Home

BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION

This is a discussion on BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #33
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: BEST PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblake16x
FINALLY! I am from seattle, and even though a few years ago my high school lost to his, and he is the starting QB for my hometown college... I cannot get on his train. ANY quarterback that throws a completion less than 50% in college isnt that good. I dont think he will be a star in the NFL...big hype-mania
Locker completed 58% of his passes in 09.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #34
Hook 'Em Horns

St3fN_sTrApS's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman282
He is in the game on the teambuilder rosters. And thanks for checkin my mistake on his name. For his ncaa 11 ratings he is a 99 ovr for kick return!
I think you might be lookin at Marquise Goodwin (#8) bro, cuz D.J. is #26, and I didn't see him on the teambuilder site for 2011, only on 2010.

"Haters can make like bees with no stingers, and DROP DEAD!"
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #35
Rookie

markman282's Arena

OVR: 14

And also to settle the best QB in the nation dispute ill give you my top 20 qb's for the 2011 season. These will be in no particular order for worst or best.

1) Ryan Mallet - Ark.
2) Kellen Moore - Boise
3) Case Keenum - Houston
4) Greg McElroy - Bama
5) Andrew Luck - Stanford
6) Jake Locker - Wash.
7) Terrel Pryor - OSU
8) Josh Nesbitt - GT
9) Andy Dalton - TCU
10) Jerrod Johnson - A&M
11)
Jacory Harris - Miami
12) Tyrod Taylor - VT
13) Matt Barkley - USC
14) Landry Jones - Okla.
15) Robert Griffin - Baylor
16) John Brantley - Florida
17) Colin Kaepernick - Nevada
18) Christian Ponder - FSU
19) Russell Wilson - NCST
20) Zach Collaros - Cinni.

So what do you think now?
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAA: Notre Dame Fightin' Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #36
Rookie

markman282's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3fN_sTrApS
I think you might be lookin at Marquise Goodwin (#8) bro, cuz D.J. is #26, and I didn't see him on the teambuilder site for 2011, only on 2010.
Jeez man you got me again! your 2 for 2 haha. and about DJ Monroe bad bad news. Got arrested for DWI and suspended indefinitely so thats the reason hes not in ncaa anymore.
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAA: Notre Dame Fightin' Irish
Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #37
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
So the fact that Keenum's team is more dependent on him to be successful is some sort of negative? There's no denying CK had a bad day vs AF but that in no way invalidates back to back 5000+ yd passing seasons (the second player in cfb history to do so) and leading the nation in total offense in each of the last two seasons.

The pass happy offense argument is misleading too:

Keenum: 7.6 yds/play in 2009
Locker: 6/3 yds/play in 2009
Mallett: 7.8 yds/play in 2009

Finally, the competition argument ignores the fact that both Mallett and Locker have superior supporting casts. Of these three qb's Keenum has clearly done the most with the least talent. Also, in two games against common opponents Keenum out-threw Mallett by 446 yards.
Colt Brennan, Timmy Chang, Graham Harrell, all QB's that put up monster numbers in that type of offense, but couldn't do anything once they were in a real offense. Were they the best QB's in college football during their careers? Nope. It's the offense that inflates QB numbers because they throw so much, and because the throw short passes often, which boosts the completion %, and more td's because they don't run in the endzone. He's not getting punished for his teams reliance on him, but I'm not going to annoint him the top QB when he's playing in an offense that has a long history of making good college QB's look like legends. If he was in a pro-style offense, he wouldn't be able to put up near those kinds of number. Don't get me wrong - it's a great scheme, and it obviously works - but his performance is more the result of the coaches and the scheme they run than his ability to read defenses and make throws. He's a very good QB. He deserves to be mentioned with the best. But he is behind a handful of other guys with more ability.

And if you look at pass attempts, if Ryan Mallett had thrown as many passes as Keenum, based on his 09 stats, he would've thrown for 6300 yards, 52 td's, and 12 ints. All significantly better than Keenum.

Jake Locker is highly regarded because of the fact that he plays in a pro offense, and so his numbers are more indicative of what he can do. He has shown marked improvement throughout his career, and there is an expectation of that to continue. He gets more credit for potential than either of the other two, because of his great natural talent. And I'm not so sure that Locker has a much better supporting cast. His receivers are, imo, overrated, and only made to look good by his play. His offensive line has been weak throughout his career, and the defense has been a weakness on that team as well. Washington is lucky to be a bowl team, despite having one of the better qb's in the nation leading them.

Keenum is no doubt a very good qb. But it is clear that he is not nearly as good as his numbers would indicate, as that offensive scheme is a very difficult one to stop with even mediocre players (which is why it is mostly used by smaller schools, and when a team with great players got a hold of it, you saw the Texas Tech from a couple years ago). Kyle Padron of SMU projects to clear 4000 yards this year as a Sophomore after raking in 1922 as a freshman last season. Is he an elite QB? Does he have a great supporting cast? Steven Sheffield, Texas Tech's backup, put up 1200 yards, a 75% comp., and 14 td's in just 136 passes, is he that good? What about Levi Brown of Troy with 4200 yards, 23 td, 9 int? Or Tyler Sheehan of Bowling Green with 4000 yards, 29 td, 7 int?

Btw, I'm surprised Kellen Moore and Christian Ponder haven't gotten more love on here.

Last edited by DonkeyJote; 06-26-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 4

Wow I'm the first Arkansas fan to join in on the conversation? I watched both teams cause my father went to USC and I watch bunch of Pac-10. There's no best QB in the nation.

Mallett: He's my prototype quarterback. His shoddy desicion making is outweighed by his production downfield. He's 6'7" and takes hits. He can hit EVERY position on the field. But his desicion making and his lack of touch knocks him out of contention. Also he can't preform at first cause he can't calm down and gets wiled up. Even as an Arkansas fan I wouldn't him draft him even if my other choice was Keith freaking Null.

Locker: I wouldn't mind a quarterback in college with an 4.4 forty time!!! His playing has increased greatly every season that's why he's considered the best this year cause people are expecting him to reach his best potential. In my eyes he's another Jordan Jefferson, JaMarcus Russell, or and Terrelle Pryor. He's an athlete but is too unorthodox for nobody but a true mastermind to get him to succeed. His accuracy has improved and so has his surrounding cast he won't win any superbowls but will be a good back-up in the NFL like a Matt Cassell.

Keenum: This guy is a product of a system. But he would work in a west coast offense like Houston or Texas Tech. He obviously isn't the best.

This is like last year when we were determining between McCoy, Breadford, and Tebow.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #39
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdwills3521
Wow I'm the first Arkansas fan to join in on the conversation? I watched both teams cause my father went to USC and I watch bunch of Pac-10. There's no best QB in the nation.

Mallett: He's my prototype quarterback. His shoddy desicion making is outweighed by his production downfield. He's 6'7" and takes hits. He can hit EVERY position on the field. But his desicion making and his lack of touch knocks him out of contention. Also he can't preform at first cause he can't calm down and gets wiled up. Even as an Arkansas fan I wouldn't him draft him even if my other choice was Keith freaking Null.

Locker: I wouldn't mind a quarterback in college with an 4.4 forty time!!! His playing has increased greatly every season that's why he's considered the best this year cause people are expecting him to reach his best potential. In my eyes he's another Jordan Jefferson, JaMarcus Russell, or and Terrelle Pryor. He's an athlete but is too unorthodox for nobody but a true mastermind to get him to succeed. His accuracy has improved and so has his surrounding cast he won't win any superbowls but will be a good back-up in the NFL like a Matt Cassell.

Keenum: This guy is a product of a system. But he would work in a west coast offense like Houston or Texas Tech. He obviously isn't the best.

This is like last year when we were determining between McCoy, Breadford, and Tebow.
Locker isn't Jefferson, Russell, or Pryor. He doesn't really run much, so he doesn't fit that mold. He does still need to work on his accuracy, and his decision making needs more work, but he doesn't use his legs a whole lot at this point. His freshman season, when he ran for 900+ yards, was partially a result of Washington using the spread at the time. He still needs work, but I think comparing him to the "athlete" qb's isn't quite accurate. For one, he has a much more solid head on his shoulders than Russell and Jefferson, and that is what cost Russell a shot at being very good. For two, he doesn't rely on that athletic ability. His technique is better, and he is better than any of those guys at reading defenses. He is an NFL QB. No matter where you think he'll get drafted, he will get drafted.

Mallett needs to mature. A lot. He loves the game and gets too amped, like you said, and tries to make too much happen sometimes. All in all though, he doesn't make too many costly mistakes (only 7 int is fantastic), and he's got all the physical tools. He just needs to let the game come to him more.

I really like Kellen Moore. He's accurate, has a good (but not great) arm, moves well enough to be able to roll him out, and makes smart decisions. I think he could be great in a west coast offense in the NFL.

Christian Ponder is very good too. He's got a strong arm, is accurate, and really improved his decision making last year. I think he's a guy that when it's all said and done is a first round pick next April.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #40
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5

as an impartial buckeye fan, it depends on the system which guy you would want, mallett is by far the best passer, great size to see over the line, huge arm and accurate, locker works great in a oregon, michigan, west virginia type system where he can hurt you with his legs or arm, better passer than most running qbs but still completing less than 60%, keenum (i did get to see a good portion of his games last year) is very accurate and will pick you to pieces but doesnt really have the huge arm athough he does have good arm strenght. i guess wut im saying is id go with mallett #1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »