Home

left tackles

This is a discussion on left tackles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: left tackles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechfan44
Linemen mean squat in this game all you need is speed on both sides of the ball to win
Exactly. You can sub in WR's as your O-Line and you will have more success because they're faster.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

thanks for all the responses guys! though it does sadden me that this happens so frequently it seems. playing with washington state i was so happy to get a LT to 99 thinking if a sack came from anywhere it would be my horrible right guard but of course the LT leads the team in sacks allowed at seasons end and the right guard was amazing comparatively

also i have noticed the RT for the comp always sucks more than the LT as well. my LE almost always has more sacks at seasons end as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

A lot depends on awareness aswell

Most of the OL in this game might have great strength and 80+ ratings for Pass Blocking but if their awareness sucks and you play with sliders that reduce pass blocking down instead of up then your creating a dominoe effect regardless of their pass block rating

AWARENESS plays a huge role.....But for some reason EA never takes the time out to properly rate the Offensive lineman in NCAA Football

For example here's a few default LT's in the game

Maryland #74 is a 90 overall but he has only 66 awareness
Arkansas #73 is 91 overall but he has only 78 awareness
Kansas #77 is 90 overall but his awareness is 76
Georgia #60 is 90 overall but his awareness is 68

Now take a look at some of the top LT's awareness ratings default in Madden 10

Matt Light is a 92 overall with 92 awareness
Marcus McNeil 89 overall with 82 awarness
Joe Thomas 97 overall with 90 awareness
Jordan Gross 95 overall with 94 awareness
Bryant McKinnie 90 overall with 86 awareness

So you can clearly see the inconsistencies in awareness for LT's in NCAA 10 vs LT's in Madden 10. I think anything below 85 awareness IMO in this game represents an average Offensive Lineman in terms of how the AI player perfoms on the field

I understand college players aren't as smart but the problem is when you give these LT's in NCAA 10 average to below average awareness ratings it kinda hurts the actual game play if you are not simming the results.

You can use extreme measures by taking the passing slider and boosting up significantly to enhance the effectiveness if your OL

It's kinda like the DB's get a guy with terrible low awareness and even if he has good zone coverage skills you'll sometimes see him not locate or react to the ball

I personally don't think a player(s) strength is as important as awareness is within actual played games compaired to games that are simmed

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
A lot depends on awareness aswell

Most of the OL in this game might have great strength and 80+ ratings for Pass Blocking but if their awareness sucks and you play with sliders that reduce pass blocking down instead of up then your creating a dominoe effect regardless of their pass block rating

AWARENESS plays a huge role.....But for some reason EA never takes the time out to properly rate the Offensive lineman in NCAA Football

For example here's a few default LT's in the game

Maryland #74 is a 90 overall but he has only 66 awareness
Arkansas #73 is 91 overall but he has only 78 awareness
Kansas #77 is 90 overall but his awareness is 76
Georgia #60 is 90 overall but his awareness is 68

Now take a look at some of the top LT's awareness ratings default in Madden 10

Matt Light is a 92 overall with 92 awareness
Marcus McNeil 89 overall with 82 awarness
Joe Thomas 97 overall with 90 awareness
Jordan Gross 95 overall with 94 awareness
Bryant McKinnie 90 overall with 86 awareness

So you can clearly see the inconsistencies in awareness for LT's in NCAA 10 vs LT's in Madden 10. I think anything below 85 awareness IMO in this game represents an average Offensive Lineman in terms of how the AI player perfoms on the field

I understand college players aren't as smart but the problem is when you give these LT's in NCAA 10 average to below average awareness ratings it kinda hurts the actual game play if you are not simming the results.

You can use extreme measures by taking the passing slider and boosting up significantly to enhance the effectiveness if your OL

It's kinda like the DB's get a guy with terrible low awareness and even if he has good zone coverage skills you'll sometimes see him not locate or react to the ball

I personally don't think a player(s) strength is as important as awareness is within actual played games compaired to games that are simmed
you're absolutely right man...as much as ppl dont realize, awarness means alot in the game
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Rookie

Thanks for the big tip/answer on awareness. Though the player has graduated I think I remember his awareness being somewhere in the low 70's or high 60's. That awareness combined with the difference in sliders maybe was the reason for his overall rating defying performance over the course of his 4 years then.
Thanks for such a detailed reply! I will definitely take awareness into more consideration when recruiting linemen now.

BTW: what is a good number or rating to aim for when recruiting linemen? The reason I ask is there is an home state 5 star guard with B and B- ratings in all the blocking categories, and D in awareness.
Also other posters mentioned speed as being important. What speed should I look for in linemen. That same 5 star has D- speed but a 3 star recruit has D speed.

one last question. currently i have a left tackle with 72 awareness and 70 speed and a right tackle with 77 awareness and 71 speed. should i switch them?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

There is a very simple explanation to why LTs preform much worse than RTs regardless of rating. If the defense only brings the four down linemen then the LT is always one on one with his DE but the RT always has help from the RG. This will happen EVERY time the defense only rushes four.

GOOD JOB EA!!!
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Rookie

is completely unrealistic to expect some better blocking schemes from EA then to alleviate that problem? For instance I would love to be able to set double teams and assign blocks so I don't have my center attempting to block an OLB he has no hope of reaching. Whats even more annoying is a DT is then completely left unguarded while the center attempts to run over and help the tackle. x_x
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

I've had the same problem. I noticed while watching all of the replays of these plays that the left tackle for whatever reason just stands behind the left guard when the ball is snapped. He doesn't try to set up the pocket especially on plays where the RE and DT cross over on their stunts. It messes with the LT only when they do this for some reason and he will let whoever he is supposed to guard run right past him. If the defense isn't blitzing or I don't run out of the pocket its usually the only reason I get sacked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »