Home

Play Clock?

This is a discussion on Play Clock? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Play Clock?

How does it work? In the vids it seems like the CPU picks their play with 30 seconds left on the play clock every time, which is incredibly lame.

Is it going to be possible to get realistic scores and statistics on 15 min quarters? If not, that is a deal-breaker for me....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Banned

JJ_Bills9's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Play Clock?

Just play 7 or 8 minute quarters, and you'll get perfectly realistic results.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2053
How does it work? In the vids it seems like the CPU picks their play with 30 seconds left on the play clock every time, which is incredibly lame.

Is it going to be possible to get realistic scores and statistics on 15 min quarters? If not, that is a deal-breaker for me....
If that's how you feel then there's probably nothing that will change your mind, but I've always found total plays to be a much better indicator of football game length in video games. What I mean is, if you get the same amount of plays as a real-life full length game, it doesn't necessarily have to be full 15 minute quarters to be realistic.

For example in Madden, 8-9 minute unaccelerated quarters gets you to around 120 plays in a game, the typical NFL average (varies a bit from year to year, but it's a good reference point). I don't know what that point is in NCAA or what the average is for a college game, but it would probably be pretty close to that since it's the same length.

Also, to make TOP a bit fairer I play by a house rule - I snap at around the time the CPU does.

This is something a lot of people have been doing for many years with Madden (before accelerated clock) and NCAA - it just works so much better in football than similar approaches in other sports.

But, NCAA needs the Accel clock too - no question about that.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
If that's how you feel then there's probably nothing that will change your mind
Accelerated clock would

Seriously though, everyone has their pet peeve, and this is mine. It drives me crazy that when I play Madden I can put it on 15 min quarters and get perfectly realistic stats, scores, total plays, time of possession, everything. Why can't NCAA do the same? I guess I will be opting for Madden again this year, which is incredibly disappointing, but oh well.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
If that's how you feel then there's probably nothing that will change your mind, but I've always found total plays to be a much better indicator of football game length in video games. What I mean is, if you get the same amount of plays as a real-life full length game, it doesn't necessarily have to be full 15 minute quarters to be realistic.
For me it has to be 15 minute quarters to be realistic for time of possession.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I noticed the same thing on the demo. The tempo option under gameplan determines how much time runs off the clock before you get to the line. Hopefully, the CPU will adjust its tempo during the game instead of just snapping the ball with 25 on the play clock all the time.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I've always found total plays to be a much better indicator of football game length in video games.
Precisely.

You should be getting about 60-70 snaps a game on offense. That's all that counts. I got those numbers with 7-minute quarters (and a few well-placed timeouts) in NCAA 10, but if you don't know your way around the playbook, 8-minute quarters work better.

Also, as someone above pointed out, you can use accelerated clock in NCAA 11 by switching your tempo to conservative in your offensive gameplan options.

I think you'll only drive yourself crazy trying to get realistic time of possession and playing 15-minute quarters.

Last edited by Strummer101er; 06-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
Precisely.

You should be getting about 60-70 snaps a game on offense. That's all that counts. I got those numbers with 7-minute quarters (and a few well-placed timeouts) in NCAA 10, but if you don't know your way around the playbook, 8-minute quarters work better.

Also, as someone above pointed out, you can use accelerated clock in NCAA 11 by switching your tempo to conservative in your offensive gameplan options.

I think you'll only drive yourself crazy trying to get realistic time of possession and playing 15-minute quarters.
Or I can play Madden and it will work flawlessly

NCAA, please fix this for next year!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »