Home

Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc.

This is a discussion on Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, etc.

If Florida wins its 2nd consecutive MNC and Georgia Tech wins the ACC and goes to BCS game, combined with the unexpected performances by Navy, Miss State, and other option-based teams this year....

is there any way EA can keep the option as broken as it currently is?

Let's talk X's and O's.
.....................rs..........................l s..................
.................................................. ....................
cb................rolb........mlb...............lo lb...........cb
....................e...dt.......dt........E...... ................
X....................LT..LG..C..RG..RT............ ..........Z
.................................................. ....H............
.........................T.....Q...F.............. ................

Here's a set Florida can run their inside veer option out of.
If they were to do it to the right side:

* F would dive between the RG and RT and the QB would read the "E" on the give or keep. What does this mean?

* It means the RT is NOT BLOCKING the "E"; instead veering inside to the mlb. This means that there is a lane for F to run through if the QB gives him the ball.

* If the "E" anticipates a QB keep and stands still or widens out, the QB gives it. If the "E" pinches down to stop the F, the QB will keep and.....

* ...reads the LOLB on the keep/pitch. The H is NOT BLOCKING the LOLB in front of him; instead arc-ing to the ls. This allows the QB to read that LOLB.

* If the LOLB anticipates a QB keep and pinches on that QB, he will pitch it to the T, who is looping around in pitch relationship. If that LOLB widens out to stop that T, the QB will tuck it and run to daylight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81xw6fwHKM

Here's the same play out of a different formation from Georgia Tech. There's a "Switch" in the blocking assignment - the WR blocks the safety, the slot blocks the cornerback - but the essentials are the same: two players are left unblocked so that the QB can read them.

What does EA get wrong?

The linemen in NCAA block straight ahead with no rhyme or reason, meaning the QB cannot really read anyone.

This is no small problem - if the DE and OLB is blocked, that means the MLB and FS are NOT blocked. The play is now completely different.

If you don't think this sort of thing matters, that's fine, you're probably pretty concerned about the 17th Oregon uniform or the correct banners on Michigan State's sideline.

BUT if you care about what happens ON the field, you'll probably agree that EA has to get this right.

If the game is too broken to leave a player unblocked, is EA going to try to fix something that deep OR just cover it up with more "features" and "modes" ??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Rookie

gofresno's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

i wish they would get Nevada's pistol option offense right, that offense is deadly when run right. I would love to use it on a dynasty.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Option still BROKEN despite success of Florida, Georgia Tech, Navy, Miss State, e

How long have we've been saying this?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofresno
i wish they would get Nevada's pistol option offense right, that offense is deadly when run right. I would love to use it on a dynasty.
me too.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
How long have we've been saying this?
forever
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Pro

wisecav's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofresno
This!! This!!
Boston Celtics
Boston Red Sox
Washington Capitals
Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 31

The biggest problem is with the line splits....which spreads the defensive lineman out so these reads are even more important to the running lanes.

Frankly I don't think EA's game engines will be able to do this on this gen machines.

I have lost all hope about real in the trenches football.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Yea, line splits would be nice.

But... everyone wants 10000 different features. No one wants gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »