Home

Agility and Acceleration to Dominate NCAA 11?

This is a discussion on Agility and Acceleration to Dominate NCAA 11? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Agility and Acceleration to Dominate NCAA 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Well, he brought up a valid concern, I posted my opinion on the matter, and others have posted theirs, as well. What are we really supposed to do on a forum. It'd be pretty boring if everyone just "shut up" and never posted any opinions. If you want nothing but information on the game and no discussion, go to the EA Web site. If you're coming to a forum, you'd better expect some discussion.

No one said "locomotion is going to ruin the game," others just voiced concern over it's implementation and how that might affect the game if not done properly. No one's really going to know until we get our hands on it.
I'm pretty sure he was joking. Hence, the "lol", and "you're making me want the game more!"

As for acceleration, I hope it's emphasized as much as you say. In real football, for a RB that's the most important attribute, not speed. And agility is just as, if not more, important than speed. For a RB, top end speed isn't all that important (ask Reggie Bush). Without good speed, you'll still have a hard time breaking off long runs, as the defense will catch you, and it'll still be very important for certain positions. This is one of the things that excited me the most.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Banned

1GATORFAN4EVA's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Well, he brought up a valid concern, I posted my opinion on the matter, and others have posted theirs, as well. What are we really supposed to do on a forum. It'd be pretty boring if everyone just "shut up" and never posted any opinions. If you want nothing but information on the game and no discussion, go to the EA Web site. If you're coming to a forum, you'd better expect some discussion.

No one said "locomotion is going to ruin the game," others just voiced concern over it's implementation and how that might affect the game if not done properly. No one's really going to know until we get our hands on it.
I was joking man lol
Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Rookie

Morning Thunder's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
With NCAA 11 only a 5 weeks away, we've been finding out a lot about the game recently. A lot of it has been positive and I'm really excited about the game. The only thing that worries me is the locomotion system. Now before you get your torch and pitchforks, let me explain. The locomotion system is a great addition, especially on those long runs, it creates a smooth and seamless look. The momentum system is also a really cool feature. What worries me is that acceleration and agility are going to be over-emphasized with this system.

In the past, speed was also the attribute that you wanted, because as soon as you got around a corner, you were gone, no acceleration needed for the most part. In NCAA 11, it's almost the other way around. If you have high acceleration with somewhere around 80 speed you'll get to the corner faster then before and then break away, with no acceleration, you wouldn't be able to make it. On defense though, a linebacker will get into the backfield with ease. He only needs to have high enough acceleration to get past the tight end or offensive tackle around the corner, and have a halfback or quarterback waiting to get obliterated. The problem with that is, on shorter runs speed is almost not needed. Now on longer runs, speed is needed, but with agility you almost don't need to worry about it.

Agility is a pretty overlooked attribute, since a flick of the right analog stick could have you constantly breaking ankles, no questions asked. This year though, it all changes.. Agility makes a big difference, but is it too big of a difference? Let's say, you break a long run but there is a safety closing in on you, normally you would run straight forward and hope he took a bad angle towards the ball and you can outrun him. Now, if that safety has 75 agility and you have 90, you can just wait until he gets to you, and cut back into the field (assuming your running down the sidelines) and you'll turn on a dime leaving that safety with absolutely no chance at tackling you. It leaves the defense with a serious advantage, because in the running game, halfback's are going to be just running all over the first level of the defense (D-line) and when they reach the second level, they can just mix there acceleration and agility to just blow past everyone.

I know that not every player is going to have high acceleration and agility, but with how football is now-a-days, the majority of wide receivers and halfbacks have the acceleration and agility to just take things over the top. For the players that don't, your always going to have linebackers, and defensive backs that do. It some ways it counters itself, but with the way EA has been handling Madden and NCAA, (it is a problem in both of the games) I don't think that we can trust them to make sure the system is overpowered.

If you want to read more on the locomotion system, and everything it brings to the table, mostly good but with some bad, check out this article over at ESPN.

Thanks to anyone that reads through that whole thing
Welcome to football man
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Thunder
Welcome to football man
You and other people don't understand that in EA's hands, this system could go horribly wrong. Acceleration and Agility can easily be as overpowered as speed was in NCAA 10. Wait until the demo, better yet the game comes out. I have a feeling that this will drastically effect recruiting for wide receivers, running backs, defensive backs, and line backers just like NCAA 10 and we all have just about mutual feelings on that game being a let down..
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GATORFAN4EVA
I was joking man lol
Well now I just feel stupid. I guess I somehow read right over the "lol." That kind of changes the whole context of the statement. I was thinking to myself that someone couldn't honestly be mad about people discussing a possible problem on an internet forum. Unfortunately, I've seen dumber things on the internet before. My bad, Gatorfan.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
You and other people don't understand that in EA's hands, this system could go horribly wrong. Acceleration and Agility can easily be as overpowered as speed was in NCAA 10. Wait until the demo, better yet the game comes out. I have a feeling that this will drastically effect recruiting for wide receivers, running backs, defensive backs, and line backers just like NCAA 10 and we all have just about mutual feelings on that game being a let down..
You are a glass half empty kind of guy, aren't you? Speed will still matter. That seems pretty clear. And strength will matter (it will impact QB's being able to get the ball off, and the back going down with momentum), Release will still matter for receivers (otherwise they will just get jammed at the line all the time), break tackle will obviously still matter. These ratings matter before as well, it was more of an issue that agility and acceleration didn't mean a thing. Now they do. And speed will still matter. Some ratings will still likely be pointless (I doubt route running makes a difference, for example), but at the very least we will have two more ratings that matter, which will cause you to have to look at more ratings in recruiting and not just sort by 40 time and recruit that way.

Off topic a bit, but have they said whether or not the expanded Qb ratings from Madden 10 will be in the game?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
Pro

BraveHeart's Arena

OVR: 3

I understand what the OP is saying. He just doesn't believe in EA, and why should he? What have they done lately to make us believe in them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Acceleration and agility are real life football. Speed can kill, but you have to get to that speed, and most guys won't on a given play. Speed has been king for what, 2 decades now? I think it's time for a change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »