Home

Bring Back Player Personalities And School Supensions

This is a discussion on Bring Back Player Personalities And School Supensions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Bring Back Player Personalities And School Supensions

The perfect dynasty would have suspensions, a coaching carousel, and having to worry about probations and loss of scholarships. Along with other obvious things.

Sadly, this is probably not coming back.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 2

With NCAA '11 being my first game of the series (heck, my first Xbox game) I should qualify my upcoming statements with the fact that I don't know how anything like the suspensions idea was implemented in the past — when, how often, the "coach's" (user) role.
I know a part of the arguement to include suspensions is the 'real life' factor.
Yes, it happens IRL. But what also happens is that the coaching staff, an Athletics administrator, an Athletics counselor, a Dean of student life, a player's parent(s), etc., etc., etc., all have a role in the prevention of actions that warrant a suspension. I know this, having been a collegiate coach at both the D-I and D-III levels.
I just don't feel that adding the negative side of the suspension situation can be implemented unless the prevention side can also be put into the game.
As well, I have had troubled athletes, and pulled scholarships after suspensions and attempted 'prevention' plans and let me tell you, knowing you're probably ending a college career--if not their existence at the college--is not something you sleep easy on. It's a horrible aspect of IRL-coaching and I don't feel it has a place in this game.
Nor do I see the merit of adding this. I want to recruit my players, game plan, and play the game. That sounds like a sim-football game, to me. If we want to have an active role in the personalities of the players within the game, well, the company that makes those "The Sims" games should offer a football game—"The Sims, college sports edition"—for those wanting a non-football strategy offering.

Last edited by GGGswim; 04-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #67
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
With NCAA '11 being my first game of the series (heck, my first Xbox game) I should qualify my upcoming statements with the fact that I don't know how anything like the suspensions idea was implemented in the past — when, how often, the "coach's" (user) role.
I know a part of the arguement to include suspensions is the 'real life' factor.
Yes, it happens IRL. But what also happens is that the coaching staff, an Athletics administrator, an Athletics counselor, a Dean of student life, a player's parent(s), etc., etc., etc., all have a role in the prevention of actions that warrant a suspension. I know this, having been a collegiate coach at both the D-I and D-III levels.
I just don't feel that adding the negative side of the suspension situation can be implemented unless the prevention side can also be put into the game.
As well, I have had troubled athletes, and pulled scholarships after suspensions and attempted 'prevention' plans and let me tell you, knowing you're probably ending a college career--if not their existence at the college--is not something you sleep easy on. It's a horrible aspect of IRL-coaching and I don't feel it has a place in this game.
Nor do I see the merit of adding this. I want to recruit my players, game plan, and play the game. That sounds like a sim-football game, to me. If we want to have an active role in the personalities of the players within the game, well, the company that makes those "The Sims" games should offer a football game—"The Sims, college sports edition"—for those wanting a non-football strategy offering.
Very good points.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #68
MVP

OVR: 13

I want them to bring back the fight cutscenes w/ unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Those were awesome.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #69
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
Good point. Although, that company you are looking for is Electronic Arts. Not sure who the developer is but I know EA publishes it.

Anyway my argument for this is that it would add a level of strategy into recruitng.

The thing is, is this is a touchy issue, where if you go too far one way it breaks the game and too far the other and its hardly noticable.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #70
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I do not want this in the game. The strategy of recruiting we need added to the game is coachability (i.e. potential and willingness to put in hard work).

Let's keep everything "on the field". It's a video game

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I do not want this in the game. The strategy of recruiting we need added to the game is coachability (i.e. potential and willingness to put in hard work).

Let's keep everything "on the field". It's a video game
But I think it would add to the game.

Do you take that back who has all the skills, but his performance in the class room is a D+ and and his behavior is a C-, or do you play it safe and get the back who is still good and has the work ethic rating of A that gives him the chance to actually be as good if not better than the other back, but he also has B in both class room performance and behavior?

If recruits had class performance, behavior, work ethic, coachability plus all the ratings we have now, then recruiting would never get old(hyperbole ). Imagine this coupled with a coaching carousel. Say Florida St. just hired a HC who brings in his own staff and they are known for grabbing "dirty" players. So in year one, FS Who is good on the field, but in the offseason you see a headline stating they are hit with probation because of all the off field issues, so the next few years they have less scholarships to offer and start to slowly fall down in performance, then eventually get that cleaner coach who brings the program back up after a longer period of time, but never faces any problems with players and the NCAA.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #72
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

If the NCAA were to allow it, EA should just have an option to turn the feature off like fatigue or injuries.

In my opinion if they did put the feature in I would prefer the simple explanation of "violated team rules" leaving out any specifics. Then just give several options for what the suspension should be.

I really like the earlier posted idea that let you set user named rosters players to 99 for discipline while allowing recruited players ratings to vary as well that way nobody get offended and everyone can get snow cones.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »