Home

BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION

This is a discussion on BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #73
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Okay then so don't compare two or three guys to one. Colt threw for over 500 attempts each of those seasons, the rest of those guys didn't even get to 400.

If it's QB by committee than the argument is flaccid. Give those guys 200 maybe 300 more attempts and they'd put up Brennan numbers too. Maybe not in terms of TD's because what he did was ridiculous, but the yardage would be the same.

Believe it or not, and *gasp* are you ready for this? The more one person throws the ball, the higher chance they have of putting up huge numbers.
Did you bother to look at anything other than attempts?

Breenan's completion %, yds/att and td/int ratios were all much better than any of the qb's who have succeeded him, despite the fact that he had far more attempts.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #74
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Did you bother to look at anything other than attempts?

Breenan's completion %, yds/att and td/int ratios were all much better than any of the qb's who have succeeded him, despite the fact that he had far more attempts.
coogrfan, I've never had a problem with what you post, in fact, I find you to be one of the better posters on the board.

All i'm trying to say is, when someone throws the ball as much as he did, his stats are bound to be good. Like I said in my previous post, i'm not discrediting him as a good college QB, because he was, but give those guys more attempts before the comparisons to Brennan or even Chang start to come up
Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #75
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

If we're talking strictly physical ability it's Locker and then everyone else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #76
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
What the hell are you talking about? No one is discrediting Colt as a good college QB, but the more someone does something, the higher there chances are of doing it good.

I'm done talking to you. Now you're comparing hittting a homerun, which is much harder than throwing a football, then you compare Chris Johnson to being a QB in a system that is known for a notorious passing attack.

Entirely different things. That's like me saying the more you shoot in hockey, the better chance you have of scoring a goal. Entirely different sport and action.

The more you do something, the better chance of success, and the fact that Colt threw for 200-300 more attempts individually than the rest of those guys makes your argument mute.
Dude, that's just wrong. Generally speaking completion % goes down with increased attempts, not up. The same applies to almost all passing stats.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #77
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
Dude, that's just wrong. Generally speaking completion % goes down with increased attempts, not up. The same applies to almost all passing stats.
I wasn't speaking in terms of completion %. I was talking about yardage, if you throw the ball 50+ times a game, there's a very good chance you'll put up a good amount of yardage.

If you want to get into things like completion &, yes of course Colt was a good college QB, that's something I never argued against.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #78
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Gosen, You entered the discussion that you weren't involved in from the early goings. Maybe all of what I said shouldn't be entirely directed at you. So my bad. My tone is still carried from another poster who essentially called these QBs pawns in their offenses.

But your comment was:
Quote:
Believe it or not, and *gasp* are you ready for this? The more one person throws the ball, the higher chance they have of putting up huge numbers.
By that logic, the more you do something, the 'larger' your results will be. So if I go suit up for Hawaii for a season, and get the 500+ attempts, I will throw for 5000+ yards? Doubt it.

Of course hitting is different. Of course running the ball is different. Or course hockey is different. But each player does it better/worse than the other. That was the point I was trying to make in the stats I posted. Maybe it wasn't the best of ways to prove my point. I dont know.

Colt is CLEARLY better than any of his successors. And not only because he had more attempts.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #79
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Gosen, You entered the discussion that you weren't involved in from the early goings. Maybe all of what I said shouldn't be entirely directed at you. So my bad. My tone is still carried from another poster who essentially called these QBs pawns in their offenses.

But your comment was:

By that logic, the more you do something, the 'larger' your results will be. So if I go suit up for Hawaii for a season, and get the 500+ attempts, I will throw for 5000+ yards? Doubt it.

Of course hitting is different. Of course running the ball is different. Or course hockey is different. But each player does it better/worse than the other. That was the point I was trying to make in the stats I posted. Maybe it wasn't the best of ways to prove my point. I dont know.

Colt is CLEARLY better than any of his successors. And not only because he had more attempts.
Well of course neither you nor I could put up numbers like that. I was just simply stating that if the other guys put up the amount of attempts Colt did, the yardage would be somewhat close.

The completion %, TD's and other things prove that Colt was of course the better QB than anyone that followed him at Hawaii, that's a given. I think we're both on the same page here, just different ways of stating it.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #80
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Not so, CK is an outstanding runner.

That was a good run, but that doesn't make him an outstanding runner. There was terrible tackling, and no one was in the area when he took off. Look at him run. That is not a fast man. I looked up his 40 time and it's 4.84. That's not all that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I cant believe you are basically calling Quarterbacks pawns in these offenses. Blasphemy.

For example, Hawai'i(although, without June Jones) still run the Run and Shoot offense. Since Brennan, the production from QB has been:

in Comparison to:

Brennan 07

Brennan 06

Brennan 05

Do you still think it's everyone BUT the quarterback? You cant honestly stand by that belief.
First, Brennan was a good QB. He was not a great qb. If you take Greg Alexander, he is only .5 ypc behind Brennan and he throws int's less often. He's not that far off if they stuck with him. And there's a key difference in those Hawaii teams. No June Jones. I said those offenses need the coach to be run effectively, and it is clear that Greg McMackin (who comes from a defensive background) is not as skilled at teaching and handling that offense than is June Jones. I think the difference in numbers has more to do with June Jones leaving than Colt Brennan.

And I'm not saying that this offense can't produce great QB's. But it never has. It makes average to good QB's look like great to phenomenal qb's. Take Hawaii's qb's. Are those guys all really better than Luck, Locker, Mallett, Ponder, and Moore? Because their number would suggest that, if they aren't better, they're really close.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »