Home

It is time for position specifics

This is a discussion on It is time for position specifics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
It is time for position specifics

There have been a ton of changes made this year to the offensive side of the football and so far I must say that they are necessary and we are getting closer everyday to a truer simulation of college football but there is one major change that must be made. I know that a lot people would agree when I say that to continue to be as generic with player positions. I call them position specifics, you can call it whatever you want, the bottom line is that there is not a team in the country that plays with ROLB's and LOLB's. It is absurd that this continues to be in the game. In football people have a Strong Side Linebacker and a Weakside Linebacker, commonly called Sam and Will. The problem with having Linebackers pinned to the left and right is that you have different skills sets for a Sam backer and a Will backer. That is like asking a FB to play FB one play and the next play TE. Ultimately yes they are still blocking or running a short to intermediate route but they are two completely different styles of blocking and routes. I understand that there are some logistics that make this tough but it has to be added for this game to take the next step. Along that same train of thought when are we going to be able to move our Strong Safeties to either side of the field. If you are going to call him the Strong Safety than let me use him as such and move him to the side of the ball that I determine to be the strength.

With all that I have said about defense these concepts can be applied to the offensive side of the ball as well. They are not as glaring as they are on defense but they are necessary changes that must be made. The most important is the ability, for teams that huddle, to have Flankers, Split Ends, and slot players. This would make the game even more realistic. Imagine what could be done if you didn't have to think about who was on which side and whether or not they had the ability to run the route. The other key reason for this is that you may want to play your best receiver in the slot on 3 WR situations but on 2 WR situations you don't this is a change that should be easily changed. I know this sounds like a formation sub type change but it is not it is a Position Specifics change. There are other examples of this such as if you wanted your best corner to play the nickel corner in nickel situations and ect.

The whole point of me pointing this out is so that the producers of the game understand that there is a lot that they get right as far as graphics, frame rate and etc. right but some of the football stuff they are still behind on and that is a shame. I buy this game not for the graphics or newest technology but to play a great football game but I feel as though I am smarter football wise than the creators and that bothers me and that I am seeing getting my little brothers view of the way football is played and not someone who has a deep knowledge of the game of football.

For those of you out there that agree or disagree lets discuss it. I am more than willing to share my thoughts and have a civilized conversation about football with you.

Last edited by BUCTD3; 06-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: IT IS TIME FOR POSITION SPECIFICS

i agree, i have been wanting this for years too. There is so much more that could be done. and think of the impact on recruiting and all the extra stuff
Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Absolutely agree, they should also add strong/weak(1 or 3 tech) dt's for even front teams.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Rookie

Lynx34's Arena

OVR: 4

All the changes you mention would be huge and I fully support all of them. There also needs to be the option for defenses to key on match-ups. If the offense has the ability to put their best receiver in the slot, then the defense should be able to assign their best corner to defend that guy. There also needs to be the ability to put corners on the wide side and short side of the field. If a team has two corners that are both good in coverage but one is significantly better at tackling in space, they are put on the side of the field with more of it.

Options, options, options, EA. That's the key. They can keep the dumbed-down version for people that don't want to deal with more complex features, but there needs to be more for those of us that want it.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

If this is tough to implement logistically, I've suggested they just add a pre snap audible that will align the strong and weak side players. You could have one audible for the safeties (strong/free), CBs (field/boundary), LBs (Sam/Will, or ILBs in 3-4), and one for the DTs. Also just implement one audible that automatically flips all of the above.

So the offense comes to the line, it shows strong on the left side, one quick audible and you defenders flip with the offense.

Obviuosly I'd rather it just get programmed correctly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

I like the idea but ultimately would you want each user to call the strength? That is something that can't be programmed one week a defense could call strength to the FB the next to the TE. Heck against a shotgun or "spread" team strength could be to or away from the back.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Rookie

PhillyPhanatic's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCTD3
There have been a ton of changes made this year to the offensive side of the football and so far I must say that they are necessary and we are getting closer everyday to a truer simulation of college football but there is one major change that must be made. I know that a lot people would agree when I say that to continue to be as generic with player positions. I call them position specifics, you can call it whatever you want, the bottom line is that there is not a team in the country that plays with ROLB's and LOLB's. It is absurd that this continues to be in the game. In football people have a Strong Side Linebacker and a Weakside Linebacker, commonly called Sam and Will. The problem with having Linebackers pinned to the left and right is that you have different skills sets for a Sam backer and a Will backer. That is like asking a FB to play FB one play and the next play TE. Ultimately yes they are still blocking or running a short to intermediate route but they are two completely different styles of blocking and routes. I understand that there are some logistics that make this tough but it has to be added for this game to take the next step. Along that same train of thought when are we going to be able to move our Strong Safeties to either side of the field. If you are going to call him the Strong Safety than let me use him as such and move him to the side of the ball that I determine to be the strength.

With all that I have said about defense these concepts can be applied to the offensive side of the ball as well. They are not as glaring as they are on defense but they are necessary changes that must be made. The most important is the ability, for teams that huddle, to have Flankers, Split Ends, and slot players. This would make the game even more realistic. Imagine what could be done if you didn't have to think about who was on which side and whether or not they had the ability to run the route. The other key reason for this is that you may want to play your best receiver in the slot on 3 WR situations but on 2 WR situations you don't this is a change that should be easily changed. I know this sounds like a formation sub type change but it is not it is a Position Specifics change. There are other examples of this such as if you wanted your best corner to play the nickel corner in nickel situations and ect.

The whole point of me pointing this out is so that the producers of the game understand that there is a lot that they get right as far as graphics, frame rate and etc. right but some of the football stuff they are still behind on and that is a shame. I buy this game not for the graphics or newest technology but to play a great football game but I feel as though I am smarter football wise than the creators and that bothers me and that I am seeing getting my little brothers view of the way football is played and not someone who has a deep knowledge of the game of football.

For those of you out there that agree or disagree lets discuss it. I am more than willing to share my thoughts and have a civilized conversation about football with you.
This is the most reading ive done since school got out lol... but yeah, i agree
Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

I am sorry for the length of the post but I needed to make sure that I clearly stated my thoughts. The ideas that people have had to allow for these changes are great I personally think that the best way to do it would be to give the controller a one button declaration pre snap and then the have to adjust your defense to motion or shifts. If the player tried to trade everybody during the motion that be something that could potentially cost you and give the offense an opportunity for a big play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »