Home

Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc.

This is a discussion on Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 17
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

Agreed...O-line/D-line interaction has been my number 1 gripe for a while with this and madden. I'm still waiting on them to have a real pocket formed around the QB. I absolutely HATE the way DE's play in these games, they don't get upfield at all.

As for option, zone read blocking, it is awful. I mean the zone read is damn near useless. Especially on Heisman level(poor blocking plus the CPU reads your plays on Heisman too much).

I hate teams picking Florida and being able to zing the ball around the field all day...thats just not the way Florida plays. Florida should excel at their running game b/c of talent, play design, and technique like they do in real life.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA staff has access to college coaches/experts to the point where they can discuss philosophies and really get into the nuts and bolts of how blocking schemes work.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Agreed...O-line/D-line interaction has been my number 1 gripe for a while with this and madden. I'm still waiting on them to have a real pocket formed around the QB. I absolutely HATE the way DE's play in these games, they don't get upfield at all.
I agree. It's because the game engine still relies on suction blocking and a Tecmo style system of breaking off the tackle. In real life a DE doesn't have to fully engage an OT to perform an outside rush. He tries to use leverage and get underneath the OT while still moving forward. EA forces you to engage in a block and then defeat it to make a play.

I don't want to start a flame war but this was an area that 2K did extremely well years ago. It's one of the biggest area the EA team needs to tackle with regards to gameplay.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
MVP

thejake's Arena

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-shotgun.html

here is a similar post i made a while back with some nice pics and illustrations from a good website.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
You say "simple things", but I get the feeling that for team Tiburon these are extraordinarily difficult things to do. I don't know whether its time, or programmer skill, or the limitations of the various gameplay engines, but what ever the reason(s), these things have been missing forever.
I don't think so because 2k has done it. Play APF2k8. Watch how they do the line play.

Really it comes down to animations and what triggers them. EA's animations seem to be packaged by the playbooks. The playbooks lack depth. Therefore we are stuck with bad gameplay. I think EA really just needs to allow us to control playbooks and 90% of gameplay would be solved.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
MVP

thejake's Arena

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/or...fensive-tackle

Here is a variation on the option of reading the DT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejake
http://smartfootball.com/run-game/or...fensive-tackle

Here is a variation on the option of reading the DT.
That guy really knows his stuff. I love his breakdowns.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »