Home

Out/In - Defending against top 5 TE

This is a discussion on Out/In - Defending against top 5 TE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Out/In - Defending against top 5 TE

My friend adjusted on me big time, and the balance of power has shifted, in a huge way.

I can't stop the Sooners (Oklahoma) TE, playing Florida. Primarily the TE out routes.

The out/in routes typicall are 5-10 yards. Cover 2 has stopped drag plays by TE/WR and his RB.

Formations I have tried - I basically tried the 4-3 playbook from 4-3 to Nickle. The LB blitz plays that have been working so well until today, basically give him a first down every time.

I am not that good at manually setting up a defense, and am even worse in coverage. Until today, I have been able to make enough adjustments to pull ahead by 8 games, and today I lost 4 in a row.

His style is run and gun in shotgun, but has enough patience to pick me apart if he doesn't have to worry about pressure (which is hard enough with his line.

Anyhow, any suggestion I will try, but I am rubbish in manual coverage. If I can still control the D-Line, that would keep me in my comfort zone.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Out/In - Defending against top 5 TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGGleep
My friend adjusted on me big time, and the balance of power has shifted, in a huge way.

I can't stop the Sooners (Oklahoma) TE, playing Florida. Primarily the TE out routes.

The out/in routes typicall are 5-10 yards. Cover 2 has stopped drag plays by TE/WR and his RB.

Formations I have tried - I basically tried the 4-3 playbook from 4-3 to Nickle. The LB blitz plays that have been working so well until today, basically give him a first down every time.

I am not that good at manually setting up a defense, and am even worse in coverage. Until today, I have been able to make enough adjustments to pull ahead by 8 games, and today I lost 4 in a row.

His style is run and gun in shotgun, but has enough patience to pick me apart if he doesn't have to worry about pressure (which is hard enough with his line.

Anyhow, any suggestion I will try, but I am rubbish in manual coverage. If I can still control the D-Line, that would keep me in my comfort zone.

Thanks
I guess I'll start with the obvious Double TE? Spread your linebackers to help with the out or pinch them to help with the in. I believe your safety will be the one to apply the help so you can move him into position to help with the other side of the linebacker.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Rookie

Thanks for reply. A little desperate so any ideas are very welcome.

He does it from all types of formations (Hot routes). One off the top of my head that is pretty much an auto first down on 3rd and 5, can't remember what its called, but 3 recievers lined up on one side in shotgun, TE on the empty side.

Basically I've been hit with it out of every formation in the sooners playbook.

In's aren't as bad as even cover-1 can defend against a TE in route. You'll atleast have a MLB in the area that could make a play, while someone is following the TE in man.

I can try manually controlling the LB, because I can stay infront of the route, but that will only work a couple times. I really need a few plays that will work like Cover-2 takes away the flats.

Last edited by OGGleep; 09-06-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Calling a Cover 3 and having the TE side safety covering him in Man should work well I would think. Just make sure it's the sfety who is supposedd to be dropping into a hook zone so you don't leave a post route down the middle wide open.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

Speaking of TE's did anybody see Michigan's Kevin Koger's one-handed snag. First canidate for "Catch of the Year" in my opinion. It was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmWehItKyM

That is all. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGGleep
Thanks for reply. A little desperate so any ideas are very welcome.

He does it from all types of formations (Hot routes). One off the top of my head that is pretty much an auto first down on 3rd and 5, can't remember what its called, but 3 recievers lined up on one side in shotgun, TE on the empty side.

Basically I've been hit with it out of every formation in the sooners playbook.

In's aren't as bad as even cover-1 can defend against a TE in route. You'll atleast have a MLB in the area that could make a play, while someone is following the TE in man.

I can try manually controlling the LB, because I can stay infront of the route, but that will only work a couple times. I really need a few plays that will work like Cover-2 takes away the flats.
Try double X out of Dime for that trips formation and let me know.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try, should have an opportunity today.

Well, it was USC vs Texas (me as Texas) and he didn't have the speed to run away from my ends long enough to wait for the route to develop.

Ended up with 10 sacks (6 user) 2 FF, and 3 INTs. He was too made to play again =)

Last edited by OGGleep; 09-07-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special27K
Speaking of TE's did anybody see Michigan's Kevin Koger's one-handed snag. First canidate for "Catch of the Year" in my opinion. It was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmWehItKyM

That is all. Thank you.
That was pretty damn good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »