Home

Please get rid of the offseason hidden recruits, completely unrealistic

This is a discussion on Please get rid of the offseason hidden recruits, completely unrealistic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #33
Rookie

antdawg9's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Please get rid of the offseason hidden recruits, completely unrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbly32
You would be right, except he was a one star as a JC and scout bumped him up to five stars when he started to get interest from UCLA (which I mentioned in this same thread). And I'm the "dumb" one...
But as mentioned earlier, he was a 1 star as a HS qb, but years later became a 5 star qb which adds to the OP's argument. Also I'm pretty sure he was a 1 star as a JUCO also, but 99.99% of the recruits on Scout starts out as 1 star prospects. A 1 star on Scout simply means the player hasn't been evaluated yet. Once evaluated they are given a minimum of 2 stars. In his case, he was evaluated and made a 5 star recruit.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #34
Rookie

dbly32's Arena

OVR: 6

If you agree that he was originally a one star as a JC player then didn't he kinda "come out of nowhere?" What's to say that all these guys in the game went without being evaluated and became five star rated players? Granted it wouldn't happen like that every year where the top player in the country is always a guy who is an unknown until the season is over, but it's not like it would never happen. If anything EA overdid it and simply need to tone it down. There are also times when you hear of guys not playing until their senior year in HS and they turn out to be great players.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #35
Rookie

antdawg9's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbly32
If you agree that he was originally a one star as a JC player then didn't he kinda "come out of nowhere?" What's to say that all these guys in the game went without being evaluated and became five star rated players? Granted it wouldn't happen like that every year where the top player in the country is always a guy who is an unknown until the season is over, but it's not like it would never happen. If anything EA overdid it and simply need to tone it down. There are also times when you hear of guys not playing until their senior year in HS and they turn out to be great players.
No he didn't come out of nowhere, that's the point. On Scout 99.9% of hs kids start out as 1 star kids. That doesn't mean they aren't on the radar, just that they haven't been evaluated. They start out by giving 5 stars to the top 10 juniors, than 4 stars to the next 90. After that, everyone is a 1 star until they are evaluated and reranked going into their senior year. They slowly add more of the top players, till finally everyone is ranked. Usually most of the players aren't ranked until August of their senior year, but they are on the radar.

As for JUCO guys, the rankings are MUCH slower and takes longer for alot of the players to get ranked. But the top players are noticed, and in this case, once he was evaluated he was given 5 stars.

For example Cameron Newton was a four star qb coming out of HS. When he left Florida and went to JUCO, everyone knew he was a big time player. But he finally got his 4 star JC ranking on Scout like last month. He didn't come out of nowhere cause everyone knew him, but it just took awhile for him to get re-evaluated.

And your point about guys bursting on the scene, that's a rare case and it does happen, but it's very very very rare. Now alot of times guys will jump from the 3 to a 4, 4 to a 5, or in some instances 3 to a 5(Pat Patterson of Ole Miss comes to mind here, but he was always a 4 on Rivals, so he wasn't that much under the radar.) But most of the times when guys explode from playing one year of HS ball, they usually become a 2 or 3 star and some schools will take notice and try to jump on him and get a steal. Basically my whole point in this is Craft didn't come out of nowhere. People knew who he was and knew he was a big time prospect coming out of junior college. It just took a minute to get ranked. And the example you posted wasn't the best example because you compared his hs ranking to his JUCO ranking.

I got off track here, but my point is, yes they should tone it down big time, and it would be much better if guys were reranked at the end of the year with players moving up and down. And like mentioned earlier they should have a handful of recruits who state they are waiting until their season is over before they deal with recruiting in which you can recruit him anyway, and hope to gain some ground, or wait til after the season to apply the full court press.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #36
Rookie

dbly32's Arena

I look at the 2011 scout recruits page and I see zero five stars, just a bunch of four stars, a random 3 star, and the rest are one stars. Might be a little early in the year, but hey if you're going to put them in your database then you should probably know how good you think they are. Not only that, but I went to page 6 of the 2010 QBs and I saw a bunch of one star seniors. Why on earth would scout put them into their database if they weren't going to evaluate them? What's the point of a five tiered rating system (1/2/3/4/5 stars) if you're not even going to use the lowest one? Why not just make it four instead?

Quote:
A 1 star on Scout simply means the player hasn't been evaluated yet. Once evaluated they are given a minimum of 2 stars. In his case, he was evaluated and made a 5 star recruit.
Craft was a one star his entire senior year and a one star at Mt. Sac right up until he committed to UCLA. According to you, he was never evaluated by scout (until he committed to UCLA) because he never received his minimum of two stars.

Quote:
Basically my whole point in this is Craft didn't come out of nowhere. People knew who he was and knew he was a big time prospect coming out of junior college.
Except that he wasn't a big time prospect going into JC and "came out of nowhere" to become a five star. You think if scout evaluated him as a HS senior he'd be a five star? Not a chance. He wasn't completely unknown, but what was known about him basically said he was nothing special (ironically scout should have stuck to their one star rating on this guy). All of a sudden he has a good year at Mt. SAC and scout decides he's a five star. The point is he absolutely came out of nowhere: he started out as a fringe college level QB that signed with a bottom of the barrel team in SDSU (at a time when his dad was the head coach, who knows if he'd even get that offer were his dad not there). His dad gets fired and catches on at Mt. SAC as the offensive coordinator or something like that, and his son follows him there, still a one star caliber guy. Plays for the team, has a great year, and scout decides that if he had a great year then he must be pretty good. But he wasn't a five star JC going into his senior year, he emerged from "nowhere" (one star/not rated) to five star after he had a great year at his JC.

Only reason I posted his HS page as a one star (and I started to type this out in my previous response but deleted it because it doesn't really matter) is that I'd have to go through the google cache of his Juco page to see the point in time when he was still a one star at Mt. Sac.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #37
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I would much rather have them re-rank two or three times per year as opposed to guys appearing. This would make you look thru the 1* and 2* players more closely.

I already do this and have gotten 2*'s who are as good as some 3* guys. If you look at the ratings closely enough.

It would be cool to get in on a guy who's a 3* but moves up to a 4* or something like that.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 0

Either way, how many Kevin Crafts are there each year?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #39
Rookie

dbly32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBearsRGolden
Either way, how many Kevin Crafts are there each year?
You're right, there aren't too many, I just provided one of the few examples where it did happen and everyone got all crazy. People need to chill the hell out, there are bigger things to gripe about in this game (for example, the fact that I'm #4 in the BCS in my online dynasty yet my only loss is to #1 and I beat both #2 and #3, both of which have two losses).
Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #40
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I would much rather have them re-rank two or three times per year as opposed to guys appearing. This would make you look thru the 1* and 2* players more closely.

I already do this and have gotten 2*'s who are as good as some 3* guys. If you look at the ratings closely enough.

It would be cool to get in on a guy who's a 3* but moves up to a 4* or something like that.
If you look at their ratings, you know almost exactly how good they will be coming in. I don't even acknowledge their stars anymore. I just look at their ratings and make my assumption.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »