Home

Is the 360 Holding this game back?

This is a discussion on Is the 360 Holding this game back? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Is the 360 Holding this game back?

Is it possible the 360 is holding Ncaa back because it obvious that they make for the 360 and move it over to the ps3. You don't see demonstration videos of it on the ps3 (E3). The ps3 has tons of space for a lot of features, and 360 doesn't have the same space. Why do they have the same features when you have more space you can utilize for the ps3?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Is the 360 Holding this game back?

well, this may not end well as a discussion. But I will say this....look at games like Red Dead.... and a few other games.

These games are deep, and very well made.

I'd say the the only thing holding this game back is EA. At this point, what's holding this game back are little things. But a bunch of little things add up.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

No.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

My understanding, could be wrong and please correct me if I am:

Other than the ability to read Blu-ray, I don't see really a significant difference power-wise between the two systems. The only major thing that developers would be able to do with that space is store more media (i.e. higher-resolution textures, more sound); in terms of number-crunching power, though, there isn't a significant difference between the systems, and in fact the PS3 may be a limiting factor based on how its RAM is allocated for graphics operations.

Extrapolating on that last point, I've read that the PS3 has a set amount of video RAM useable by developers (256 MB, I think; it does have more RAM elsewhere in addition to this, but it's not for use in graphics operations) for any call to draw a frame of the game to the screen, whereas the 360 has a larger general RAM pool (512 MB, I believe) which can be used for video and other needs as the developer sees fit; as such more resources can be used for game drawing on the 360 if needed, or if less memory is needed for storing assets to draw then more can be pushed for game logic.

Unrelated to that, and probably more importantly, the 360 is reportedly also much easier to program for, as it behaves similar to a PC, and assuming such is true that's the main reason why it's the go-to console because stuff can get done quicker on it.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-28-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: ninja edit for more detail
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Rookie

WKUweather's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
well, this may not end well as a discussion. But I will say this....look at games like Red Dead.... and a few other games.

These games are deep, and very well made.

I'd say the the only thing holding this game back is EA. At this point, what's holding this game back are little things. But a bunch of little things add up.
^^^^ This

My brother has a 360 and Red Dead is a very good game graphically and game play wise, and that is just one of many.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

It would be nice to get the game in 1080 for a change.

I don't see what's preventing that.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I'd say yes and no. Each console is lacking where the other is not. Most notably is Blu Ray. The PS3 has more room for NCAA on the disk, but it also lacks the RAM the 360 has and that will set it back some. Also, games are much easier to make on the 360 than PS3 so EA has taken the easy route and makes it for 360.

― Plato
Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
My understanding, could be wrong and please correct me if I am:

Other than the ability to read Blu-ray, I don't see really a significant difference power-wise between the two systems. The only major thing that developers would be able to do with that space is store more media (i.e. higher-resolution textures, more sound); in terms of number-crunching power, though, there isn't a significant difference between the systems, and in fact the PS3 may be a limiting factor based on how its RAM is allocated for graphics operations.

Extrapolating on that last point, I've read that the PS3 has a set amount of video RAM useable by developers (256 MB, I think; it does have more RAM elsewhere in addition to this, but it's not for use in graphics operations) for any call to draw a frame of the game to the screen, whereas the 360 has a larger general RAM pool (512 MB, I believe) which can be used for video and other needs as the developer sees fit; as such more resources can be used for game drawing on the 360 if needed, or if less memory is needed for storing assets to draw then more can be pushed for game logic.

Unrelated to that, and probably more importantly, the 360 is reportedly also much easier to program for, as it behaves similar to a PC, and assuming such is true that's the main reason why it's the go-to console because stuff can get done quicker on it.
Amazing post.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »