Home

Can someone quantify "solid playing time"?

This is a discussion on Can someone quantify "solid playing time"? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8
Can someone quantify "solid playing time"?

What exactly qualifies as "solid playing time" for the recruit that you are promising that to? In the past, I've had them coming in as the top option off the bench at a variety of positions, but that wasn't considered solid playing time when evaluating my promises at the end of the year.

Surely they don't have to start every game, that would be way more than solid playing time. Do they have to start a couple times? Once?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Can someone quantify "solid playing time"?

I think there's a difference between being the top option off the bench and actually seeing the field.

The #2 QB, for example, may not see the field all season.

I'd probably reserve "solid playing time" promises for RB, WR, TE, and CBs.

CBs do a lot of running so it's good to sub them in and out often (and sub in your worse guy when you think it's going to be a run play, etc). RBs are kind of the same. And you can always sub them in on pass plays. With WRs and TEs, the 3 TE always hits the field on goal line formations, and 4th and 5th WRs hit the field on 4 and 5 wide formations.

Otherwise, in the linemen, linebacker, and safety positions, it's hard to commit to giving a freshmen a lot of playing time without likely taking a hit in your quality at that position.

Of course, if you're a 1 or 2 star school and you're looking at a 4 or 5 star prospect, chances are he's good enough to start for you...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

I would make that promise to someone you know will be starting. Like if all your FBs are going at the end of the year, and you are recruiting a FB, or if you're losing your starting QB and you have a star QB on your recruitment board. That's just me though, playing it safe. I've only made one promise...that one, to a kicker I think. Or a punter. lol
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
What exactly qualifies as "solid playing time" for the recruit that you are promising that to? In the past, I've had them coming in as the top option off the bench at a variety of positions, but that wasn't considered solid playing time when evaluating my promises at the end of the year.

Surely they don't have to start every game, that would be way more than solid playing time. Do they have to start a couple times? Once?
Let me tell you what happened to me and "Solid Playing Time" once. I was in a dynasty {by myself} and was recruiting a 4-star WR. He had A speed and high everything. I promised him solid playing time. He committed to me.

Next season I put him as the number 5 WR, which, in my offense, 5-wide, is the primary receiver. As a true freshman he caught 186 passes and was a first team All American and second in Heisman. Sounds good, right?

Well, because he was 5th on the depth chart they said I broke the promise even though he led all of NCAA in receiving and won several awards.

Flawed? Yes. Did it piss me off? Definitely. Not only did I get a knock against me the kid asked to transfer at the end of the year.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Let me tell you what happened to me and "Solid Playing Time" once. I was in a dynasty {by myself} and was recruiting a 4-star WR. He had A speed and high everything. I promised him solid playing time. He committed to me.

Next season I put him as the number 5 WR, which, in my offense, 5-wide, is the primary receiver. As a true freshman he caught 186 passes and was a first team All American and second in Heisman. Sounds good, right?

Well, because he was 5th on the depth chart they said I broke the promise even though he led all of NCAA in receiving and won several awards.

Flawed? Yes. Did it piss me off? Definitely. Not only did I get a knock against me the kid asked to transfer at the end of the year.
Yeah thats exactly what I was worried about. Ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

So, it sounds like depth chart position is probably more important than actual play time or stats recorded.

I wonder if you could put the player at #1 on the depth chart then just sub him out at the beginning of every game.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

I wonder if you put a player in at #1 on the depth chart, and then subbed in the starter at the beginning of each game, if they would get it the "solid playing time", even if they never played a down.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
I wonder if you put a player in at #1 on the depth chart, and then subbed in the starter at the beginning of each game, if they would get it the "solid playing time", even if they never played a down.
Yes. I did the same thing another time, put the WR at # 1 on the depth chart and moved him to # 5 at game time... promise kept. He did play, mind you... but it's depth chart position and not actual playing time, which is crap!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »