Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: EA Locker Rumor

mgovick - you said "The truth is that the above the table compensation players receive is not nearly comparable to the revenue that they generate for a school. Their status as student-athletes prohibits them from truly earning any sort of supplemental income. "

so what? is what you do at your job directly comparable to the revenue that what you do generates for your business? how much money last year did mcdonalds make and how much do they pay their employees? same for walmart. or amazon.

And as I said in my other argument, you can't equate what a football player makes vs. the revenue because to do that you'd have to do that for all sports and the other sports aren't the moneymakers, thus you'd have to do away with those sports.

Is that fair? Is that what you or anyone in their right mind would want for college sports? To pay football players and shut down all of the other non-income bearing sports in the college world? Then you have to figure out who in college football makes what, because obviously a Tim Tebow is far more important and more revenue generating than a 3rd string tackle.

Guess what you've done then? You've created the NFL. Only in college. And destroyed entire collegiate sporting system as we know it.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #58
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Not being able to get names easily into the game would be a game killer. I am not buying day one so this is something I will keep an ear out for. No more do I buy sports games on the day / week they come out. There are just too many that are broken piles.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
I assume it is the same reason why the NCAA will not allow jersey's to be sold with player's names on the back. I would think this is the NCAA controlling brand image more than legal precedent.
Well yeah, and that is what pisses people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah, I believe if the NCAA wanted to they could have student athletes sign waivers and then the universities would legally have free access to use their names, likeness, etc. However, I don't think the NCAA wants to go that route as that would then further the cause (or outrage, whatever you want to call it) of people who believe athletes should be directly further compensated beyond tuition and room and board.

So in other words, even though they probably legally could go that route they know that they would probably take even more heat for profiting from student-athletes than they do now..
I dunno though, if the players signed a voluntary waiver it's their problem. Obviously making it mandatory would be an issue, but as long as it wasn't (make anyone who doesn't sign generic in the game) then they'd have no case at all.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yeah but perception and reality are two different things. The reality is it may be the student's issue once they sign that waiver but we all know the perception would be that the NCAA was just abusing the poor student-athlete like always.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #61
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I've honestly never really understood why names cannot be used in the game from the get-go. Players and Athletes (and people in other programs, particularly performing arts) sign waivers saying the school can use their likeness in advertising, etc. I've never really understood why that doesn't apply to the NCAA series. I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #62
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
mgovick - so you're cool with the synchronized swimming team losing their scholarships? You're cool with most of the baseball team players losing theirs as well? If we're going to compensate based on revenue they provide then probably 90% of sports in college would be shut down. That argument makes absolutely zero sense.

And the backups who never play do contribute to the team but my point was that they don't hit the field and generate revenue. No one tunes in on Saturdays to see see a backup QB holding a clip board and calling in plays. Sure it's important to the team but it's irrelevant in terms of revenue dollars.

I think you need to go back and re-think your arguments..
odogg- youre missing the point. its pretty simple.

The compensation beyond scholarships should come back to the players in some form, for athletes on a profit yielding team. I said nothing about swimmers losing scholarships. My point was that its not feasible for a swimmer to get any compensation for likeness or anything else because quite frankly put, collegiate swimming is not a business.

College football and basketball are business and professional for all intents and purposes barring players getting paid. From an operational standpoint they are both businesses.

and in regards to your rebuttal about backups. Your only as strong as your weakest link. Thats why I said that there an indirect impact.
Simply put. more depth=more competition= better on field product= more $$$
Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #63
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

Quote:
mgovick - you said "The truth is that the above the table compensation players receive is not nearly comparable to the revenue that they generate for a school. Their status as student-athletes prohibits them from truly earning any sort of supplemental income. "

so what? is what you do at your job directly comparable to the revenue that what you do generates for your business? how much money last year did mcdonalds make and how much do they pay their employees? same for walmart. or amazon.

And as I said in my other argument, you can't equate what a football player makes vs. the revenue because to do that you'd have to do that for all sports and the other sports aren't the moneymakers, thus you'd have to do away with those sports.

Is that fair? Is that what you or anyone in their right mind would want for college sports? To pay football players and shut down all of the other non-income bearing sports in the college world? Then you have to figure out who in college football makes what, because obviously a Tim Tebow is far more important and more revenue generating than a 3rd string tackle.

Guess what you've done then? You've created the NFL. Only in college. And destroyed entire collegiate sporting system as we know it.
You are creating a scenario that supports your claim. At most bcs schools there is more than enough money to go around after the athletic dept. takes their share. There is a surplus after the revenue is allocated to all of the programs in the athletic department. Lets say Hypothetically EA had to pay players some sort of royalty for using their likeness, that would go to the players.

Its pretty apparent that you have never played a D-1 sport. I think your argument would be alot different if you had.
My point is pretty simple. The ncaa is a joke. I love college sports, but not the ncaa. Because of amateurism the ncaa can do what the nfl cant.

Actually, odogg if i made a shirt with your face on it and sold a million of them and you didnt get a cent from them, what would your reaction be?

and for everyone else, its cool to be in the game alot of kids i know get off on it. Im not against that, i just think that the players should get a lil sumtin sumtin.

Sales would drop atleast 30% if the players were random.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #64
Rookie

jolson88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgovick
Actually, odogg if i made a shirt with your face on it and sold a million of them and you didnt get a cent from them, what would your reaction be?
If you were paying for my entire college education? I wouldn't care. With a good college education, the value isn't just the face-value from the immediate benefits. You also have to take into account of what the benefits are over the course of your lifetime by having that education (like being a college graduating helping make you 1mil+ more than you would otherwise over the course of your working career).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »