Home

PETITION FOR EA: NO MORE GIMMICKS

This is a discussion on PETITION FOR EA: NO MORE GIMMICKS within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #33
Pro

OpusX910's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: PETITION FOR EA: NO MORE GIMMICKS

maybe we should make a petition to the NCAA to give limited rights to EA...that way allowing others (2K, SCEA) to purchase limited rightsd as well and give them competition..

I think this would be more likely to happen, than EA caring. Although, their Fifs and NHL guys seem to care quite a bit more than the NCAA Madden crew...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I'll sign it. But it isn't going to help.

Apparantly EA doesn't think that realistic gameplay is a good enough of a feature. They have to Gimmicize it.

I guess they don't want to look at The Show as their model. Not only does that game preach realism and has good sales numbers. Numerous people such as myself have bought PS3's just to play that 1 game.

Imagine the back of the box with a list of features:
-Gameday Analysis
-Unprecedented Presentation and Atmosphere
-Unprecedented Pool of recruits with accurate attributes
-Revolutionary Sim Engine deisgned in association with Front Office Football:The College Years.
-College Coaches Association Real College Coaches walking the sidelines
-Players play to their real abilities.
-Real College Playbooks with top notch AI decision making(Meaning AI will know when to scramble and when to pitch the ball)
-NCAA 2011, let the chess match begin.

It doesn't have to have gimmicks. The gameplay is close now they just have to strip the gimmicks and add some core concepts to the off the field items.

they dont do that with this series. I do not know why.

the Madden team seems to get this more..even though they couldnt help themselves with the fight for fumble feature, The NBA Live team had to have blood flow through the streets before they began to get it, but for some reason...EA seems to think that College Football is a cartoon.

I do not understand it.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Wikipedia definition of Gimmick:

In marketing language, a gimmick is a quirky feature that distinguishes a product or service without adding any obvious function or value. Thus, a gimmick sells solely on the basis of distinctiveness and may not appeal to the more savvy or shrewd customer.

In marketing, product gimmicks are sometimes considered mere novelties, and not really that relevant to the product's functioning, sometimes even earning negative connotations. However, some seemingly trivial gimmicks of the past have evolved into useful, permanent features. According to the OED, the word is first attested in 1926, defined in the Wise-Crack Dictionary by Main and Grant as "a device used for making a fair game crooked".

Finding a successful gimmick for an otherwise mundane product is often an important part of the marketing process. For example, toothbrushes are often given various gimmicks, such as bright colors, easy-grip handles, or color-changing bristles so they appear more exciting to consumers. This is often done when trying to appeal to children or excitable adults, who often get more excited about the gimmick than the product.

Major product features which are poorly designed become known as gimmicks to the product users. Plastic devices often suffer from weak structural components or fragile construction, leading to deforming and cracking of the over-strained and poorly engineered mechanisms. This leaves the owner with the basic functions of the item and the gimmick disabled or, in the case of very cheaply produced products, the gimmick broken completely from the main body of the item.

The shoe fits in this case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

Has anyone EVER played Mascot Mashup? If they take that out because of all these petitions, I'm seriously gonna go on a rampage of epic proportions. Is it too much to ask that I get to play my CFB with a bunch of 19 year olds dressed up like cartoon characters?

And perfectly timed 10 yd pitches while being gang tackled happen all the time. And what lineman do you know of that doesn't take a few plays off. Blocking is tough work. Jeez. Cut them a break.

And now my favorite part of NCAA 10. You might disagree with me, but I believe real life needs to start to mimic video games. Obviously, steroids are useful and in no way should be out lawed. That's why players progress realistically in this game. And they obviously never touch "marijuana" or "alcohol," they definitely attend all their classes, and spend hours upon hours in the film room and on the practice field to increase they're "awareness."

Sorry about the wall of text, but you NCAA 10 "sim" guys need to chill out. Mascot Mashup is no gimmick. Progression is perfect, if not weak, and lineman are just fine. Let 'em block when they feel like it.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 8

I cosign this without hesitation.

Add to it that gimmicks aren't needed to sell this game. NCAA is NOT a casual football game - it's the game for true football fanatics. It's a niche product.

People that just want to play a football game with no concern over realism buy Madden. The overwhelming majority of less-than-9-year-olds buy Madden.

Quit making NCAA be a representation "football-lite".
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

they just need to bring back the pregame stuff they had on last gen (teams running on the field, showing a star player warming up while talking about him), formation subs, custom playbooks, postgame stuff like they had on last gen (players/coaches shaking hands, celebrating, gatorade bath for big games, etc.).

And then they need to get rid of the gameplanning. I was skeptical about it when i first heard about it and i was right because its been a total fail.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
How about we get a petition going for:

Formation subs
Custom playbooks
Pre-game/post game shows
Player warm-ups
Refs and the chain gang

After this EA can ad all the fluff they want.
Beyond the first two even that is fluff to me. Give me some freaking actual blocking schemes and gap responsibilities. Oh, and 85 man rosters. It's not like they don't have the storage space. I dont even care if they don't actually give each team 85 players, just give each team 85 roster slots.

Last edited by helix139; 08-27-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139
Beyond the first two even that is fluff to me. Give me some freaking actual blocking schemes and gap responsibilities. Oh, and 85 man rosters. It's not like they don't have the storage space. I dont even care if they don't actually give each team 85 players, just give each team 85 roster slots.
+1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »