Home

The Polls have got to go!

This is a discussion on The Polls have got to go! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #25
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: The Polls have got to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
1) Most of the people working at EA went to schools like San Jose St. so they give love to the small schools.
That's not true. Maybe some of the artists went to art school... but most of the guys on the team went to BCS schools.

I can't think of anyone here who went to SJSU. A few of us did go to UCF though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

IMO this game does a great job of reflecting the polls and the bcs system. A lot of your gripes are not because of the game's faults it's because of the BCS system (all the more reason we need a playoff system). Read the bcs rules if you don't believe. If you finish 6th in the bcs it is entirely possible that you will not be in a bcs bowl game if other teams in your conference are placed ahead of you, or there are a lot of conference champions placed below you as they receive automatic bids, and in some cases non-bcs teams. Even still you might not be guranteed a spot. Look at what happen to Missouri in 07.

If you play a FCS team your strength of schedule will be shot and hence your BCS rank.

I've never had a problem with the poll system. I play as CU and am always ranked ahead of others with the same number of losses because I play a tough out of conference schedule.

If you think a non-bcs team is overrated in the bcs standings, play them the following year, that's what I do.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

There is actually a pretty good way to mitigate most of the bizarre outcomes. In my dynasty after I play my game for the week, I sim the Top 25 and my conference 1 game at a time to make sure the outcomes are reasonable. I generally save after each simmed game and if an upset occurs that would never happen IRL, I exit the dynasty, re-load, and re-sim. This keeps the top 25 under control which in turn keeps all the bowls under control and the Heisman winner generally under control. It doesn't really add too much time to sim from "week" to "week" ... maybe an additional 10 minutes is all.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

But that ruins the chance of an upset, which happens all the time. Look at app st vs Michigan a few years ago, or navy almost knocking off osu, or Houston beating ok st.

As for the heisman race, you'll never see a hb win because rush sim stats are too low and there are better defensive recuits than offensive recuits. After a few years of simming you'll notice that there are numerous defensive players rated 99, while not many offensive players. I'm on my 10th year with cu and I've got 9 guys that are rated 90+ all but 2 are defensive players.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #29
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavmoses07
But that ruins the chance of an upset, which happens all the time. Look at app st vs Michigan a few years ago, or navy almost knocking off osu, or Houston beating ok st.
It just gives me some control over them. I'll still let them happen. If 2 top 25 teams play each other and the lower team beats the higher ranked team then the result stands and if a middle to lower ranked top 25 team loses to someone outside the top 25 then that result stands. That way I still get upsets and there have been plenty of close calls.

There's no doubt that crazy upsets happen every so often but not to the extent that the game thinks they should. By doing what I do I may take some of the "fun" out of the game but I'll trade that for more realism anyday.

So far for the Heisman, I've seen QBs, WRs, and HBs early on. The HBs tend to fall off the radar for the reasons you stated but in the end it's QBs or the WRs those QBs are throwing to. In my 1st season it was pretty much Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford at the top of the list all year with Tebow winning it by 3 pts over McCoy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »