Home

Online $10 extra for used copies.....

This is a discussion on Online $10 extra for used copies..... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #41
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Online $10 extra for used copies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
Another thing, I am thinking that EA must really feel this will be the greatest NCAA football game they have ever released on any console. They have to be in order to be starting this new $10 policy. It would be pretty stupid if the game was as bad as the last two years, talk about loosing sales......
EA is doing this for all EA Sports titles because they have shareholders to report to. EA just announced that they lost over $600 million in the past fiscal year.

Whenever a company loses $ they must come up with an action plan to improve their financial situation. Apparently EA thinks this is a good way. Also, EA told shareholders they might consider charging for extended demos and betas as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Here's another problem: EA is claiming that people who are purchasing "used" copies of the game are creating a burden on the servers and they need the extra revenue to cover these costs. If I'm not mistaking if player A sells their game and player B purchases this game used.... hasn't player B just replaced player A on the servers. Once player A purchased the game new for $60 the fee for the servers was paid in full.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #43
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
I was thinking more about this last night. I have never played a football game online in my life. I have always been an offline single player Dynasty guy so there really isn't any reason for me to buy this game new, is there? I mean, If I only play offline single player Dynasty I really don't need the online code.

In fact, if I am waiting a month until after it is released so it can be patched and hear what others have to say before deciding on buying it, used copies might be even cheaper at Gamestop by then.

Another thing, I am thinking that EA must really feel this will be the greatest NCAA football game they have ever released on any console. They have to be in order to be starting this new $10 policy. It would be pretty stupid if the game was as bad as the last two years, talk about loosing sales......

I hope EA realizes that that by implementing this new $10 policy that gamers will be expecting more out of EA's games than ever before. So, EA has a lot to live up to now.
But you'll need that code to use the EA Locker it seems.

Also does anyone know if you'll need the code to download any new gameplay patch?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #44
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
EA is doing this for all EA Sports titles because they have shareholders to report to. EA just announced that they lost over $600 million in the past fiscal year.

Whenever a company loses $ they must come up with an action plan to improve their financial situation. Apparently EA thinks this is a good way. Also, EA told shareholders they might consider charging for extended demos and betas as well.
I totally understand that. They could have taken a different route though. Remember how well Madden and NCAA sold on the ps2/xbox because the games were so much better than this gen? Why don't they just put out fantastic games, games so good that everybody wants to buy them? That seems like a logical approach to me if they want to increase revenue.

I am honestly not criticizing EA by saying this. I am just offering a different approach to increasing profits than the method they are trying.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #45
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

I still would like to know if buying a used copy would prevent me from anything else other than online play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

This really pisses me off because I was looking forward to NCAA this year but out of principle I refuse to buy any EA Sports title that includes this 'used' game tax. Like Fairdale_King, I have more than one TV/gamertag in my house and I will not pay more or be restricted to what TV/GT I can play what game on.

Ironic that EA is adding this tax to Sports titles considering they pump out sequels so often they are already the quickest depreciating games you can buy.

New idea - if you get a 7 day 'trial' for each gamertag then what I can do is wait for Madden to release. There should be lots of used NCAA copies out there then and hopefully a bit cheaper to make up for the 'used' tax (it will be the seller who takes the brunt of the hit on this new tax).

So I buy NCAA cheap, use my 7 day trial for each of my gamertags to get a good roster update. Then kick online and EAs BS pass to the curb and just play franchise. HA - I like this plan even better than not buying the game. This way I get to play, I get the roster and EA gets ZERO from me still.

ONline play is typically EA games weakest link so I am surprised they even considered charging a premium for it.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #47
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
I still would like to know if buying a used copy would prevent me from anything else other than online play.
TeamBuilder, I believe.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #48
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

What's really funny is that I posted my concerns in the comments section of the blog that announced the Online Pass.... and they were all deleted. There was nothing attacking EA Sports or anything negative. I had four separate posts clarifying the false claims by some EA mods on the forums that this only effects USED games.

I was hoping that Will Kinsler a.k.a. Raczilla would comment. Instead they just deleted my 4 posts. It's always easier to delete the facts. EA does not want anyone to educate the masses what is really happening. The only reason why it was 4 separate posts is because you are limited to 500 characters per post.

Whenever I posted on the forums on the EA Sports site I was attacked by the mods as being basically a cheapskate for not paying "ten measly bucks" per console fee. Being that I have $1,200 worth of consoles and multiple HDTV's I should not be mad about a small fee from EA.

I'm sorry if I have four xbox 360 consoles in the house. Two consoles were purchased for my kid's by their grandparents for Christmas. My wife actually bought my red elite console for my birthday last summer. The kids actually pay for their XBox Live memberships every year out of their own pocket from their birthday money or leftover Christmas money.

But this shouldn't be about how many consoles I own... this is about EA Sports trying to nickle and dime the gamers. If I didn't have two kids who loved playing EA Sports games I would not really care because this would NOT effect me. But i do. I have two kids that are at the stage of their life that they can NOT stand to be in the same room with each other... that is why is was great when they finally received their own Xbox consoles for XMas. But now you're telling me that I have to tell my daughter that she has to go to my son's room to play Madden '11 on his console. Or that I have to go to my daughter's room to play FIFA '11 on her 20" TV because that is the console that has the Online Pass for Fifa '11. I can just see more fighting in the house in the near future over who is playing games and where.

It's just not practical... and I just won't do it. Like someone else said on here I may become more inclined to not purchase FIFA '11, Tiger Woods '11 and Madden '11 new.. and just wait and save money buying them used so that I do NOT have to pay EA Sports full price anymore. Then give them their "measly" ten bucks for their Season Pass and call it a day. I'm definitely not going to purchase anymore multiple games so that the kids have their own copy of NCAA or Madden. They will not get anymore money out of me than I have to fork over.

As a matter of fact the only game that is a must buy in my house is NCAA Football every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »