Home

Is NCAA 10 Really Broken?

This is a discussion on Is NCAA 10 Really Broken? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Is NCAA 10 Really Broken?

Some people on here strongly disagree with my opinions. But before making a decision you should hear another point of view.

I stated in another thread that I have not seen the progression issues that others are talking about.

In my 7th year of my Dynasty I have not seen a Mid Major even sniff the NC game, the top 5 ranked teams going into my 7th season are.
1.USC
2.Ohio State
3.Penn State
4.Notre Dame
5.Alabama

others in the top 10 are:
LSU
Texas
and Rutgers (Rutgers is a head scratcher but at least they are in a BCS conference)
The only team not in the top 10 that is not from a BCS conference is my own team which is a Mountain West Team and I am ranked 8th. My team is a B Defense and a B-Offense. hardly an A+ mid major team in my 7th season, that some claim happen in season 2 and 3.

In my 7th season I have gotten BCS at large bids but even with 2 undefeated seasons beating ranked opponents I still have not sniffed the the NC game. I imagine starting at #8 if I can go undefeated in season number 7 I might crack a NC bid. But I will need help, if two teams above me go undefeated I will be out again, which to me is pretty realistic for a very good MWC team.

Perhaps progression is different if you start with a better team. I get bored with that anyhow. I dont want to dominate form my first season on. I did that at the start of 09 I took Ohio State and after 5 seasons of undefeated football, I left Ohio State and took over Hawaii. lol. Then left Hawaii and took over FIA. I like the challenge of building teams from 1 and 2* to a powerhouse. If you enjoy doing that the progression in this game is certainly not "broken." As I said it may be quite different if you start with a better team. I cannot speak to that because I have not done it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseChiarlo
Some people on here strongly disagree with my opinions. But before making a decision you should hear another point of view.

I stated in another thread that I have not seen the progression issues that others are talking about.

In my 7th year of my Dynasty I have not seen a Mid Major even sniff the NC game, the top 5 ranked teams going into my 7th season are.
1.USC
2.Ohio State
3.Penn State
4.Notre Dame
5.Alabama

others in the top 10 are:
LSU
Texas
and Rutgers (Rutgers is a head scratcher but at least they are in a BCS conference)
The only team not in the top 10 that is not from a BCS conference is my own team which is a Mountain West Team and I am ranked 8th. My team is a B Defense and a B-Offense. hardly an A+ mid major team in my 7th season, that some claim happen in season 2 and 3.

In my 7th season I have gotten BCS at large bids but even with 2 undefeated seasons beating ranked opponents I still have not sniffed the the NC game. I imagine starting at #8 if I can go undefeated in season number 7 I might crack a NC bid. But I will need help, if two teams above me go undefeated I will be out again, which to me is pretty realistic for a very good MWC team.

Perhaps progression is different if you start with a better team. I get bored with that anyhow. I dont want to dominate form my first season on. I did that at the start of 09 I took Ohio State and after 5 seasons of undefeated football, I left Ohio State and took over Hawaii. lol. Then left Hawaii and took over FIA. I like the challenge of building teams from 1 and 2* to a powerhouse. If you enjoy doing that the progression in this game is certainly not "broken." As I said it may be quite different if you start with a better team. I cannot speak to that because I have not done it.
Completely agree with you and have seen the exact same thing. I started as Colorado and have not cracked the top 10 yet in 4 years. Looks like I will be starting this year though at 16 so I have a good chance of doing that now I think.

The highest ranking player I have recruited is now a junior and rater an 89. He's a FS. The closest other recruit I have is a 5* HB that is rated an 84 as a sophomore.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry422
If you are a Dynasty player then the game is broken.

If you are the type of person who just plays a few games a week offline or with your buddies, I think the game is very
good/great.

I fall into the latter category and I like the game quite a bit. I can't wait to get the second patch.

I feel for the Dynasty guys, though, I really do. I would be one, but being 'family guy' just doesn't allow for that type of a time commitment any longer.

With all that being said, I think EA sports game are now more geared to people like me (late 30s/family) than to the teen/younger generation. I play the game five/six hour a week. I don't sweat all the details, nor do I even notice them all. I only know "hook zones" are broke because I read about it online. I can guarantee that my group of friends, who are all in my demographic range with family, and also only play 4-10 hours a week, wouldn't know a "broken hook zone" from a working one. We just play. Nobody knows enough to exploid the "broken" elements of the game. We pick the teams we want, practice with them, get together, and just play.

Side note - I don't play a lot of non-sports games, but for those that do, are they picked apart with such ferver? Games like Halo 3, CoD4 and the rest, can one not find "game killers" with these as well, if you wanted too?
COD4 may be the best game I have ever played in terms of not finding flaws with it. I am sure though if you asked a Marine he would say that its completely unrealistic. "Who hops up and down like the Easter Bunny to avoid being hit". "I just hit that guy in the head 4 times with my M4 and he's still running around."

I go on Wargame sites and the Grognards are complaining right and left about realism.

The one thing I will say though is that I have never seen another game franchise continually take out features that the public liked like NCAA does. I think thats what separates this from the other games. Other franchises don't seem to regress. They will all have their complainers, but honestly I have to say that most of the complaints for NCAA are warranted because we have seen the stuff before, we had it before. We're not asking for new gimmicks, we just want our old stuff back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
COD4 may be the best game I have ever played in terms of not finding flaws with it. I am sure though if you asked a Marine he would say that its completely unrealistic. "Who hops up and down like the Easter Bunny to avoid being hit". "I just hit that guy in the head 4 times with my M4 and he's still running around."

I go on Wargame sites and the Grognards are complaining right and left about realism.

The one thing I will say though is that I have never seen another game franchise continually take out features that the public liked like NCAA does. I think thats what separates this from the other games. Other franchises don't seem to regress. They will all have their complainers, but honestly I have to say that most of the complaints for NCAA are warranted because we have seen the stuff before, we had it before. We're not asking for new gimmicks, we just want our old stuff back.
I agree...the issue I see is with the companies...EA Sports is cyclical in terms of revenue and products...Regardless of how much time they have to develop a game, they still have to put out said game at the same time every year. If every aspect of your operation is not 100% sound, you will have your hiccups with each and every release.

Companies that make games like COD4 and Halo, don't have the same pressures to complete a game in a finite time. Their pressue is to release the best damn game possible. Release an amazing game and the profits will continue to roll in, especially through reviews and word of mouth. COD4 GOY edition is still selling at practically full price two years later...EA doesn't have that luxury to sit on a game for a few years and release it when its perfect. By then everything will be outdated.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of Sports games. Sports are cyclical and ever changing and so are the video games. There will never be a perfect sports game...Not enough time to make a perfect sports game and if you come close, the bar will be set even higher for the next year (see the Show).

Complaints should not be seen as a knock though. Its just how sports fans are...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #37
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBfr3sh
I agree...the issue I see is with the companies...EA Sports is cyclical in terms of revenue and products...Regardless of how much time they have to develop a game, they still have to put out said game at the same time every year. If every aspect of your operation is not 100% sound, you will have your hiccups with each and every release.

Companies that make games like COD4 and Halo, don't have the same pressures to complete a game in a finite time. Their pressue is to release the best damn game possible. Release an amazing game and the profits will continue to roll in, especially through reviews and word of mouth. COD4 GOY edition is still selling at practically full price two years later...EA doesn't have that luxury to sit on a game for a few years and release it when its perfect. By then everything will be outdated.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of Sports games. Sports are cyclical and ever changing and so are the video games. There will never be a perfect sports game...Not enough time to make a perfect sports game and if you come close, the bar will be set even higher for the next year (see the Show).

Complaints should not be seen as a knock though. Its just how sports fans are...
This is why they need better direction. Stop trying to add gimmicks to the game.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #38
Pro

mjussawalla's Arena

OVR: 11

The biggest problem IMO is fatigue and poor subbing, not progression (though that is a problem)
Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBfr3sh

I agree with you and think that sports games should come out every 2 years with a roster update and small dlc pack every other year.

However, I have never seen a gaming company intentioanlly leave out features that were applauded on previous versions and intentionally break things that used to work like EA does.

Imagine if Modern Warfare 2 comes out with less weapons, less maps, and you can no longer fight hand to hand and the rank system is fouled up. What would happen?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #40
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry422
If you are a Dynasty player then the game is broken.
False. Blanket statements need to go.

This is purely opinion, state it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial23
Dynasty is not broken bro. It plays fine. I have gone 4 years ahead, and have not had any issues with the progression. I have not had weird NC winners, I have not had freshman come in in the high 80's or low 90's. It plays better than last year gameplay wise, and the dynasty is fine.
I'm in year 3. Progression is higher than I want and recruits come in higher than I want.

Oklahoma won it in 2009
Notre Dame won it in 2010 (you can argue it's broken)

It's broken if you make it broken. I am in no way saying it's perfect but all these blanket statements are ridiculous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »