Home

What Designers Don't Understand about the User-Defined Camera

This is a discussion on What Designers Don't Understand about the User-Defined Camera within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: What Designers Don't Understand about the User-Defined Camera

eh, actually, I really like the camera view we have. makes it easier to manage the game. it'd be hard to run laterally with a side view, etc. In fact, sometimes I get madd because RTG mode doesn't have the same camera, and I can't see what I need to as well
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 27

User-defined camera's were basically a staple in football games last generation. Now all of a sudden, Tiburon can't do them. Interestingly enough, there was a game made by their old competitor this generation that had user-defined camera's in their first game, and that was after not developing football for 3 years...

I don't buy that they can't do them, I just don't think they make them a priority. The teams that make Tiburon's football games this generation aren't as detail-oriented as the guys last generation and we can base that on the final products we've gotten. Most of the stuff we're just getting now were done on the first try or second try in NCAA games last generation. And, if it is that they really can't do them then they need to hire someone who can. To put this into perspective, Tiburon's football games have camera problems all over the place. As far as presentation goes, it's the one major reason it's no good, and slapping shiny ESPN logos over horrible camera work doesn't change that at all. But it all seems to just fall on deaf ears.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
User-defined camera's were basically a staple in football games last generation. Now all of a sudden, Tiburon can't do them. Interestingly enough, there was a game made by their old competitor this generation that had user-defined camera's in their first game, and that was after not developing football for 3 years...
I totally agree about wanting more camera options and a user-defined camera would be great. But people need to stop stating what APF could do since the graphics were basically last gen player models on a next gen system. EA is pushing the envelope with their player models and it struggles with frame rate as a result. It's easier to add options when you have inferior graphics that don't tax the system.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Rookie

UF Fan's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I totally agree about wanting more camera options and a user-defined camera would be great. But people need to stop stating what APF could do since the graphics were basically last gen player models on a next gen system. EA is pushing the envelope with their player models and it struggles with frame rate as a result. It's easier to add options when you have inferior graphics that don't tax the system.
But still there's no excusing EA for having one camera angle.

Broadcast camera fans unite!- Most effective OS thread ever!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Nope, can't buy that one either for two very good reasons. Firstly, I don't know where this rumor started about the last-gen model thing with APF, but they actually rebuilt those from the ground up. They initially wanted to just build off the old models, but they said there was some kind of format conflict so they had to start from scratch. Also, the models were actually incredibly detailed down to the stitch. The only cutback was to overall resolution so that the AI could process properly (with sidelines, too) and the game could still run at 60 frames (ran at 30 on PS3) smoothly. You mostly saw the hit from a distance and that was by design, but close up you could see how great the detail was. But even at a distance there was still more detail visible than NCAA 08 (because APF was more detailed).

Secondly, NCAA 08 had incredibly low detail, with baked-in model definitions (I actually discussed this with one of the NCAA devs here on the forum last year), and it was even worse close up. NCAA 08's was lower than APF's in fact, and fewer poly's per model, there was also no refs and no sideline AI to worry about... and we still didn't get user-defined camera's.

What we have to do is stop helping them make excuses.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 05-31-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF Fan
I agree. I want more angles. I didn't like the NCAA 10 one. Camera angles are huge to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Nope, can't buy that one either for two very good reasons. Firstly, I don't know where this rumor started about the last-gen model thing with APF, but they actually rebuilt those from the ground up. They initially wanted to just build off the old models, but they said there was some kind of format conflict so they had to start from scratch. Also, the models were actually incredibly detailed down to the stitch.
The graphics on the PS3 version of APF were terrible. Looked virtually identical to 2K5 on the PS2. I think EA's football games have looked a lot better than APF so we'll just have to agree to disagree in this area.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF Fan
So is it actually confirmed that there will only be one camera angle this year?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Rookie

Husker88Chief's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBruce
eh, actually, I really like the camera view we have. makes it easier to manage the game. it'd be hard to run laterally with a side view, etc. In fact, sometimes I get madd because RTG mode doesn't have the same camera, and I can't see what I need to as well
I agree. It'd be nice to see some other options, but to be honest I'd probably just stick with the default. That is, unless they put in my aforementioned defensive camera.

The LOS camera would definitely be cool, but it would be completely unplayable looking at a side view, or even a deep field-level view.

Nebraska Football: 12-2 (Big Ten Runner-Up & Capitol One Bowl Champions)

Kansas City Chiefs: 10-6 (1st in AFC West)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »