Home

Calling all Air Raid fans

This is a discussion on Calling all Air Raid fans within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Calling all Air Raid fans

If some of you would like I could write an article about the Air Raid in the style that the EA guy is doing in his offensive blogs.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvd1034
If some of you would like I could write an article about the Air Raid in the style that the EA guy is doing in his offensive blogs.
I would be interested in that and I'm sure others would as well.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 21

I think I'll LOVE to use Air Raid with a couple teambuilder teams....excited to see how this works out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #12
Rookie

I will start one, I'm in the process of moving so it might be a few days. Hopefully I can beat the Air Raid Offensive Style Blog.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
Rookie

I would try to open the attached Word Doc. It has play diagrams included.
Intro-
The Air Raid Offense made famous by coaches like Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Tony Franklin, and Chris Hatcher is a pass first oriented offense. There are few run plays; however, the screens used in the offense fill the void of not having many run plays. The belief of spreading touches to every skill position on the field is a major factor of the Air Raid. Most of the passing plays are concept based and can be run from all of the formations in the playbook. I have seen most of the concepts ran from numerous offensive formations like the I and the Flexbone. Notable schools that use the Air Raid are Texas Tech, Houston, BYU, ECU, and Oklahoma State.
Formations-
Ace- 4 wide double twins look. The X Receiver is on the LOS furthest to the left, while the H Receiver splits the difference between an X and the Left Tackle. The Y Receiver is on the LOS splitting the difference between the Right Tackle and the Z Receiver.

Ace Rip – Same as Ace, but the Y is off the LOS.
Early – Trips Right look. The Y Receiver is on the LOS while the H and Z are off the LOS and X is split left by himself.

Early Rip – Same as Early, but the Y is off the LOS.
Ace Flip – Trips Left look. The X Receiver is on the LOS while the H and Z are off the LOS and Y is split right by himself.
X LT LG C RG RT Y
Z H
QB F

Blue- Two Back look with twins to either side depending on the call. The H Receiver is usually replaced by an F back.

Blue Rip- Same as Blue, but Y is off the LOS.
Blue Flip- Same as Blue, but Z “Flips” and is now on the Left side.

There are numerous other formations like Slot ( Where H back lines up inside the TE and is off the LOS) Slot Flip, Dart (H lines up outside of X), Brown and Orange (Strong and Weak I), but I won’t get into those formations.
Personnel-
The QB in the Air Raid must be able to identify coverage and defensive fronts. If the numbers in the box are favorable we are going to run the ball. If the defense doesn’t respect our Inside Receivers we are going to Arc them until they respect our IR’s.
The F-Back must be a great pass blocker and a great receiver. Many of you might ask how the F knows where to line up. He lines up based on where pass protection is needed or to where his option and flat routes don’t interfere with the concept called.
The X Receiver and Y Receiver are your big play type receivers. At Texas Tech notable X’s and Z’s are Nehemiah Glover, Jarrett Hicks, Joel Filani, Anton Paige, and Michael Crabtree.
The H Receiver is usually a very shifty receiver. Danny Amendola and Wes Welker were H’s early in their careers.
The Y Receiver can either be a possession guy or your go to receiver. The Y has to be a durable Receiver.
The O-Line ID’s the defensive front and calls out the Middle Backer. Some might think that their pass protection schemes get very detailed; however, it is quite a simple process. The OL works with the RB’s and uses a vertical pass set to protect the QB.

Note- I had play diagrams, I'll try to attach the Word Doc and see if they will show.
The Quick Game-
The Quick game was designed to get the ball out quick. Usually a 3 step drop from under and 1 step from gun. Most are run from an Ace set; however, some can be adapted to Ace Flip/Early/Blue sets.
6 – The all Verticals package. X and Z run vertical routes and try to beat the defender deep. The H and Y run a vertical route as well, but if the defender retreats too much, they settle in a hole. This is the Michael Crabtree play as some like to call it. Notable tags to the play are Switch (from a Ace Flip or Early formation) or Comebacks (outside receivers run a 15 yard comeback).

66 – The Hitch package. The Outside Receivers run 5-6 yard hitch routes. This play is usually packaged with 6 when the DB’s are off and to the outside.

60 – Out Routes. The Outside Receivers run and out route. Used when the DB’s are taking away the inside and retreating with the verticals.

7 H-Shoot
Slant/Flat route combo by the X and the H. QB reads who has more leverage of the inside to X or the Flat to H.

8 F-Shoot
Slant/Flat combo with the F back and Z. Same QB read progression as 7. Also called Y Corner.

9 Y-Shoot
Same basic idea as 7 and 8, but with Y and Z now.

618 Y Stick
Bread and butter play. Used in short yardage situations. The Y receiver runs an option route where he basically boxes out the defense and gets open. Z has a go route and F has a flat route. QB reads the Stick/Flat Combo. Also can be called 618 (H) to the Left side.

617 H Flat/ 619 Y Flat
X on a vertical and H on a speed out or Z on a vertical and Y on a speed out. Can be used if the OLB is not respecting the inside Receiver and he has outside leverage.

617 Switch/ 619 Switch
Post/Corner/Flat combo where QB reads which receiver has the best leverage.

90 Series-
90 Shallows- This is a deadly combo against man. Any receiver can be called to run the shallow route. The inside receiver opposite of the shallow runs a 10-12 yard hunt/dig route and settles in a zone or runs vs. man. The two other receivers run a vertical route or can be tagged on a post route. The diagram below is the call “H Shallow.” * Notice the F leaks out to the side that the shallow came from.

92 Mesh – My favorite concept
The mesh is a great man and zone beater when taught right. The Y receiver runs a 5-6 yard crossing route and sits in a zone after he “meshes” with X. He is responsible for the depth of the Mesh. Any receiver running the mesh sits vs. zone and keeps running vs. man. The H runs a flat route and is a safety valve. The Z’s post is the QB’s first read. This play can be ran out of any formation and has numerous tags like 92 PCP, 92 H Wheel, 92 Switch, 92 Return, 92 PCP Double Wheel.

93 – Curl Wheel Combo
93 is a good MOFC concept. It has X running a Curl route and H running a wheel right behind him. The QB reads the Curl player and throws opposite. The Y runs a Sit route over the ball and returns out if he does not receiver it. The Z runs a post route to the middle of the field to occupy the safety.

94 Y Sail
Flood concept of the strong side. QB reads outside backer and strong side corner. Z runs a go route, Y runs a 10 yard out or sail route depending on coverage, X runs a post dig on the backside, H is the backside safety valve and F runs to the strong side flat. Tags H angle, F angle.

95 Y Cross
Big play for 3rd and medium/long. X runs a go route, H runs a five yard option route to the outside, Y runs a crossing route to the weak side, and Z runs a Post-Dig. QB reads weakside backer and throws to the hole that becomes open.

96 All Curls
X/Y/Z run 12-10 yard curls, H runs a flat route and F runs a flat route. QB reads outside to inside. If a cover two look is shown the play is usually checked to shakes. The Y seam is usually wide open due the the Safety being occupied by what looks like a vertical route by the WR’s.

Shakes

98 Smash
Just the usual smash play with #1 on a stop route and #2 on a corner. TX Tech used to run a play called 98 X Sluggo where the X would run a slant and go under the H’s corner. Also a very big play vs. Man coverage.
No diagram for this one.

Screen game-
These are a grouping of plays to slow down the defense and used in place of running plays. I won’t go into great detail for these or the running plays.
Rocket/Lazer – F Screen to the right or left.
X Lary/ Z Randy – Quick screen to the outside Receiver
H Arc/ Y Arc – Bubble Screen to inside receiver
X / Y Missile – Slow screen to Outside Receiver. Crabtree was known for this play as well.
F -5 - Shovel to the F back

Runs –
30 Base Draw – Your plain old base running play from Ace
34/35 – Outside run play from Ace.
34/35 Lead – Lead play out of Blue formation.
H Quick/ Z Quick – Jet Sweep from under center. Can be run from Ace/Blue/Ace Flip/Early. Great play action from this run play.

Hope you enjoyed this offensive style to tide you over. There are a few Air Raid Playbooks such as a Valdosta State one, an Oklahoma one, and a Hoover, Alabama one. Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes.
Attached Files
File Type: doc AIR RAID BLOG.doc (484.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
yeah, i'm gonna pass all over the place with jake heaps and the air raid playbook
He absolutely destroyed my high school last year. I graduated the year before but went to watch. It was shameful to see that happen in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I would try to open the attached Word Doc. It has play diagrams included.
Excellent write-up. It opened in Word perfectly too, so kudos for that as well. Great stuff. It makes it so much fun when you learn an offense then go watch a tape of a team running what you learned, and you see the concepts playing out on the field.

I am going to spend some time with this and then dig through my library of Texas Tech games... I probably have about 20 Mike Leach-era games... I hope he gets back to coaching next year. His teams were always fun and always very competitive. Gonna be weird this year w/ no Mike Leach.

Thanks for that great Air Raid write-up.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Rookie

joeptc's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Being a high school coach in Texas, I am not a fan of what Tony Franklin is doing at High Schools. I think that making money off of what other coaches have came up with is wrong. I don't think that coaching is paying someone to install your whole offense. Coaching is going to clinics, studying offenses, defenses, special teams and implementing them to the strengths of your teams and the weaknesses of your opponents. Now I know Franklin makes it very simple for HS players to run and at the HS level time is very important with players playing both sides of the ball. That is just my opinion.
i agree, down here in Texas so many coaches are spending thousands of dollars to use this system. Im not a huge fan of what Tony Frankiln is doing, but screw it. The man found a way to supplement his coaching salary (or make money after he got fired )

Its funny, the past few 5a state champs here in Texas were based on the Run, and spread option. Not so much the Air Raid. The Air Raid will get you through the regular season when 2/3 the teams you play in district are sub par, but when you get in the playoffs, teams like Trinity, Abilene, Katy, and Stony Point will run you over. Some things never change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »