Home

player switching

This is a discussion on player switching within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
player switching

I hope someone can help me with this. I can't figure out the player switching. I never know who I'm gonna get. I would appreciate if someone could explain the logic. I thought it used to be closest to the ball. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Rookie

skeezapleez's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: player switching

Happens to me quite often too. I think I'm going to switch to the guy closest to the ball, so I anticipate my controls as I switch and end up dropping the guy off coverage or running away from the guy with the ball. Very frustrating.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11

I fully understand! Honestly, i think it is much more senstive, maybe it even has to do with the new camera. But when the ball is in the air, it definitely feels like i always pull my guy off coverage. It basically feels like if the ball is in the air, it switches to the closest guy that the ball is "flying over". In the past it use to switch to the guy who was "covering" the potential WR (my QB isn't very accurate, LoL!)

On offense, I use USER CATCH and have noticed that it switches to the intended WR. Not necessarily the closest. At that point i have to hit the switch button twice.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

I read somewhere from an EA rep that on D the switching was changed from "the player closest to the ball" to "the player in best position to make a play"... I think it's stupid because the game can't magically know how you're gonna play and you can't magically know which player the game thinks is in best position. They need to go back to the closest to the ball so we know who we're gonna be switching to.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
Post Re: player switching

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisejames
I read somewhere from an EA rep that on D the switching was changed from "the player closest to the ball" to "the player in best position to make a play"... I think it's stupid because the game can't magically know how you're gonna play and you can't magically know which player the game thinks is in best position. They need to go back to the closest to the ball so we know who we're gonna be switching to.
Yes, it has been like this for a few years now. I don't think that it should be changed, I just think there should be a toggle:

(1) best position (ALMOST used to it)
(2) closest (they havent' had this option for quite a few years now)
(3) directional (basically, you press a direction, and a switch button, and switch to the player in that direction.)

I am ALMOST used to it.

I just know that many times, it switches to a player, different from who I chose, and then I end up taking that player out of the play. I mean to say, often times who the computer switches to may very well be the best one to make a play (had I known that was where the play was going)

So, you're left with a catch-22: Try to guess and hope you're right on the best one to make a play, or switch and wait a moment to see who you get control of, and then start pressing buttons ... the only problem with that is with the advent of the analog stick, and its increased sensitivity, there is an enhanced chance that you could just "barely" be touching it, and it move the player where you don't want to go, busting the play up entirely.

And, on pass defense (especially deep passes) there's no time to guess who you're switching to, as if you guess wrong and press in the wrong direction, you can royally screw up the coverage and give up a big play.
Yeah, it bites sometimes.

To me, the logical switch on a pass defense is to switch to the defender closest to the receiver, and if you switch again, it should switch to the defender next-closest to the receiver.

But, then again, there have been many picks I made on deep balls that went awry, based on it properly switching to the player in a best position to get to the ball.

So, you win some, and you lose some. The best option would be to give us a choice.

Basketball games usually give basic choice on switching: closest, directional, or exact.

I think football could give us closest, directional, or "best guess", but at least let us choose how we want to switch.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »