Home

Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

This is a discussion on Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #33
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I just dropped the Coverage slider to 35 and I have seen the light.

Everyone must try this if you are tired of the defense running your routes for you.

I even ran a 10 hard hitch/comeback where the DB kept running for five yards before he realized what happened. The WR came back to the ball, made the catch and turned upfield all before the DB recovered and got back to him.

If I had more room on the EA servers I would have saved the highlight to prove it. Simply amazing.

This was in man coverage BTW.

I did this with Louisville against Kentucky. I won the game 26-0 on All-American with 8 minute quarters on normal speed.

Louisville has receivers that are mid 80s at the top two and 76 for the 3rd and 4th rated receivers.

Kentucky's DB's were 80 and below (mostly in the low 70s), so I'd say what I described above is very reasonable.

Try it out, the coverage slider is a must.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
What teams are you guys testing this with?

Are you testing it with your favorite team, or the best/worst/most average teams?

If you take the worst passer + receiving corps and test against the best d-backs, then adjust sliders, it's going to be off, obviously. I'd say do a lot of testing with a lot of different teams before you get too set on any sliders.

By the way, the best QB/WR/WR/WR/TE combo in the game is Arkansas. 96/92/92/89/92
I tested this with South Carolina...good QB, #1 WR on the team, and the #1 DB on the team.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesha2000
I tested this with South Carolina...good QB, #1 WR on the team, and the #1 DB on the team.
But you shouldn't always be able to complete a pass to your #1 WR. A lot of times the best WR is the best covered.

This should be tested across a lot of offenses and defenses, testing against the all the DBs, not just #1 WR vs #1 DB.

I would say if the DB and WR are both the same overall number, you should probably be less than 50% successful completing a pass to him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

The problem isn't the %age of the time they're covered as much as HOW they're covered. The corners, when covering a receiver, mirror their routes perfectly and stay right on them. It looks completely unrealistic and isn't how the CB/WR interaction really happens.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
But you shouldn't always be able to complete a pass to your #1 WR. A lot of times the best WR is the best covered.

This should be tested across a lot of offenses and defenses, testing against the all the DBs, not just #1 WR vs #1 DB.

I would say if the DB and WR are both the same overall number, you should probably be less than 50% successful completing a pass to him.
hitch, curls and stop routes should be extremely high percentage against anything but a truly elite corner when he's isolated in man coverage (not press).

the challenge is recognizing when you have man coverage with possibility of safety help which allows the corner to be more aggressive.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf28
The problem isn't the %age of the time they're covered as much as HOW they're covered. The corners, when covering a receiver, mirror their routes perfectly and stay right on them. It looks completely unrealistic and isn't how the CB/WR interaction really happens.
This.

I didn't play DB in HS, i played NT, but even I know man coverage is wrong in NCAA and Madden. What is really frustrating is when they have their backs turned to the player they are covering and/or the make the cut ahead of the receiver. It's one thing to study film and make a play. It's another for that to be the way man coverage is played in the game on a regualr basis. I tested against Hawaii where their #2 CB is a 68 overall. While I could complete passes on him, he was in better position at all times, he just never made a play on the ball, or even tried to.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #39
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

No, I ran 10 straight curls and he was not pressing and it was against man coverage. I completed one pass...that is 10% and that is far from being an accurate representation of man coverage. The point of me doing that was to show that the DB runs the route better than the receiver as the OP stated.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #40
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Guys, just put the coverage slider down to 35 or 40. It fixes the issue of them running the routes before the WR.

Do it and love it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »