Home

100% guarantee to make football more realistic...

This is a discussion on 100% guarantee to make football more realistic... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
100% guarantee to make football more realistic...

I heard some complain about recruiting where a 3* recruit will have overall rank equal to a 4* recruit. I don't have a problem with that because I think that is realistic. What is not realistic is knowing how good (or bad) a player is because u have a number for all their attributes. Now consider this feature:

What if a football game was made where there was no numerical numbers to assist us? I mean in real life coaches determine a players value and skill during practices and scrimmages and weight room. In the game you would have to determine starters and back ups based on real coaching and not who has the better overall.

What does the board think??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
stewaat

OVR:
Re: 100% guarantee to make football more realistic...

I would love that. No ratings would be 100% fine with me!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

true, but there's no film of game we can watch of these players. Where as real coaches often have highlights of that particular player and can judge his skill on that, whether he may be good in college or not. That isn't something you can accomplish in a video game.
I like your idea and IMO it would make recruiting more fun and definitely a challenge.
In a way, the practices, weight room, etc would be quite a tedious task from week to week, if I'm understanding what you said correctly. I just don't know if this idea has enough substance to legitimately make it into a game.
Thats just what I think.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
true, but there's no film of game we can watch of these players. Where as real coaches often have highlights of that particular player and can judge his skill on that, whether he may be good in college or not. That isn't something you can accomplish in a video game.
I like your idea and IMO it would make recruiting more fun and definitely a challenge.
In a way, the practices, weight room, etc would be quite a tedious task from week to week, if I'm understanding what you said correctly. I just don't know if this idea has enough substance to legitimately make it into a game.
Thats just what I think.
well, this idea was thought up on a whim, no real strategy behind it or if it could work in a video game. I was just watchin football and thinking these guys dont walk around with numbers above their heads so the coaches can see who is good or not. what if the same thing was in a video game.

My thought was you could recruit based on star rating but after they sign ur on ur own as to finding out their placement on the depth chart. I just though it would be a cool feature.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkone
well, this idea was thought up on a whim, no real strategy behind it or if it could work in a video game. I was just watchin football and thinking these guys dont walk around with numbers above their heads so the coaches can see who is good or not. what if the same thing was in a video game.

My thought was you could recruit based on star rating but after they sign ur on ur own as to finding out their placement on the depth chart. I just though it would be a cool feature.
makes sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkone
I heard some complain about recruiting where a 3* recruit will have overall rank equal to a 4* recruit. I don't have a problem with that because I think that is realistic. What is not realistic is knowing how good (or bad) a player is because u have a number for all their attributes. Now consider this feature:

What if a football game was made where there was no numerical numbers to assist us? I mean in real life coaches determine a players value and skill during practices and scrimmages and weight room. In the game you would have to determine starters and back ups based on real coaching and not who has the better overall.

What does the board think??
Real coaches get these numbers in summer camps that they hold. Not in practices and scrimmage.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 10

I for one, would love this type of game. As coaching teens in the Air Force, I still remember having to pull my LG because he could not pass block. Very good at blocking for the run, but couldn't pass block for nothing.

Same would hold true in the game. Watching practice, summer games and having to really notice how each player is performing, not based on an overall rating.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I remember putting this idea out on the old MM site in about 2001 or so and not many people liked it. I think maybe both NCAA and Madden are seen as being closer to sims now and more people might go for it.

The thing I've always wanted with this is attributes for coaches, preferably assistants but at least head coaches, that give them strengths and weaknesses in scouting players. An offensive coordinator who is strong with QBs and WRs might get their ratings very close to what they really are, but if he's weak with RBs he'd scout them somewhat incorrectly. One coach might see, say, Juice Williams with THP 89 and THA 87, while another might see him as 90/91, depending on each coach's QB scouting skill set. You'd have to decide how right or wrong the ratings your coaches report might be.

Ideally, player ratings would even fluctuate based on coaches' abilities, kind of like they did in some previous Maddens. For example, Mike Leach should get more out of pocket QBs than Rich Rodriguez.

Even if we can't get real coaches' names, give them fake names, and put a pool out there that can be hired to get the qualities you want for your staff, based on your style of play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »