Home

Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

This is a discussion on Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CizzLark
This sounds like Madden fans getting adjusted to the NCAA FB passing game. Remember, you must take control of your receiver and go get the ball.
I don't play madden.. at all. It's definitely much, much harder.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Yup I agree
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 34

Damn, someone beat me to it lol.

Yeah, I noticed this in practice mode also.

In man under coverage, you still get a plenty of 'gimme' inside releases on slants/drags...and yes..there is a lot of mirroring going on, rather then proper technique being displayed.

Press coverage is a simdge better. Madden 10, you could press coverage with anyone, just as long as they had speed.

This year, its not the case, from what I have seen this year so far.

The press technique looks more fluid, but tht tendency to allow the inside release, bothers me.

It looks better and smoother, thanks to locomotion, but it is still route mirroring.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I see man coverage as the new "fix offensive blocking" issue. I don't think you're going to see much this year but now that other gameplay issues have been resolved, perhaps the technique of defensive players will be addressed for next year.

On the other hand, as frustrated as I am about many of these routes, I do notice that DBs with average to lower ratings don't cover these as successful as the higher rated DBs. I have plenty of success completing every kind of route, you just have to recognize which one is open on each play.

Remember, no matter how frustrated you get, you can't force the throw to the out or the comeback just because you THINK it should work. That's not how it works in the real world and it's not how it works in the game either. Know your matchups, recognize the coverage, and hit the appropriate routes.

To take the advice of a previous poster, I think I might adjust the slider for coverage, but I'm vary cautious about this because I think the game plays great out of the box on AA.

A lot of folks get frustrated over what the CPU does, but sometimes we have to improve our knowledge of the game and ability to play it out. Ups and downs are part of it and matchups are a largely misunderstood aspect. It's never as simple as saying "an out should be open against man coverage". There are times when it won't and times when it will, just like any route against any coverage.

We're so used to being able to dominate the video game world that some don't know how to handle it when we aren't successful all of the time. If I'm playing a dynasty or stretch of games with a team like Kansas State, I should have to fight for a winning record in the game.

We have cried for realism, but when we get it we get frustrated because realism means not winning as much.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
We're so used to being able to dominate the video game world that some don't know how to handle it when we aren't successful all of the time. If I'm playing a dynasty or stretch of games with a team like Kansas State, I should have to fight for a winning record in the game.

We have cried for realism, but when we get it we get frustrated because realism means not winning as much.
Most important statement on the board, right there. Pin it, Sticky it, whatever you want to say.

Everyone wants the game to be realistic but then they get upset when things are harder. If you TRULY want realistic, then the game should be hard. Like he said, if you're playing a dynasty with a team like Kansas State, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, whoever, then you should be fighting for bowl eligibility, let alone a BCS game.

It SHOULD be hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
Most important statement on the board, right there. Pin it, Sticky it, whatever you want to say.

Everyone wants the game to be realistic but then they get upset when things are harder. If you TRULY want realistic, then the game should be hard. Like he said, if you're playing a dynasty with a team like Kansas State, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, whoever, then you should be fighting for bowl eligibility, let alone a BCS game.

It SHOULD be hard.
I direct you to 1:36 of the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCQM1gcEv5E

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunna2006
but playing online its always been way too easy... you gotta remember that if this route is open 3/10 times and other routes are open 2/10 times then a good user would be hitting on plays with 3 WRs 7/10 times.. and most plays have 4 or 5 options
You also have to factor in drops (which are very common this year), overthrows, wtf bat downs, and pressure. Its not as simple as "3 WR=70% chance"

I think man coverage is overpowered too, although my problem may be because all my opponent's are using North Carolina which has a ridiculous D in this game.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I see man coverage as the new "fix offensive blocking" issue. I don't think you're going to see much this year but now that other gameplay issues have been resolved, perhaps the technique of defensive players will be addressed for next year.

On the other hand, as frustrated as I am about many of these routes, I do notice that DBs with average to lower ratings don't cover these as successful as the higher rated DBs. I have plenty of success completing every kind of route, you just have to recognize which one is open on each play.

Remember, no matter how frustrated you get, you can't force the throw to the out or the comeback just because you THINK it should work. That's not how it works in the real world and it's not how it works in the game either. Know your matchups, recognize the coverage, and hit the appropriate routes.

To take the advice of a previous poster, I think I might adjust the slider for coverage, but I'm vary cautious about this because I think the game plays great out of the box on AA.

A lot of folks get frustrated over what the CPU does, but sometimes we have to improve our knowledge of the game and ability to play it out. Ups and downs are part of it and matchups are a largely misunderstood aspect. It's never as simple as saying "an out should be open against man coverage". There are times when it won't and times when it will, just like any route against any coverage.

Bingo. This is a "See it. Do it" passing engine.

Trying to do it different is just setting yourself up for frustration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »