Home

Celebrations: Step Your Game Up, EA

This is a discussion on Celebrations: Step Your Game Up, EA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Rookie

johnrice20022002's Arena

OVR: 4
Celebrations: Step Your Game Up, EA

Lovin' this years NCAA 11 right now. Been playing the demo religiously since it dropped.
But I'm having hard time watching the fruits of my athletic labor become mightily stale...

I'm talking bout celebrations after touchdowns, sacks, safeties, last second miracles etc.

Quality-wise, they're all pretty good this year. But there's definitely room for improvement.

It looks and feels unnatural to have to run across the entire field to celebrate with the mascot or wait for ONE slow-butt teammate after a 75-yard TD scamper so you can high five, shimmy, then walk away like nothing just happened

Straight up cut-scenes next year, no real-time wackness.

Cut-scenes drastically improve editing as well, giving us a seamless football experience

Some examples,

Generic Touchdown Scene should be:

1. Big Play
2. Cut Straight To Celebration Scene
3. Cut to Crowd Scene (Optional)
4. Cut to Playcall Screen
5. Extra-Point
6. Sideline Shot (Big Play Only)
7. Cut to Playcall-Screen

Momentum Shifters (Sack, Interception, 4th Down Stop)

1. Big Play
2. Cut to Triggered Player/Crowd/Coach Celebration
3. ESPN Replay
4. Crowd Shot(Optional)
5. Cut to Playcall Screen

EPIC Fail/Success (Game-Winning Field Goal, Touchdown, Interception etc)

1. Big Play
2. Long Cut-Scene (Players celebrating/dejected on field, Coaches shaking hands, Crowd Shots, etc.)
3. Post-game Re-cap
4. End game Screen

Now, WHAT needs to be added:

-AT LEAST 40 standard celebration scenes for touchdowns, majority being team-oriented (high five, knocking helmets, 3 or 4 dudes getting hyped etc.) and the rest being what we see every Saturday( pointing to sky, on the knees praying, I can't hear you etc."

- Team-oriented celebrations after turnovers, sacks, swats, big catches. It's college football, guys. When a DB picks off an errant pass, there's bound to be a teammate there to pat him on the back, bump chests, high five or just get silly-hyped w/ him.

- Sideline celebrations. Saw a few in the demo, standard broadcast style. Add at least 10 more scenes of players talking to each other, the camera, or the head coach/assistant coach giving his pigskin pupils some encouragement after an awesome play.

- 10 team-specific celebrations triggered through button-presses. Let's kick it old school like NCAA 05. Examples: Individual, one teammate, two teammates, three teammates and an "extreme" version w/ possible penalty) I know the "Organization" may not like it, but damn it, WE do.

- Double the amount of crowd shots. I'm tired of watching the same 10 people clap, raise their hands, talk to each other, then sit down. Good quality, Increased Quantity

- Situation-specific celebration. 4th and goal on the one yard line with 10 seconds left, down by 6...Game-winning field goal...80 yard, last-second, Kordell-to-Westbrook Hail-Mary... 50 yard scamper with no time left...PANDE-FREAKING-MONIUM. No more wide shots of the stadium then the generic end-game cutscenes. I want to feel like I just won, or lost, something big after giving away 20-60 minutes of my short life lol.

- End Game Celebrations: Major league improvement this year. I'm liking the team specific ones (The U, Horns, Seminole Chop). Add in at least 5 more generic celebrations, then I'll be good. Variety, baby

Give us these enhancements, EA, along with this year's gameplay and presentation improvements, and you'll get my money next year.

Like Men's Wearhouse, "I guarantee it".

Last edited by johnrice20022002; 06-27-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Anal Literary Editing haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Rookie

KingCashus's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Celebrations: Step Your Game Up, EA

You actually ASKED for cutscenes, what most people begged to be done away with in sports games. I'm cool either way. Good write-up.

Hope there is more variety in the retail version.

NBA 2K14 Next Gen is a must-buy.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
Rookie

johnrice20022002's Arena

OVR: 4

Yeah, boss. I was one of those guys back in the day. However, I didn't want them because they were either too generic, repetitive and/or awkward. Now, with today's consoles, there's no reason we shouldn't have more variety. Appreciate the comment though.

Last edited by johnrice20022002; 06-27-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrice20022002
Yeah, boss. I was one of those guys back in the day. However, I didn't want them because they were either too generic, repetitive and/or awkward. Now, with today's consoles, there's no reason we shouldn't have more variety. Appreciate the comment though.
I'm with you man.. I don't like skipping cut scenes.. The more the better!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 19

Id much rather the celebrations be realtime like in 2k games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I miss the "high-step," and taunting type celebrations that drew flags on the old PS2 versions of the game.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm a big cut-scene fan myself, and I hope they keep moving forward with them.

I think it would add a lot if they added commentary over the cut scenes, like acknowledging when the kicker is warming up on the sidelines when his team is nearing game-winning field goal range. Or when the QB is being congratulated on the sideline, saying something like "and there he is being congratulated by his teammates after putting them up by two scores."

I also think fading to black with the theme music playing after an extra point, timeout, turnover, etc. would add a lot too, simulating when a game would cut to commercial (no actual commercials, of coarse).

They also need a score ticker at the bottom with scores and stats from around your Dynasty. And some more interesting stat overlays (upcoming schedule, top 25, etc.)

Bottom line though, if they keep added to their cut scene collection by 30-40% each year, we'll start getting to the point where you'll see a lot of variety each game, which keeps the everything feeling fresh.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 28

I like how The Show added both. You can choose either real-time or broadcast (which essentially gives you cutscenes).

I don't mind cut scenes but if they enhance the real-time aspect of the post-play celebrations, I believe it may seem more natural.

I am with the original poster, once you play a game over and over, things get repetitive. Repetitiveness is hard to avoid but if there is variety that would help. Also, I agree with the mascot celebrations. If the mascot isn't within 10 yards, it shouldn't prompt it. But, again, it is a choice given to us on whether we want to utilize this celebration or not...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »