Home

Game Planning vs. Game Flow

This is a discussion on Game Planning vs. Game Flow within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Game Planning vs. Game Flow

I think EA is actually on to something here. While the Game Flow feature in Madden 11 is being bucked by hardcore simulation gamers because of its current parameters, the aspect of creating a gameday play calling chart intrigues me. The concept is realistic. You don't go into a game with a playbook of 300 plays at your disposal. College coaches get 20 hours a week to prepare for a game, so gameplan installation is limited. It's a handicap that forces you to strategize before you take a snap. Where Madden's Game Flow feature seems to make the game easier, I'd tweak it to make the game more challenging.

First, you could only install plays on you playcalling chart pre-game. Plays would be listed in situational categorizes. Like in Game Flow, each play installed would have a frequency rating. In the pre-game menu, you take plays from your full team playbook and drag them onto your playcalling chart. Simple, as shown in Madden.

Second, while you would not be allowed to install new plays, you would be allowed to change frequency ratings for existing plays within your chart at halftime. This would give gamers some flexibility in halftime adjustments.

You can go away from your play calling chart anytime you call a time out. As in real life, some times coaches call a timeout to draw up a specific play that may not be on his chart. To jump back into your gameplan, hit the left or right trigger.

Third, like in Game Flow, plays would be signaled in. However, coordinators aren't wired into the quarterback's helmets in college, so the plays come from the quarterback in the huddle. The pre-snap coaching cam would be disabled with this feature - forcing you to remember your plays. Also, home field advantage could become an issue with the audio levels. Maybe you don't hear the whole play if you're in a hostile environment? Use a couple of quarterback or huddle cut scenes with few different QB voices, so it doesn't get stale.

This is where Madden is going wrong. Throw some obstacles at the user with this feature. Make calling plays a game within the game. Don't tell us where to throw the ball or what hole to run through. Give me a personnel grouping and force me to remember the routes and reads. Makes the game faster, but more challenging at the same time.

Potential Offensive PlayChart: I'm only vaguely familiar with how these look in real life. Each coach has different ways of drawing them up.

Script: The first 10 plays of the game. A lot of coordinators use scripted plays to open the game. This was made popular by Bill Walsh at San Francisco in the 80s. Some coaches script by series, some by number of plays. Scripted plays get called in chronological order, obviously. I'd make this an option category on the chart. If you don't script plays, the CPU goes directly to situational play calls.

Openers: These are your 1st and 10, 2nd and 10 type play calls. These plays are called early in a series knowing they set up later play calls. (Ten slots)

Closers: These are your 3rd and short, 4th and short type play calls. The plays you call when you have to move the chains with minimal yardage needed. (Four slots)

Coins: These are the plays you would call when the defense is expected to line up in a nickel or dime on 1st or 2nd down. Maybe a 1st and 15 situation that requires a draw or screen pass. (Three slots)

Coins Plus: These are the plays you would call when the defense is expected to line up in a nickel or dime on 3rd or 4th and long. Plus meaning, you are behind on down plus distance. (Five slots)

Red Zone: A general term used in football, but the area between the opponents 20 and five yard line. (Seven slots)

Safe Zone: Plays you call when you're backed up inside your own 10-yard line. Maybe three or four plays to get yourself out of your hole and into some openers. Also referred to as the backed up offense. (Three slots)

2-minute: A combination of quick passes and to take advantage of any prevent defense before the end of the half. (Eight slots)

4-minute: Run heavy assortment of plays that comes into affect when you're ahead with limited possessions left in the game. (Six slots)

Goal Line: The goal line offense would be anything inside the five yard line. Four plays here would be pushing it because goal line offense is usually a small part of practice. (Four slots)

2-point conversation: This is fairly self explanatory. Maybe three plays on install, knowing you can call a timeout for something out of the playbook. (Three slots)

Daggers: Big momentum plays that are called when the game is close and you're looking to put a team away in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Logically, this is a situational category that has very few plays. It presents itself on 1st and five or 2nd and short. (Two slots)

Madden is giving you 15 play slots per situation, which is probably too many for every situation. Many of these plays will be redundant, but no coordinator has 180 plays on his chart. In all, I'd aim for more like 60 slots or so. Substitutions by formation would follow your pre-game set up or fatigue levels. Pre-snap audible options and motion remains intact.

The defensive play chart is more straight forward, but has the same parameters as the offense chart. Plays are called by offensive personnel. Again, very similar to what EA is doing with Madden, but streamlined in a way to make play calling more challenging rather than easier. Handicapping your play selection during games and testing your abilities to strategize before games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Game Planning vs. Game Flow

its all pretty lame if you ask me...I can use my brain as I go.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

I liked the OP, good read and some interesting ideas there...sadly, I think you put more thought and effort into your post to come up with cool ways to use the feature than EA did after they decided to use it.

It will be generic and useless and forgotten within weeks after release - just like Superstar Mode in Madden or Campus Legend in NCAA.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree, I think game planning is the future. GameFlow seems meh, but if it makes teams actually play like their real-life counterparts then I'm all for that.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

in that list of possible features it have something similar to gameplan and gameflow. so maybe it makes it in maybe not
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

If they ever include a coaching carousel, then playbooks/plays could be part of each coach's or O/D Coordinator profile like in real life vs belonging to a school.

The size of their O/D playbook could depend on their experience.
Even further, QB exp./yr could decide the amount of Off plays available for the QB to run.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 33

Is gameplan/gameflow in NCAA 11?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Rookie

NDNathan's Arena

OVR: 3

Great post. I would enjoy a feature that worked as you described. This could be a revolutionary change, adding strategy to the game that has never before been imagined. I hope EA gives serious consideration to what you proposed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »