Home

Progression Explanation?

This is a discussion on Progression Explanation? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #89
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Progression Explanation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeve
Have you checked out the "Progression makes dynasty mode unplayable" thread with currently 1,911 posts, which cites countless examples of the above?
I haven't read all 100+ pages of that thread, but I've read a lot of it. I've seen statistical evidence demonstrating that ratings become a little bit inflated, but no statistical evidence demonstrating that this leads to too much parity or more parity than past versions of NCAA. If such evidence does exist, then please provide a link to the specific post.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #90
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I do appreciate Adam's explaination, which appears to be honest and heartfelt. But to be honest, I almost wish he was lying to us, because if that is truly the direction they wanted to take the ratings and progression system going forward, they're going to lose my interest.

I would much, much rather see nobody ranked "99", than to see dozens or hundreds of guys ranked "99" OVR. Remember when GTA IV came out, and people were pissed because so many magazines gave it 10.0's or A+'s. Why were they mad? They were mad because as soon as you give out the highest score possible, you are saying that "nothing will be better than this," which of course, you couldn't possibly know.

MLB 2k8 had a similar problem like this where there were 60-odd players with so-called "perfect ratings". So you play with Manny Ramierez or J.D. Drew, and both of them are a 99. Great.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #91
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkmike
I haven't read all 100+ pages of that thread, but I've read a lot of it. I've seen statistical evidence demonstrating that ratings become a little bit inflated, but no statistical evidence demonstrating that this leads to too much parity or more parity than past versions of NCAA. If such evidence does exist, then please provide a link to the specific post.
You're confusing actual parity (in gameplay) with perceived parity (ratings). The former cannot be proven b/c it is entirely based on how you perceive the gameplay, and is thus subjective. The latter has already been proven by definition because the ratings are maxing out at 99, and have smashed up into the 80's and 90's across the board.

I would argue that it is MORE important in this game how the ratings are perceived than how they actually correspond to gameplay. The reason for this is because the majority of the reasons for playing this game (for me and many others) have to do with things that happen off the field, including recruiting and team management.

Spending hours combing through recruits all season, making pitches, and securing them on your team IS part of the game, kicked off by the Christmas like "unwrapping" of those player ratings on the "Cut Players" screen at the beginning of the next year. That's the game within the game, and it's ruined for me if I simply believe that every decent recruit is going to end up in the mid 90's or at 99.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #92
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

the biggest problem with the progression is just the new overall rating calculation. if you actually take the time to look and compare the individual ratings, you wouldn't think it was bad. with so many ratings now accounting for the overall rating, it's just real easy for the overall rating to get jacked up. and the majority of the high rated players are Offensive Linemen. there are so many ratings for the OL that they just make the overall high. not sure how it is calculated exactly, but the way it is has changed from 09 to 10, mainly in that the posistion specific ratings now count towards the overall rating, unlike before.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #93
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
the biggest problem with the progression is just the new overall rating calculation. if you actually take the time to look and compare the individual ratings, you wouldn't think it was bad. with so many ratings now accounting for the overall rating, it's just real easy for the overall rating to get jacked up. and the majority of the high rated players are Offensive Linemen. there are so many ratings for the OL that they just make the overall high. not sure how it is calculated exactly, but the way it is has changed from 09 to 10, mainly in that the posistion specific ratings now count towards the overall rating, unlike before.
Ok if its simply an miss calculation in the way they add up the overall. I can easily look pass that!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #94
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
You're confusing actual parity (in gameplay) with perceived parity (ratings). The former cannot be proven b/c it is entirely based on how you perceive the gameplay, and is thus subjective. The latter has already been proven by definition because the ratings are maxing out at 99, and have smashed up into the 80's and 90's across the board.

I would argue that it is MORE important in this game how the ratings are perceived than how they actually correspond to gameplay. The reason for this is because the majority of the reasons for playing this game (for me and many others) have to do with things that happen off the field, including recruiting and team management.

Spending hours combing through recruits all season, making pitches, and securing them on your team IS part of the game, kicked off by the Christmas like "unwrapping" of those player ratings on the "Cut Players" screen at the beginning of the next year. That's the game within the game, and it's ruined for me if I simply believe that every decent recruit is going to end up in the mid 90's or at 99.
Read my post in the "progression makes dynasty mode unplayable" thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »