Home

Crowd Meter, Loudness, & Whiteouts/Blackouts etc.

This is a discussion on Crowd Meter, Loudness, & Whiteouts/Blackouts etc. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Crowd Meter, Loudness, & Whiteouts/Blackouts etc.

Thanks man! this is an area of the game that really bothers me. Especially because it was done so well in NCAA on PS2 with the meter and all...
Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #34
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I totally agree. The worst part is when you're winning by 60 (Virginia Tech-Marshall) and half the crowd is gone but the volume doesn't change!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
That's certainly true, the crowd needs to be contextual. With that being said the issue with the sound isn't loudness but rather depth. They need more layers of sound in bigger stadiums to give the mind the impression of a large stadium of many people being loud.

In other words, if you took me and 3 other folks and we yelled and screamed and then you made that extremely loud in the game it'd sound completely ridiculous. And that's pretty much the way EA's game is right now, although on a slightly less ridiculous sound.

Having the volume amplified is not the issue, it needs to be layered properly and have the proper hysteria depending upon the situation....or "contextual". The 4th TD for OSU beating up on Marshall when it's 28-3 would yield cheers and applause but comparative to OSU picking off Michigan in the 4th quarter to win the game with 7 seconds to go....well there's a huge difference in not only loudness and layering but also in general hysteria. By "hysteria" I mean the tone of the crowd is much different.
Nailed it! Someone please get this to EA.

With that said, one of the Madden features is "audio" so I am assuming that this was a big focus this year. I think I remember Ian even saying that audio was on the top of his list for 11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
That's certainly true, the crowd needs to be contextual. With that being said the issue with the sound isn't loudness but rather depth. They need more layers of sound in bigger stadiums to give the mind the impression of a large stadium of many people being loud.

In other words, if you took me and 3 other folks and we yelled and screamed and then you made that extremely loud in the game it'd sound completely ridiculous. And that's pretty much the way EA's game is right now, although on a slightly less ridiculous sound.

Having the volume amplified is not the issue, it needs to be layered properly and have the proper hysteria depending upon the situation....or "contextual". The 4th TD for OSU beating up on Marshall when it's 28-3 would yield cheers and applause but comparative to OSU picking off Michigan in the 4th quarter to win the game with 7 seconds to go....well there's a huge difference in not only loudness and layering but also in general hysteria. By "hysteria" I mean the tone of the crowd is much different.
Preeaaacchhh ODoog! You nailed everything I feel with that post!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #37
Rookie

texasfan_95's Arena

OVR: 7

You have a good point about crowds not being loud at all times. As a Texas and Colts fan I can say from experience that the stadium is as close to dead silent as you can get when those teams are going to work on offense. On the other hand they are as loud as any other stadium on defense.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
Rookie

ctindal21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Well said. Yeah, that's always been a concern of mine when people talk about how "the crowd needs to be louder," etc. There are plenty of times when home crowds are not loud at all, even when the score is close or tied. It's about having an intelligent crowd that gets loud at the right times. Just having a crowd that's ridiculously loud and intense the whole game isn't solving anything. (Not that anyone suggested otherwise.)

EDIT: lol, I'm just now realizing I just rehashed your post almost word-for-word. Guess I have nothing to add.

yea i know, i meant situational loudness when i made this thread but i forgot to put in situational so yea i agree...
NBA- New York Knicks

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
Rookie

ctindal21's Arena

OVR: 12

with all of these nice pics of improvements of gameplay, equipment, and presentation...i sure hope some crowd features are changed for the better in terms of situational loudness and big game awareness!!!
NBA- New York Knicks

Old 05-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #40
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9

Another problem is that there is no difference in terms of crowd excitement/loudness/participation between a tuneup game against a small school vs a game against a big rival/championship/etc. The crowd is just way too lackluster and inconsistent

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »