Home

Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc.

This is a discussion on Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Banned

TwelveozPlaya21's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

Problem is, EA only cares about the CASUAL FANS the ones that dont nitpick at stuff like this cause usually they only hold onto the game for a month till madden comes out..
Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 19
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

IMO, fixing the option is the top priority. It has to be authentic on both sides of the ball. The option is a college offense. It's one of the major differences between playing a college video game and an NFL video game. I hope that when the potential changes thread from Pasta Padre mentions "locomotion" an option fix is a part of that.

Last edited by LucianoJJ; 11-29-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Banned

steelersfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

The blocking in general is terrible. I never played football so I don't always understand the x's and o's of the game of football in the trenches but I've watched enough football on t.v. to know what it means for a lineman to get to the second level.

Yesterday I was playing around with the game and threw a perfect screen pass. Prior to the screen pass I was pounding the defense with a heavy dose of the run. When it came time for the screen pass I caught the defense in a blitz and as my back caught the ball I had 2 pulling lineman out in front with only one defensive back to block to break it towards the sideline.

And then.....

All at once both lineman turned around to block defenders behind me leaving me 1 on 1 with the defender.

My stiff arm went unsuccessful.... Very frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 31

There are really simple things that need to be implemented by EA in respect to line play

1) Line splits
2) Momentum/push
3) Angles
4) Slants/stunts/submarine (DT's)
5) Backers keeping outside shoulder open forcing runs back towards middle if they are good enough to do their job.

The reality is that unless they give us plays with offensive and defensive playbooks that can incorporate all of this we are screwed. I have lost hope with NCAA football. I just pray someone makes a game that takes into account fundemental football and gives us options to create different coaching philosophies.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
There are really simple things that need to be implemented by EA in respect to line play

1) Line splits
2) Momentum/push
3) Angles
4) Slants/stunts/submarine (DT's)
5) Backers keeping outside shoulder open forcing runs back towards middle if they are good enough to do their job.

The reality is that unless they give us plays with offensive and defensive playbooks that can incorporate all of this we are screwed. I have lost hope with NCAA football. I just pray someone makes a game that takes into account fundemental football and gives us options to create different coaching philosophies.
You say "simple things", but I get the feeling that for team Tiburon these are extraordinarily difficult things to do. I don't know whether its time, or programmer skill, or the limitations of the various gameplay engines, but what ever the reason(s), these things have been missing forever.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
You say "simple things", but I get the feeling that for team Tiburon these are extraordinarily difficult things to do. I don't know whether its time, or programmer skill, or the limitations of the various gameplay engines, but what ever the reason(s), these things have been missing forever.
I agree. I think that if Tiburon was able to make the games play like football, then they would've done so. The fact that it hasn't been implemented makes me believe this as well.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Rookie

jinc1019's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
If Florida wins its 2nd consecutive MNC and Georgia Tech wins the ACC and goes to BCS game, combined with the unexpected performances by Navy, Miss State, and other option-based teams this year....

is there any way EA can keep the option as broken as it currently is?

Let's talk X's and O's.
.....................rs..........................l s..................
.................................................. ....................
cb................rolb........mlb...............lo lb...........cb
....................e...dt.......dt........E...... ................
X....................LT..LG..C..RG..RT............ ..........Z
.................................................. ....H............
.........................T.....Q...F.............. ................

Here's a set Florida can run their inside veer option out of.
If they were to do it to the right side:

* F would dive between the RG and RT and the QB would read the "E" on the give or keep. What does this mean?

* It means the RT is NOT BLOCKING the "E"; instead veering inside to the mlb. This means that there is a lane for F to run through if the QB gives him the ball.

* If the "E" anticipates a QB keep and stands still or widens out, the QB gives it. If the "E" pinches down to stop the F, the QB will keep and.....

* ...reads the LOLB on the keep/pitch. The H is NOT BLOCKING the LOLB in front of him; instead arc-ing to the ls. This allows the QB to read that LOLB.

* If the LOLB anticipates a QB keep and pinches on that QB, he will pitch it to the T, who is looping around in pitch relationship. If that LOLB widens out to stop that T, the QB will tuck it and run to daylight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81xw6fwHKM

Here's the same play out of a different formation from Georgia Tech. There's a "Switch" in the blocking assignment - the WR blocks the safety, the slot blocks the cornerback - but the essentials are the same: two players are left unblocked so that the QB can read them.

What does EA get wrong?

The linemen in NCAA block straight ahead with no rhyme or reason, meaning the QB cannot really read anyone.

This is no small problem - if the DE and OLB is blocked, that means the MLB and FS are NOT blocked. The play is now completely different.

If you don't think this sort of thing matters, that's fine, you're probably pretty concerned about the 17th Oregon uniform or the correct banners on Michigan State's sideline.

BUT if you care about what happens ON the field, you'll probably agree that EA has to get this right.

If the game is too broken to leave a player unblocked, is EA going to try to fix something that deep OR just cover it up with more "features" and "modes" ??
Wow...excellent points. The option is definitely broken and the main reason for it is exactly what you stated: the offensive line, especially the tackles, block straight forward. In fact, I would argue none of the football games have developed a proper offensive line that attempts to push the defense in one direction.

TEAMS:
Baseball: Red Sox
Basketball: Celtics, Duke, U Richmond
Football: Duke, U Richmond (FCS)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7

Jinc: agreed. The zone runs (and, thus, the zone reads) suffer for the same reason.

jfsolo/jacory12: I'm sure yall are right. But even if these things aren't simple, couldn't they devote some time to these rather essential elements instead of stuff that is comparatively "fluffier"?

Now, I know the answer to that: market demands.

There are 30000000 threads in here about helmets, dreads, minor uniform color issues, stadium flags, etc., and 2-3 about offensive line issues, schematic deficiencies, etc.
And these are the "hardcore gamers" !

So, maybe it doesn't help EA's pocketbook to get the football stuff right if they can get money off the fluff. I'd just like a response.

Not a single developer has ever addressed any question on this topic.
I wish one would just leave a comment on here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »