Home

The almost-inherent accuracy of 40 times.

This is a discussion on The almost-inherent accuracy of 40 times. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
The almost-inherent accuracy of 40 times.

I've noticed so many people across this forum and NCAAstrategies complaining about ratings, making comments like
"Our OLB runs a 4.34...how was he rated a 76 speed???"
(This one is made up.)

But do any of you seriously believe the 40 times you hear?
And what do they mean?

HANDS

The most common way of timing 40s is simple - hand start the clock when you see the player's first movement, hand stop it when you think he's crossed the finish line.
I say "you think he's crossed the line" because there's always a delay there.

TRACK AND FIELD

In track and field, the conversion for hand-timed to Fully Automatic Timed (FAT) is .24-.26. It simply takes that long for people to react to someone's torso crossing the finish line and then press a button.
A 10.0 hand-timed 100 meter dash is worth about 10.25 seconds. That's pretty substantial.

WHAT IS A HAND-TIMED 40 WORTH?

So if we assume that 40 yard dashes have the same delay, then a 4.30 40 yard dash is a 4.55 40 yard dash.
That's without counting the delay at the START of the dash, when the timer is reacting to the player's first movement (presumably from a distance of about 40 yards).
So let's generously say that the delay there is about .20. That 4.55 is about 4.75 in reality now.

VARIANCE

But if everyone is on a level playing field with this inaccuracy, it's all good, right? We don't need to talk about what a 40 time REALLY is because its usefulness is in comparing athletes, right?

Well, that'd be compelling if we really believed that everyone was inaccurate to the same degree.
The .24-.26 track and field delay I was talking about was for experienced professional timers, people whose job it was to be accurate.

In football, we're talking about coaches, S&C gurus, "speed camp" gurus, etc. These are all different sets of people and their ability to time consistently and accurately often differ dramatically.

I don't mind telling you I can run fast.
However, I remember running a 40 that 2 coaches timed at one pre-season practice. The difference between the two times? .30.

Add the simple difference in human error into the mix with people who have good reason to inflate 40 times - if I'm a H.S. coach trying to get my free safety a scholarship, I'm probably going to help him out - consciously or subconsciously - when he's running his 40.
If I'm Tom Shaw, I've got a really good reason to round down times instead of rounding them up.
If I'm the Florida S&C staff, I've got motivation to attribute otherworldly speed to every player on my roster.
etc.

DIFFERENT TIMING PROTOCOLS

Further complications.
Most timing is fully hand-timed.
But what about when people say "Our defensive end was electronically timed at 4.42!" ?

Well, what kind of electronic timing?

Some people have the clock start electronically and then the clock is stopped by hand. Others start with hand timing and end electronically. (both can be done with lasers, as people love to point out)

These are going to give us different results.

I'm not aware of anyone who times using track and field-like fully automatic timing. The NFL-combine doesn't.

WHY DOESNT EVERYONE JUST TIME THEIR PLAYERS USING FULLY AUTOMATIC TIMING?

Because no one wants to hear that their favorite running back ran a 4.67 40.
The NFL doesn't want its fastest combine 40 time to be a 4.55.
Fans have become accustomed to ridiculous 40 times. They spread by word of mouth and then need to be backed up on the track or field. It's almost like reverse causation.

BOLT

Usain Bolt ran a 4.3x 40 yard dash when he set the world record in the 100 meters last year. At least, that's the best estimate by a few teams of experts, extrapolating the split from his 10 meter times, video analysis, etc.

4.3x from the time the gun went off to the time he passed 40 yards.
Pretty ho-hum for the fastest man in history, right?
I mean, I heard about a high school cornerback in Texas who ran a 4.1! And Chris Johnson runs a 4.2! Deion ran a 4.19 in sneakers!!!!!!!!11

How would we go about converting Usain's real, raw 40 time to a "football 40"?
Well, there's no reaction time for football players - so minus .15. Unless we're not using gates at the start, in which case we've also got to put .20 to human reaction there.
4.15 (3.85?)
The finish line is hand-stopped (or hand started) in "electronic" football 40s, so minus .25. Or maybe our hand-timer's really good, so we subtract .15 instead. Or maybe he's really bad, so we use .35 instead.
3.90 (3.70?) , 4.00 (3.80?) , 3.80 (3.60?)

My point is simply that we have no clue.
A "football 40" from that day in 2009 might bee anywhere from 4.15 to 3.60? There are so many variables that we can't say much beyond "it'd be really fast"

This post, in short:
  • Hand timing is really, really, unreliable
  • The way in which "football 40s" are timed varies considerably
  • This results in potentially vastly different numbers for the same exact run
  • You don't want accurate 40 times because then you couldn't claim that your school's MLB runs a 4.31.
  • Usain Bolt is slower than your school's MLB, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The almost-inherent accuracy of 40 times.

It doesn't matter If it says the guy ran that time then on the video game it should translate that. In track you never go with slit times because the guy gets a running start and they run meters.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Rookie

mangler's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
I don't mind telling you I can run fast.
thanks for the heads up, scooter.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler
thanks for the heads up, scooter.
The world needed to know.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

definitely shouldnt go by these 40 times that get thrown around. how many times do we see someone claimed as a 4.3 guy and not running anywhere near that at the combine or even his pro day.

it is silly to listen to some of these fans throw around times like theyre gospel. the only thing i can somewhat buy is fans using times to say who's the fastest within their team or track times to say who deserves elite speed. everyone has gripes within their own roster, my main goal for each team roster is for them to have accurate attributes within the team and then go from there. that doesnt mean since player A ran a fictional 4.3 that he should be a 98 speed, it means based on that and hopefully some more evidence like speed on the field that he should be the fastest player on the team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwhatzup
It doesn't matter If it says the guy ran that time then on the video game it should translate that. In track you never go with slit times because the guy gets a running start and they run meters.

If WHO says the guy ran that time?
The school? Remember when Florida claimed to have damn-near a roster full of sub-4.3s?

Additionally, the "split times" were talking about are from 0-40 meters, with the appropriate translation to yards being made by video analysis and basic math ("40 meters is 4x.xxxx yards, which means if his time to 40 meters was 4.xxx, his 40 yard time is probably 4.xx-4.xy")

You can look this up if you want.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
definitely shouldnt go by these 40 times that get thrown around. how many times do we see someone claimed as a 4.3 guy and not running anywhere near that at the combine or even his pro day.

it is silly to listen to some of these fans throw around times like theyre gospel. the only thing i can somewhat buy is fans using times to say who's the fastest within their team or track times to say who deserves elite speed. everyone has gripes within their own roster, my main goal for each team roster is for them to have accurate attributes within the team and then go from there. that doesnt mean since player A ran a fictional 4.3 that he should be a 98 speed, it means based on that and hopefully some more evidence like speed on the field that he should be the fastest player on the team.
That's a pretty reasonable approach!

Does anyone have any idea what Luther Ambrose's speed rating is? He's from UL-Monroe.
By way the NCAA 100 meter-dash went, he should be the 2nd fastest player in the game.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah but unless Ea clock people themselves they have to go off of what is listed. It's more like how they play on the field anyway. If your track fast that doesn't mean your football fast.

Last edited by imwhatzup; 06-18-2010 at 12:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »