Home

How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

This is a discussion on How about 120 ways to play defense next year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

...can't play D in this game (judging form the demo)...the best defense you can play is hoping the offense fails or screws up...another year for EA...another epic fail. Back to PS2...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

You can play defense in this game. You just have to actually call plays that make sense. Don't come out in a 4-3 when you see 4 WRs and 1 TE. I have no problems with the defensive side of the ball as long as its not on Heisman. On Heisman the CPU will get open even when you call the perfect counter.

And I doubt we'll see 120 ways to play defense. Most defenses are that different. You have the basic 4-3 and 3-4 with the rare 5-2 or 4-4. And then the difference really between those teams is how often they blitz and how often they run man vs zone.

― Plato
Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
You can play defense in this game. You just have to actually call plays that make sense. Don't come out in a 4-3 when you see 4 WRs and 1 TE. I have no problems with the defensive side of the ball as long as its not on Heisman. On Heisman the CPU will get open even when you call the perfect counter.

And I doubt we'll see 120 ways to play defense. Most defenses are that different. You have the basic 4-3 and 3-4 with the rare 5-2 or 4-4. And then the difference really between those teams is how often they blitz and how often they run man vs zone.
This. I'm tired of bad human pass rush, bad defense and bad human zone coverage. Its not the game - you just suck.

Last edited by Xaos; 06-19-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

hows about a create-a-play/custom playbooks instead?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos
This. I'm tired of bad human pass rush, bad defense and bad human zone coverage. Its not the game - you just suck.
This. I'm tired of :
No defense complains
No human pass-rush
Bad human zone
Exactly. If anything defense is more realistic. You have to be strategic and pick plays smartly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Granted I have only played one game on the demo (OSU v The U) as OSU but defense was not a problem. In fact, I had two interceptions, a fumble and a safety on All-American. I was a little worried about the opposite.

However, I wouldn't mind if they did focus a bit more on the defensive playbooks. While, it is true that most schools run the basic defenses (3-4, 4-3, etc.), there are some schools that have unique formations and even positions within those formations. For example, when Urlacher played at New Mexico he played "Lobo-back," a safety/linebacker hybrid. More schools are rolling this out lately, Nebraska is going to be using a "Peso" formation that features the same position.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Banned

Xaos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Exactly. If anything defense is more realistic. You have to be strategic and pick plays smartly.
People are just so accustomed being able to do anything and getting results. Now that is is FIXED, they say its broken
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
MVP

jclentzthadon's Arena

I will say this. I think it will be very difficult to stop a good human player who can run the ball well, and you know what, that is how it is in real life.

I think the game speed may be very slightly too quick. Slowing down the game speed one notch would help the defense out, for the user anyway. I play a safety and am really effective at doing so- user picks, reading the routes, etc but I know this I would have a pretty hard time stoping myself because I can run the ball well. You are going to have to commit (not the stupid a$$ pre snap ish) and play some man, blitz some more. If you sit back in a cover 3 or 2 or some soft shell zone you are going to rolled on and that is how it is in real life.

I dont think it broken or even too hard but I think slowing it down may help some users out. I love the demo, offense and defense. The game is WAY beyone what I thought it would be back in January.

Good discussion here though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »