Home

please tell me... no more run commit

This is a discussion on please tell me... no more run commit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: please tell me... no more run commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
I hate all commit and gameplan features. How is that realistic?

Can you imagine the conversations that go along with each "agressive" and "conservative" setting... lol I HATE this feature. football is about situational play-calling... not flipping switches.

and what about the convos that go along with the commit features...

(run commit)head coach: "Hey, front seven... turn into a fireball and penetrate 10yds into the backfield in 1 second"

I don't like the feature either, I don't even want them to fix it I just want it scrapped from the game.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Agreed. Get rid of the run/pass commit. Get rid of Jump Snap every play without any penalty. Just horrible ideas. Or at least make it so if you run commit your guys don't instantly get to the quarterback.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Run/Pass commit is a great feature, just easily abused/cheesed with online. If you play someone who actually knows football you will never stop a short yardage situation without it. I know some will say "Well fix the game!" and I understand that but those features are actually realistic.

Run Commit: Defensive players will jump the snap when they know its' a running play. EA doesn't simulate the lineman diving at each others legs or whatever their doing. That's cool its' a video game, they input something that they thought could help.

Pass Commit: Slants/Drags/PA have high success in their video game. Don't you want something as a safety net that keeps your guys in position just a little bit?? In real life, when its' 3rd and long the safeties will not bite on a play fake. EA tried to help by putting something in their to combat users who PA every damn time. I actually applaud them for trying.

If these gameplan features bother you stop playing randoms online or get out of your BS online dynasty. Play people who use the features as they are intended to be used. Don't take something out of the game because you played some rotten apples who abused the features. Its' a video game, glitching/hacking/people trying to abuse the AI will always happen, don't knock EA for trying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

its inthe gamei think the virtual network video i saw it there
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattax3
(run commit)head coach: "Hey, front seven... turn into a fireball and penetrate 10yds into the backfield in 1 second"
el oh el

I honestly never used the run or pass commit.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I understand both sides of this argument. There is no way a team can just tell it's players to "commit to the run" and expect it to happen. That's completely unrealistic. You call your play and hope your players can stop them with it. There are teams in NCAA that will average close to 300 yards a game on the ground. Georgia Tech runs the ball all day. Those teams ARE trying to stop the run but they struggle because they simply can't do it.

On the other hand, players do cheat in real life. If the offense is in the I-formation on 3rd and 5, the LBs are mentally preparing themselves for the pass and won't over-commit to the run or fall for play action nearly as easily as if it was 3rd and short. Same goes for the DL pass rush. On 3rd and 15 the DL will pin their ears back and go after the QB. Not so on 3rd and 3 even if they are in the Dime package.

I think the idea of run commit or rush the passer as a mindset for players but it should have a minimal effect on the outcome rather than a Tecmo sized boost. I think most of the people that hated run commit were because guys could use it in any formation to stuff the run and there was little risk involved - all reward. The implementation needs to be better.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Run/Pass commit is a great feature, just easily abused/cheesed with online. If you play someone who actually knows football you will never stop a short yardage situation without it. I know some will say "Well fix the game!" and I understand that but those features are actually realistic.

Run Commit: Defensive players will jump the snap when they know its' a running play. EA doesn't simulate the lineman diving at each others legs or whatever their doing. That's cool its' a video game, they input something that they thought could help.

Pass Commit: Slants/Drags/PA have high success in their video game. Don't you want something as a safety net that keeps your guys in position just a little bit?? In real life, when its' 3rd and long the safeties will not bite on a play fake. EA tried to help by putting something in their to combat users who PA every damn time. I actually applaud them for trying.

If these gameplan features bother you stop playing randoms online or get out of your BS online dynasty. Play people who use the features as they are intended to be used. Don't take something out of the game because you played some rotten apples who abused the features. Its' a video game, glitching/hacking/people trying to abuse the AI will always happen, don't knock EA for trying.
...Nicely put.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Rookie

Lynx34's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I understand both sides of this argument. There is no way a team can just tell it's players to "commit to the run" and expect it to happen. That's completely unrealistic. You call your play and hope your players can stop them with it. There are teams in NCAA that will average close to 300 yards a game on the ground. Georgia Tech runs the ball all day. Those teams ARE trying to stop the run but they struggle because they simply can't do it.

On the other hand, players do cheat in real life. If the offense is in the I-formation on 3rd and 5, the LBs are mentally preparing themselves for the pass and won't over-commit to the run or fall for play action nearly as easily as if it was 3rd and short. Same goes for the DL pass rush. On 3rd and 15 the DL will pin their ears back and go after the QB. Not so on 3rd and 3 even if they are in the Dime package.

I think the idea of run commit or rush the passer as a mindset for players but it should have a minimal effect on the outcome rather than a Tecmo sized boost. I think most of the people that hated run commit were because guys could use it in any formation to stuff the run and there was little risk involved - all reward. The implementation needs to be better.
You're absolutely right on a lot of counts, but you bring up the point, perhaps unintentionally, that the run/pass mindset is tied largely into down and distance. EA Tiburon should, instead of a pre-snap adjustment, make it an under the hood type thing. Players with a higher "discipline" rating, we'll call it, should be more likely to "pay attention" to the down and distance and play run or pass as needed.

This would also open things up for the offense a little bit. Conservative play callers could get big gains out of running a draw on 3rd and long if the defensive players are more apt to play pass. But guess what? This happens in real life. Draws can get big gains on 3rd and long, if executed properly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »