Home

NCAA 11: Beyond the 'GLAMOR'

This is a discussion on NCAA 11: Beyond the 'GLAMOR' within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Rookie

IGGYBOY34's Arena

OVR: 1
NCAA 11: Beyond the 'GLAMOR'

With the many disappointments of NCAA 10, I (as well as many others) have fervently awaited a taste of NCAA 11! After downloading the demo that was released earlier this week, I quickly noticed several things. Immediately I went online and checked to see what the gaming community had to say. I'd say about 90% of gamers seem completely enamored with the game.
In the first 72 hours of the demo being released, gamers began anointing the game as 'G.O.A.T.' I too noticed some improvement, but needless to say, I was not as impressed as many others.
It seems that every year a new NCAA Football game demo is released, many gamers create a blog or thread praising the game and saying nothing but good things, and even sometimes get angry at the criticism of others! However, after the game has been on shelves for about 3 months, the same gamers are online complaining about how unrealistic and inadequate the game is.
So, how do I feel about the demo? I feel that EA Sports has greatly improved what I like to call the 'glamor' aspects of the game while minimally making improvements to the actual gameplay.
By 'GLAMOR', I am referring to the changes in presentation, lighting, and replays; Nike Pro Combat Uniforms; New multi-colored cleats and other accesories (gloves, towels, ankle and knee braces, etc); team entrances; on-field referrees; and the much hyped 'Locomotion' and 'Pro Tak' tackling.
I admit, all of this looks GREAT and I like it a lot! However, I'd give it all up in exchange for better GAMEPLAY. So my question is, how long will it take before the 'glamor' wears off and gamers begin to notice the flaws and shortcomings of this soon-to-be $60 game? How long before those praising it so much begin to see the good, the bad, and the ugly? Will EA Sports be able to work out some of the kinks before the July 13th release, or is this a finished product?

Beyond the 'Glamor', I have noticed:
  • Gameplay seems totally geared towards the offense (besides 'Pro Tak', it doesn't seem that much if any emphasis was placed on improving defensive gameplay)
  • Too many dropped passes (especially wide open receivers and on big plays)
  • DL play is still awful (can't generate pressure from front 4, but CPU creates tons every play; D-Linemen get pancaked and/or fall down just about every play when attempting to swim past blockers)
  • Too many missed tackles (defense looks like chaos on this game; tacklers are falling and diving in every direction but at the ball carrier)
  • Players appear to be skating on ice, sliding all over the place; In my opinion, the running animation doesn't look much more realistic than NCAA 10
  • CPU too souped up on Heisman (they cause lots of pressure on D, but they can sit in the pocket alllllll day on offense; Typical magical CPU A.I. always knows your silent audibles and shift the right way every time you audible; always knows to pass if you run commit before snap or run if you pass commit, etc.)
  • User catch still sucks (WRs are still disabled from facing up and leaping for a catch...like Julio Jones, AJ Green, Malcolm Williams, Jeff Fuller, and all other 6'3" and up college WRs do every week)
  • I’ve played this demo about 30 games or so now and I have yet to see ONE SINGLE pass interference call! Yet, I’ve seen plenty WRs getting bumped and pushed while the ball is in the air.
  • Offense seems to move at a faster pace than defense
  • ‘Locomotion’ feels 'off' a tad bit (watch as you juke from left to right how all of the cpu defenders also juke with you in unison)
  • Too many fumbles!!! (the only way this can be avoided is by choosing 'Conservative' on the 'Big Run' option in the 'Gameplan' screen)

There are other issues I've noticed as well, but I'll stop there. After while, I began to feel that playing NCAA 10 was an insult to football inteligence and I swore I'd not buy NCAA 11. However, with the release of the demo, I was VERY 'glamored' the first day! Now that I've played through the week, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I cannot bear another year of 'cheeser-friendly' bad gameplay! What do you all think?
(I respect all opinions)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA 11: Beyond the 'GLAMOR'

My thoughts are, you should have posted this in the impressions thread.

But thanks for sharing (not sarcasm).
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Rookie

IGGYBOY34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
My thoughts are, you should have posted this in the impressions thread.

But thanks for sharing. (No sarcasm.)
I'm new to this...
Where is the 'Impressions' thread, and what's the difference bro?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Banned

It's stuck to the top of the forum, here: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-here.html

And the difference is, mods will likely lock this thread because it's not explicitly its own topic.

Welcome to OS, mate.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Rookie

IGGYBOY34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
It's stuck to the top of the forum, here: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-here.html

And the difference is, mods will likely lock this thread because it's not explicitly its own topic.

Welcome to OS, mate.
Ahhhh....I see
Thanks man...I did not know that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Banned

Not a problem. Based on your impressions, you'll likely fit right in here. Enjoy yourself.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

Sliders can fix most of the things you said. Pass interference, fumbles, etc. And as for human pass rush - you obviously aren't very good in that area. Because I average about 5 a game total. The skating this is said to be fixed in the retail version. Not sure what you mean about locomotion feels off and bad user catching.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Isn't it just really frustrating to write such a detailed post and get like 5 replies but someone can complain about dreads or something and have like 12 pages of replies over something dumb.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »