Home

Dynasty Recruiting

This is a discussion on Dynasty Recruiting within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Dynasty Recruiting

I think they need to get rid of the cutting part because teams really don't cut a player they offer a scholarship to unless they break rules. They might take their scholarship away but still keep them on the team to earn it back. I played for a team that had 120 players on the team including the walk ons.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_pick
Here's a post i wrote a while ago for ncaastrategies.

"a few ideas for recruiting:

i would love to see junior days. maybe select 20 recruits that you are interested in and have them come in for a junior day. it would be nice to see recruits compete in drills (oklahoma, qb accuracy, etc) but in the interest of programming it's not necessary. just have a write up for all pertinent data (40 times for HB's, WR's, CB's, list best pass and run blockers, list best tacklers, etc). That way you have a base for knowing which recruits you want to offer early . . . you know, like in real life recruiting.

and i would also like to see National Signing Day at least exist in this game. I can't believe the biggest day of the recruiting calendar is not even mentioned in a game about college football. players commit as juniors and decommit all the time. its part of what makes recruiting so crazy. just ask any A&M fan if they know the name corey nelson. if they follow recruiting they'll probably spend the next 10 minutes cursing and/or crying. if you truly care about recruiting accuracy in this game you should want NSD and decommitments. after all EA . . . if its in the game shouldn't it be in the game?

all frustration and negativity aside i absolutely love ncaa 10 and can't wait for 11. i'm sure it will be a great game and can't wait for the day when recruiting in-game mirrors recruiting in real life."

Let me know what you guys think. I would like to think EA would want an accurate schedule for recruiting but who knows.
I like your ideas but the one with the decommits would be hard to implement correctly because some conferences have rules on decommits, like in the big ten, teams can't recruit players that have already committed to another school in the conference. I think a few other conferences have rules that similar as well.

I wish they would add player personalities kind of like NBA 2k, where players can be unpredictable, and the other types they have which could go into the recruiting write up. This could help you decide if you can bring that player in or not to fit your teams overall personality and chemistry or if the coach you have can handle a player with that type of personality.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #35
Rookie

user_pick's Arena

OVR: 0

That's interesting about the Big 10 not being able to recruit players committed to other schools. That doesn't mean a recruit can't decommit on his own though, right? I've heard of kids decommitting because the school they've pledged to is no longer "showing them the love" they once did and now they want to "open things back up before making a final decision". I do know that no recruit is officially bound to his school until he signs the letter of intent on National Signing Day.

I think there was a little confusion on my part regarding the junior day part of your previous post. What I meant to convey is at no point in the recruiting system in '10 (or any previous year to my knowledge) can you even look at a list of top juniors in the country, not to mention talk to them or work them out at a camp. A list of top recruits in-state with write ups on combine info would be more than enough. Maybe tie it in to Pipeline States so that a&m, texas, ou, etc would have better info on the recruits in texas than a team like usc who does not use texas as a pipeline state. Just a thought.

Recruit personalities is a great idea. I think it would be essential to bring back the whole "Team Discipline/Suspensions" feature. If you sign $h!the@ds to your class they would have a greater chance of doing something boneheaded and getting suspended or outright booted from the team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #36
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_pick
That's interesting about the Big 10 not being able to recruit players committed to other schools.
That's not a Big 10 rule, Kingbrandon is wrong. Coaches in the Big 10 have an unwritten rule that if a kid commits to another Big 10 school they will leave them alone. Rich Rod didn't abide by that when he started at Michigan and stole a Purdue and Penn State recruit. Joe Tiller called Rich Rod a snake oil salesman after he did that.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/200...-oil-salesman/
Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's not a Big 10 rule, Kingbrandon is wrong. Coaches in the Big 10 have an unwritten rule that if a kid commits to another Big 10 school they will leave them alone. Rich Rod didn't abide by that when he started at Michigan and stole a Purdue and Penn State recruit. Joe Tiller called Rich Rod a snake oil salesman after he did that.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/200...-oil-salesman/
Well regardless teams still follow the rule. Rich Rod does now apparently because we haven't heard any bickering about him doing it lately. It sill a authentic part of the conference and the game just as other things I've heard complain about being in the game and not being in the game.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #38
Rookie

cecondlife's Arena

OVR: 1

what about limiting the number of schollies.. So you can have a 28 class one yr and that might only leave you with 15 for the next yr because you had large classes the previous yrs. Might make you think alot more of who you are recruiting...

would be nice
Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I am going to post what I posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I want to recruit guys based off of simple things... Their high school stats, their 40's, verticals, 225 reps, etc. Then when they come into your dynasty and are on your team, you aren't shown ratings, but the measurables still and their pros/ cons. Here is an example...

I am in my Miami dynasty. I recruit a 4* RB Jamar Dawkins. In his player card I can view the following:

"High School Stats"
- 1,466 Rush Yards
- 316 Rush Attempts
- 4.6 YPC
- 22 Rushing TD's

- 653 Receiving Yards
- 27 Receptions
- 24.2 YPR
- 12.3 YAC
- 9 Receiving TD's

"Measurables"
- 4. 47 40 Yard Dash
- 36" Vertical
- 11 Reps 225lbs
- 4.11 Cone Drill

"Build"
- 5 Feet 11 Inches
- 217 Pounds

"Pros/ Cons"
- Has Good speed(Player has good speed for his position)
- Above Average Strength(Player has above average strength for his position)
- Less Than Average Hands(Player is not the most dependable receiver)
- Poor Ball Carrying Skills(Player is prone to trying to make a big play and fumbles more so than not)
- Undisciplined(Player will make many mistakes like false starts for example)

Now, thats just an example of something I would like to see when recruiting a player. You could rate his Speed/Strength/Hands by a system like Terrible, Poor, Less than average, Average, Above Average, Good, Elite.

Then when you sign the player, you will start to uncover more of his pros/cons until you can't receive any more info on him. Also, the only ratings I would like to see are: Experience, Composure, Consistency, Work Ethic

Experience - This rating will determine how often your player will play to his full ability and will avoid mistakes. This will more often than not start off around a D when the player first joins the team. Until you start giving him snaps it will stay there too. Say he is a backup his Freshman year and only has 35 snaps total for that year. It will raise to a D+. The in his Sophomore year he gets more snaps and it raises to a C-. Then his Junior Year he starts and by the end of that year its a B+. Then midway through his senior year it finally reaches A. What games and situations they play in should effect this. If your starter gets injured and the Freshman goes in during a bowl game, his experience should go up 50% faster than normal. So getting 60 snaps in that game should take him to a C/C+ instead of D+/C-.

Composure - This is how well your player comes back and performs in bad situations. If your QB throws a interception on the 2nd drive of the game, this may rattle him and he may not play to his full ability. But if he has B+ Composure, it will barely effect him. This should gradually get better over time, but is usually a set item. Players don't get better at taking in mistakes. Some QBs handle it better than others. They do get better at handling it, but not a great improvement. So a freshman QB may come in with C Composure and graduate with B.

Consistency - This is pretty much self explanatory. If you recruit a great QB, but his consistency is only a D+, then he will have some great drives, but he'll also have some where he is just terrible off target. This rating will get better over time, but much like composure, it will not raise too much. A good QB should come in the B consistency and leave with A-/A. The great QBs like Peyton Manning type QBs will come in with B+ and leave with A+.

Work Ethic - This rating determines how well your player progresses in the off season. You may land a great recruit, but he has a D- in Work Ethic and only adds one point to his overall after his freshman year. So even though he comes in at a 78, he will only be an 80 his junior year. Then you may land an okay recruit that comes in at a 70, but he has an A in work ethic and by his Junior year he is an 83 and starts over the "better" prospect he came in behind.

I think having all this in place of the ratings system we have now would be much much better. It would add that strategic level back to dynasties. Do you go for the RB who has a great player card, but has a questionable Work Ethic that stands at a C, or do you take that 3* RB that has an above average player card, but has a B+ in work ethic?

Also, to keep the Work Ethic rating fro dominating, having an A+ won't guarantee 5+ points progression every year. If the guy has a bad consistency rating, that may effect his progression. EA would have to balance it out so you don't always go for the player with a great work ethic rating.

― Plato
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #40
Rookie

hawkeyebred2332's Arena

OVR: 2

Canes as I first read through your post I didn't really like it, but then I got to the 4 "ratings". I really like what your saying with the experience, composure, consistency, work ethic. Would definitely add more strategy and would really add depth and realism.

Only problem is it is often tough to identify things like consistency, composure and work ethic when a player is still in high school. All 3 of those things can be improved as the player ages and matures, and receives coaching.

And for the guy who mentioned a scholarship cap, that is another point I wanted to touch on. I hate the "25 per year" idea right now, what is that? I know it has been around forever but who on earth came up with this. There are years where I only have say, 8 seniors, which means I'll be returning 62/70 of my guys, yet can still bring in 25 scholarship players.

The whole point of a scholarship cap is that you do NOT have 25 shollies to give every year, somtimes you have more and sometimes you have less. Teams do not come into spring with 80 guys on scholarship then just cut 10 of them. Just give us the 70 (actually should be 85 but that is another conversation) and let us recruit up to that marker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »