Home

More situational commentary needed - Examples requested

This is a discussion on More situational commentary needed - Examples requested within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
More situational commentary needed - Examples requested

One of the most glaring issues with the NCAA Football series is the lack of what I like to call "situational commentary." This is commentary that is very specific to certain players or situations. For example:

If I am on the goaline & I fumble the ball into the endzone & my lineman picks it up for a TD, I hear something like:

"Great run by the half back on that one....."

Why don't I hear something like "Oh boy, oh boy the offense caught a break on that one. What a heads up play by the big man on the line!"

If I sack the QB with a big hit, he fumbles the ball, I return it for 6, and the booth reviews the play and determines that his knee was down before the fumble, I hear something like this:

"......"

Exactly, I hear absolutely no commentary made about the impact of a reversed call. Shouldn't the broadcasters be talking about that?

Finally, why don't we have commentary that is specific for a Heisman player (either former or the one in pursuit)? When I'm playing with Sam Bradford, I expect the announcers to give me some commentary that is unique to this one player like:

"You will not see a smarter Quarterback in the pocket that this Heisman award winner. What a great pass to the tight end!"

If I throw an interception, why can't I hear something like:

"That's not a play that this Heisman winning quarterback usually makes. He had no wide receivers open downfield and he simply forced the ball in there."

============

So, what other examples of "situational commentary" would you like to see added to the game?

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/beeneeb
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: More situational commentary needed - Examples requested

i agree. not just situational but in general. after one year in a dynasty youve likely heard everything there is 2 times. how about saying something when you truck a defender. or when you hit the QB as hes throwing it and the pass goes 10 feet and hits the ground. usually they say something about it being a bad pass but why not say something else. i would like to hear the players names more often as opposed to "this LB" or "the HB". i also hate corso saying the playcall was dumb after it was play that you get from the "ask Corso" list

commentary has been awful in NCAA for years now though so i wasnt expecting it to be much different.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Another thing that you don't see enough is play-specific commentary. When you run an HB screen for a 20+ yard gain, then you should hear something exciting from the broadcasters instead of:

"Great play to the halfback out of the backfield."

Rather, here's what I envision:

If you run an HB screen for a TD, you should hear:

"Wow! Did you see how the blockers set up that screen? Now that's great blocking! I know that the half back did a great job on this play. However, the ol' O line deserves the credit for this one."

If you run an HB screen & it gets tipped by the d line, you should hear:

"There's no fooling the D line on that play. Not only did they recognize the play as soon as the halfback came out of the backfield, but they also gave themselves a chance for the pick."

Then, you should have at least 2 to 3 variations of the above.

=====

If you run an HB & it gets tipped by the CB, you should hear:

"Wow! The cornerback was ready to take that one back to the house for 6. There's no excuses for a miscue like that. If your receivers aren't going to block for your backs, then you might as well stop running the screen."

Then, you should have at least 2 to 3 variations of the above.

======

Now, here's where it gets interested...What happens if you run an HB screen & you throw it deep to the receiver? There should be at least 2 or 3 smart @$$ comments from the commentators for that...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Rookie

They had Heisman related commentary last year but haven't heard it this year. I don't remember exactly what it was but it was something along the lines of "and that's why he's a Heisman candidate!"
Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

The worst is when you throw a pass to a Tight End for a touchdown and they say, What a great run by the Halfback for the touchdown!

I mean, COME ON. I PASSED IT TO SOMEONE ELSE!
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

You have to give these guys a break. This announcing team has only been in the game for about 12 years. LOL.

J/K, I agree with you. I actually like the game, but the announcing is worse than it was in 2003....not sure how exactly that is possible.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

To be fair, they CAN'T say Bradford or Tebow is a Heisman trophy winner since they are allegedly fictional players. I'm guessing player likeness and rights infringements play into that part of it.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
To be fair, they CAN'T say Bradford or Tebow is a Heisman trophy winner since they are allegedly fictional players. I'm guessing player likeness and rights infringements play into that part of it.
Then, the Heisman commentary should only apply to the current year's race instead of previous years. I think that adding Heisman-specific commentary will really play a huge role in making the Dynasty fresh from year to year. I mean, how many times are you going to play against a team that has a Heisman contender?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »