Home

How do YOU play Defense?

This is a discussion on How do YOU play Defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14
How do YOU play Defense?

I was just curious to see the different approaches everyone takes while playing Defense.

Who do control before the snap? Do you control them throughout the play, or do you let the CPU help you out? Do you switch defenders or stick with one guy?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm hoping to find a new approach for myself. Honestly, I feel that if I take too much control over a player, I'm just messing things up for my Defense.

Ideally, I'd like to find an approach that makes Defense as much fun to play as Offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: How do YOU play Defense?

I like to blitz the majority of the time while pressing the WRs. If my corners can press well enough, the pressure can get to the QB before he has a receiver he can hit. I don't blitz or press every play, but I do them more times than not.

I usually control a safety, a player blitzing, or a D Lineman.

― Plato
Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

Very well, how bout you?

I control the RE or any blitzing guys, usually press my corners. I blitz atleast 3 times a drive.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I mix up who I control given the situation. Sometimes I'll play as a safety, other times a LB, and still others a DL.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

To me, it depends on who I'm playing.

If I'm playing CPU, I use a base defense (Cover 3, Cover 2, Man-to-man) and just try to match up my # of CBs with their # of WRs. Every once in a while I try to bring pressure, but it doesn't work as much as I would like, so I usually stay away from it. Before the snap, I control the MLB and just read and react.

If I'm playing an actual person (aka online, or against a friend), I throw in a lot of crazy blitzes. I'm kind of like Alabama in that sense. I bring the Safeties, CBs, LBs, and sometimes I even drop DL back in coverage. My whole point in doing this is to try to fluster them as much as possible. Before the snap, I normally control the MLB, but every once in a while I'll get the SS... just to change things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
Do you switch defenders or stick with one guy?
I believe in the Buddy Ryan school of thought when it comes to defense... in other words; pressure the hell out of the QB. That said, I am finding once again that switching to a guy who is just about to level the QB will get you killed.

I play as the DT, but say a blitzing LB is inches from a sack, I switch to him and then... all of a sudden... I am the CB in coverage 40 yards downfield and my CB is diving into nothing and the WR is walking in for an easy TD.

So much for the "switch to the guy nearest the ball" thing...

Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

This may be old news to some, but I actually read one of the demo tips, and you can hold down the "switch player" button (o on PS3) and point to the guy you want to switch to. Saves time compared to hitting it over and over again to get to the guy you want. This is for pre-snap; don't know if it works during a play.

Could have been in last year's game - didn't own it.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

thanks for that tip HokieB!!!

I never knew that and I disable once the first one pops up and I have yet to run across that tip.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »