other like they often do and be yelling unintelligible insults at each other. Things like that.

2. More announcers... even fictional ones for non-nationally broadcast games. The fact is, Corso et al. can't announce every single game, so why do they in the game? Have 5 sets of regional announcers (Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, and Midwest) that would be determined by the home team. Give the announcers for the SEC, Sun Belt and Big 12 some southern accents, too, just for that added regional flavor. Nationally broadcasted games, game of the week, and" Play Now" games would be done by the main crew.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Presentation Ideas Not Often Talked About

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx34
I know, I know; presentation improvements have been talked TO DEATH. But I thought of a couple of things that I haven't seen brought up, and I wanted to see what the community thought about it.

1. Rivalry games are often bigger than a lot of the bowl games or even some of the championship games (I'm looking at you, MAC). Something needs to be done there, like players jostling each other more than usual. Maybe before the game, they mob against each other like they often do and be yelling unintelligible insults at each other. Things like that.

2. More announcers... even fictional ones for non-nationally broadcast games. The fact is, Corso et al. can't announce every single game, so why do they in the game? Have 5 sets of regional announcers (Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, and Midwest) that would be determined by the home team. Give the announcers for the SEC, Sun Belt and Big 12 some southern accents, too, just for that added regional flavor. Nationally broadcasted games, game of the week, and" Play Now" games would be done by the main crew.

Thoughts?
1. Although i would like to see pushing and shoving and trash talking and all of that im not sure it will ever be put in the game, and if it was it wouldnt look realistic. Since there are young kids that play this game, I think they would want to stay away from it. They may feel they are sending a message that playing dirty is okay to do. However, i am all for it because i know thats how football is played anyway.

2. And yes, the entire commentary needs a drastic overhaul from top to bottom. no question about it.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

1. I always like sports games that sneak a few animations in there that you only see once in a while. How cool is to put 100+ hours into a game, and then see something new. However in my experience, EA generally doesn't like do this. When they build an animation, they want to make sure people see it.....which makes sense from a marketing standpoint. But yeah, I am with you. Big games should have a little extra animation here and there.

2. I also agree with you on #2. But I believe I once read that the commentary takes up a good amount of the disk space. So extra commentary teams could be tough. But I may be wrong on this.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Rookie

CurryStorm's Arena

I agree with everything, especially #2. I don't care if they hire voice actors to do it instead of real ESPN commentators, just get some other people besides Lee and Kirk. Maybe just have the Gameday crew do the game of the week and the bigger bowl games, while the other people do local televised games or something. This way you wouldn't tire of the Gameday commentary as you wouldn't be hearing them every game, and it would actually be a special thing for your team to have a big enough game to hear them.

If the thing's true about commentary taking up too much space, I say just drop it all together for a few years and use that space to improve dynasty presentation, team entrances, having assistant coaches, etc. I've heard the same convo from Lee and Kirk over the years that I normally turn their commentary down to 0 and just listen to the PA announcer, about like what a real coach would hear.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Rookie

Lynx34's Arena

Ahhh, that definitely makes sense about the commentary taking up a lot of disk space. Solution? DLC. Making microtransactions for 'dynasty accelerators' is ********, but I'd gladly pay a couple of bucks for some new commentary. It can be stored on the hard drive of your console, so space isn't as much of an issue. Then you should be able to determine in game which commentary sets you want to use in different types of games (regional, national, GotW, etc.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx34
Ahhh, that definitely makes sense about the commentary taking up a lot of disk space. Solution? DLC. Making microtransactions for 'dynasty accelerators' is ********, but I'd gladly pay a couple of bucks for some new commentary. It can be stored on the hard drive of your console, so space isn't as much of an issue. Then you should be able to determine in game which commentary sets you want to use in different types of games (regional, national, GotW, etc.)
i was just going to say that EA could offer extra commentary as a download available through PSN or xbox live. People would buy it, and it wouldn't take up additional disk space.

Presentation wise though, most important is seeing players react differently when winning a regular game, rivalry game, conference championship, bowl game, national championship.

Also, how about have a different reaction depending on how close the game is. Blow outs would have calm celebrations, while winning a nail biter on the last play would have the entire team mob whoever made the winning play.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

I'd pay five bucks for a few more broadcasting teams. Heck, they can probably get some senior college journalism majors (UCF students, I'm looking at you) to do this for free. It's a win-win for EA and the announce team: additional revenue, journalism students get something cool in their portfolio, no expensive costs for EA other than studio time... etc.

Having students do this would also add some of that regional crappiness that we expect from local caliber announcers
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Banned

mvandor's Arena

OVR: 7

Broadcast teams don't get my attention on presentation. Presentation is about IMMERSING you in the experience the way 2k5 so successfully did.

Frankly, if they just put back in all the last gen stuff they once had I'd be pretty happy. Entrances with players running from tunnels, warming up, coaches on field, highlight of key player during warmups, create-a-sign or create-a-fan, SI covers you can archive.

Add some halftime SHOW from the studio, post game on-field interviews or in studio wrap up show, a weekly wrap up show covering top teams' games that week. Better visuals for injuries.

Do SOMETHING DIFFERENT to emphasize both rivalry games (trophy presentation post game, louder crowds, more emotional sideline/crowd cut scenes) and Bowl Games and CERTAINLY the National Championship.

Nothing revolutionary here. It's all been done before in one football release or another, just put it all together.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »