Home

How do YOU play Defense?

This is a discussion on How do YOU play Defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: How do YOU play Defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Before the season starts (this is for both NCAA/Madden) I find the lowest rated player (not including the d line), pick that player and use him the entire season. No switching players during plays? Nah, I dont switch for the whole season.

If the player gets tired or switched out because of a different formation, I default to one of the D line for a play or two. If my player gets hurt, I find the next lowest rated player and use him.

I try to keep it close to reality, so I figure I cant morph out of my body to make a play. If the play goes to the opposite side, then I have to get there period. This lets the games play out much more realistic. You are just one component in the overall squad, not the whole team.
I'm actually shocked so many people switch off on defenders

I mean when you think about it everyone wants as much realism as possible so why are people switching off defenders vs the CPU?

Online i can understand because your playing another human player......

But offline the best way to get most realistic stats out of the CPU offense is try and stay with one player and let your other 10 defenders do their own job.....It defeats the purpose of recruiting IMO if your going to control the actions of all your players

It's either No switch or PLayer Lock for me all the way.....I don't want my scrub DB getting a boost up in his play because I switched off to make a play for him. If his coverage skills are weak then i have to think about leaving him in Man Coverage depending on the WR he's facing

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I play as an inside linebacker most of the time, mostly the strong-side ILB in the 3-4 defense. Mainly playing in space and cleaning up run plays.

Given that my Hoos will now run a 4-3, however, I'm gonna have to re-learn how to play that defense; probably will still play as the inside linebacker. Should be interesting.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 21

Usually a Linebacker or an impact player, and "BLITZ ALL NIGHT!"
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

I mean when you think about it everyone wants as much realism as possible so why are people switching off defenders vs the CPU?

But offline the best way to get most realistic stats out of the CPU offense is try and stay with one player and let your other 10 defenders do their own job.....It defeats the purpose of recruiting IMO if your going to control the actions of all your players

It's either No switch or PLayer Lock for me all the way.....I don't want my scrub DB getting a boost up in his play because I switched off to make a play for him. If his coverage skills are weak then i have to think about leaving him in Man Coverage depending on the WR he's facing
I think it is because people have been doing it for years before they might have got into realism more so switching defenders is just a natural thing you do with out thinking about. But could just be me.

I mean I would player lock but the camera is absolutely horrible in my opinion. I hate how it the camera flips to the defensive side of the ball and since I don't player lock I am always switching out of habit.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

Exactly. I think this is where the concern comes in with people voicing displeasure talking about winning against the CPU, no challenge being present in the game, this has to be fixed, yadda, yadda.

If you're controlling all of your players, you're giving a drastic ratings boost to said player. You're affecting everything except for speed pretty much. Of course you'll win most of your games.

Play as a PART of the team, then come back and relay information about blowing out the CPU lol. Bet ya wont, lol.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

4-2-5

Nobody else runs it?

----------------FS----------------
------SS----MLB--ROLB----SS-----
--CB----DE--DT--DT--DE-----CB--

I play the no switch rule also, here I'm generally playing zone coverage since I play a WAC OD and everyone likes to pass. I usually am the back up SS, the one on the left. Sometimes I'll play as the ROLB if I need to help up the middle. But, I'm always playing a blitz, spy, or hook zone/short yellow one. Every know and then I'll play man coverage with the SS on the HB, works especially well for breaking up those screens.

As for pre snap I like to jam/press the recievers since I run into lots of guys using short slants and things it can work effectively. In man coverage plays I generally blitz one of those SS's. The LB's seldom blitz at the same time, more often than not one either spies or drops into coverage if the other is blitzing. I also like to "show blitz" on expected running downs it always helped from them breaking it outside. On the "show blitz" downs I'll pinch my DL hoping to push the runner outside where the SS's and LB's can stop them.

My goal in the run game is to keep them going East/West stretching them out. Passing is more of a bend but, don't break philosophy.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #31
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

I always control a DT, because I figure the AI never produces with them. I always try and control the lowest rated player on the d-line, because it's tough to manually get pressure (for me at least) on the QB or to do much with those guys. Basically, I have more confidence in the AI to do a better job on defense than I have in myself, so I try and stay the most out of the way as possible at the beginning of the play. I always switch to the closest guy once the play develops though and make the play.

I also really like to press on almost every play, because if not, the weak QB pressure I get will result in completion after completion for 8-10 yards. I'd rather have the extra second to get pressure on the QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #32
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

LCB, never switch

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »