Home

Is the 360 Holding this game back?

This is a discussion on Is the 360 Holding this game back? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
Pro

wisecav's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Is the 360 Holding this game back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampStomper90
Actually...no. The devs said that they build it for the 360, then port it to the PS3 and change the buttons so it says X instead of A.
No. They do not port it.
Boston Celtics
Boston Red Sox
Washington Capitals
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm honestly not sure, because I've seen both stated.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigfoo9
Hard for to me believe that when the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube didn't hold the quality NCAA games they made back in the day.
I didn't really follow that post, but I feel like the quality of the NCAA games on PS2 and XBox was better for its time than NCAA 09 and 10 have been for their time. I don't think the problems with NCAA are related to graphics or framerate--I think it's a nice looking game and it runs smoothly at twice the framerate that many 6th gen games did (60fps vs. 30fps).

The problem is a lack of imagination, and a design decision to take the control partially out of the hands of the player. Although there are more complex control inputs in today's NCAA games than, say, 5 years ago, everything is still heavily rooted in animations. To me, that was the one thing 2k5 did so well--it broke down pieces of action within the gameplay and gave you something meaningful to do. You could left stick juke at the line, use a shoulder barge, juke, or stiff arm into contact, and then fight for additional yardage by charging up "A" or "X". In Madden 2005, you pretty much just held the stick up towards contact and let the game take over. The control inputs in 2k5 gave the user a sense of purpose that Madden was failing to provide.

That's why I feel Madden 10 (which I generally liked) kinda missed the boat. What we want as gamers isn't just the ability to "fight for every yard"...we want true 1:1 input vs. on-screen results. In other words, if I'm being grappled by a tackler, mashing around aimlessly on the R stick might engage some algorithm that could result in me breaking the tackle. But it's not like I'm seeing my guy lunge forward every time I move the R stick in a certain direction. So, I'm still left with the feeling that the computer is in the driver's seat.

That's why the locomotion/balance ideas in NCAA and Madden sound intriguing--except I have no idea how they work. The NCAA 11 demo controlled well, but until I get more of an understanding of what the controls are, it's tough for me to say that it's really an evolved experience.

But none of that has anything to do with the technical specs of 360 vs. PS3. So, no, I don't think one system is holding the other one back...I think this game just needs to evolve in ways that aren't related to the visuals because, actually, the visuals are pretty darn good.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Why is it that they always have vids only showing it for the 360? For people who had ncaa 10 on ps3 you can play it in 1080p, you have to check only 1080p in display settings.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 9

If anything, the PS3 is holding it back. It is much harder to develop for.

Bottom line, PS3 has a more powerful CPU but less ram. 360 has a more powerful GPU and more ram and is easier to code for.

Last edited by clivo1050; 06-28-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure, because I've seen both stated.
Adam Thompson stated explicitly that the game is built individually on both the 360 and PS3 side-by-side. The porting rumor is a myth.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #23
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Actually...no. The devs said that they build it for the 360, then port it to the PS3 and change the buttons so it says X instead of A.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041145816

Quote:
Actually, we have never ported from 360 to PS3. Most of the game is developed for both consoles side by side. That's why there are very few differences between the two versions.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwhatzup
Why is it that they always have vids only showing it for the 360?
Games are made on the 360 first. Then ported to PS3, then to PC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »