Home

Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA??

This is a discussion on Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA??

I keep reading about this EA embargo for those who have the game early. Why? There is no competition to steal any ideas. I know I read that it's not necessarily because the game is bad, nor am I implying it, but if that isn't the reason then why do we have an embargo at all?

Does anyone know?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA??

Most of the time embargoes ensure that each media outlet gets a fair chance to cover the game. It wouldn't be fair to gamespot, for example, if Ign was able to release a review and get the hits as soon as they get the game. An embargo levels the playing field for the media outlets. It's like a street date.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Rookie

johnrice20022002's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I keep reading about this EA embargo for those who have the game early. Why? There is no competition to steal any ideas. I know I read that it's not necessarily because the game is bad, nor am I implying it, but if that isn't the reason then why do we have an embargo at all?

Does anyone know?
First thought: Online Marketing.

By having us wait till the 9th and then get blasted with tons of usually positive first impressions, videos, audio etc., we become more infatuated with the product, directly leading to more purchasers when the 13th rolls around.

From a purely fiscal perspective, smart move by EA.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

You guys bring up some interesting points I hadn't thought of. I'll bet it's a combination of both. If they think we won't find the negatives though here at OS in 3 days of coverage then they don't know us too well, LOL...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

That's just standard practice in the industry for all games. They want reviews coming out at around the same time, normally right before the game comes out. I believe the same sort of thing happens for movies, but I could be off there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

It's not exactly an "EA" only thing. most games/companies follow this "rule", which is why you usually see reviews/previews for games coming out on or around the same day for all the media sites.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Slightly different take: We all know that game companies alway use embargoes because this allows them to control information and eliminate potentially negative press. "This doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the game"

But that is the point. By keeping an embargo on each game, we never have a reason to think the game is bad or good. What it comes down is this. The potential benefit from positive impression is outweighed by the potential determent of negative impressions.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg

Does anyone know?
does that mean not necessarily good? what have you heard that i haven't?

or am i misinterpreting the post?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »