Home

QB running backward: Maybe stupid but...

This is a discussion on QB running backward: Maybe stupid but... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

OVR: 5
QB running backward: Maybe stupid but...

Please don't flame me too death but could the spelling of the play name being misspelled make the routines run wild?

In my Bugs post I noted that the PA BOOT is spelled BOOTT. Could the running backwards be caused by the routines trying to find that play in some massive list of code and not finding it because of the spelling error?

Silly I know but I am curious.

Last edited by twthomas; 07-13-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Re: QB running backward: Maybe stupid but...

Is it really so outrageous no one wants to tell me? I am starting to think I am onto something. Its happened to me four times and ONLY on the PA BOOT thats spelled wrong.

Is it my luck?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Rookie

TigerRag's Arena

OVR: 4

You could be on to something man but no one here is going to know for sure besides the devs. Good eye though.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Rookie

brentech's Arena

OVR: 1

I caught a glimpse of this while using Ohio State. I can't imagine it has to do with the spelling, but some sort of procedural or animation glitch during the hand off sequence. Cause he gets caught running in this diagonal until you hit a button to make him snap out of it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRag
You could be on to something man but no one here is going to know for sure besides the devs. Good eye though.
Yeah I was hoping it might catch a Dev's eye. With the Strict rules in the Bug thread I don't want to risk banishment for straying from the template to suggest a possible indicator
to the problem. Maybe if I can get this thread lit up a little, someone who does know will look at it.

Thanks bro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

I'll go out on a limb and say that you could be right. I have only been able to play one quick game (watching the All-Star game) and haven't had it happen to me but from my experience with programming, stuff like this happens a lot. Heck, a lot of code is even case-sensitive so even if it is spelled the same, (boot and BOOT) it might not match up if the cases are different. Like Tiger said though, most likely, only the devs will know for sure but it wouldn't shock me from what you're saying.

I had this kind of thing happen to me a lot in my last project...started to get REALLY mad at myself for not paying more attention to things like that.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Rookie

Garam05's Arena

OVR: 2

Having worked with coding programs before, it wouldn't be too terribly surprising if this were the case. It all depends on how they reference things, and whether the accurate name of the referenced code is shown to the user on the play select screen. It may read the PA part, then when it gets to BOOTT, it sorta gets confused with what it is supposed to be referencing and just continues the PA code until it either skips the BOOTT portion or has user interference. I had an incorrect reference in one line during the last project I worked on that ended up causing it to fail totally, so who knows.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't know guys. I played about 10 games before seeing this and when I did see it it was the CPU who got caught in the animation but the QB came out of it after running about 30 yards backwards and burnt with a TD pass. You can watch the video of it in the video forum, page 17. It's almost like it was a play in the playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »