Home

Strange defensive playcalling by the CPU?

This is a discussion on Strange defensive playcalling by the CPU? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Strange defensive playcalling by the CPU?

It's mainly situational, like on 3rd and LONG, a lot of times they don't pick plays to cover downfield, resulting in easy long passes down the field to my slot WR with a defender hardly in sight. It's not even a blitzing thing, they just aren't calling the right plays for the situation. You've got all there LB's and a couple corners just sitting near the LOS while my guys are streaking up the field.

In my last game, it was tied with about 10 seconds to play, backed up to my own 20, and my slot WR is WIDE open, I get an easy catch for 40+ yards, almost getting in FG range before time expires. That type of situation doesn't call for a short zone. I'm starting to see this alot, even on 1st down to start my drive, I get back what I gave up in 1 play, it feels like I'm just being served big plays whenever I need them.

Playing on Heisman default btw. Wondering if anybody else is seeing this or if anyone sees an issue with CPU defensive playcalling in general.

Last edited by CBizzle; 07-17-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Strange defensive playcalling by the CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBizzle
It's mainly situational, like on 3rd and LONG, a lot of times they don't pick plays to cover downfield, resulting in easy long passes down the field to my slot WR with a defender hardly in sight. It's not even a blitzing thing, they just aren't calling the right plays for the situation. You've got all there LB's and a couple corners just sitting near the LOS while my guys are streaking up the field.

In my last game, it was tied with about 10 seconds to play, backed up to my own 20, and my slot WR is WIDE open, I get an easy catch for 40+ yards, almost getting in FG range before time expires. That type of situation doesn't call for a short zone. I'm starting to see this alot, even on 1st down to start my drive, I get back what I gave up in 1 play, it feels like I'm just being served big plays whenever I need them.

Playing on Heisman default btw. Wondering if anybody else is seeing this or if anyone sees an issue with CPU defensive playcalling in general.
I am seeing this a bunch also... The more I play the more I am seeing that not much has improved as far as AI wise with the game..Clock managemnt is a issue as well...between the quick snaps, and clock management this is starting to get frustrating...I guess te only thing we can do at this point as far as dfensevie playcalling is adjust the philosphy in the strategy settings..
Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

the CPU defense is too aggressive for their own good which results on several TFLs and sacks for them, but way too many big play opportunities for the human. it seems like the CPU's 2 favorite defensive calls are the double cat blitz and the always popular "engage eight."

this can be helped somewhat by adjusting the CPU's defensive playcall aggressiveness before each game in a dynasty but there are still several "WTF" are they doing situations.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

I've noticed that the CPU Never goes into prevent defense, at least not for me, which has lead to some incredible victories for me. Also, i agree with the AI blitzing way too much. They'll win a battle or two, but overall they lose the war with the excessive blitzing.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 07-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I was playing miami and i think they blitzed nine guys. Both corners came in showing blitz and the safeties were up close to the line, so i lobbed an 80 yard touchdown pass... i kinda felt bad about it too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

How do u lower the cpu's aggressiveness? Does it make a big difference?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

I've seen this a lot. It's awful, but honestly...with all the ridiculous cheating the CPU does with rocket catching and magically converting 3rd downs when they need to and the QB throwing the body across his body and finding a man streaking in stride on the opposited of the field, and the absurd amount of fumbles I have had so far on my dynasty despite holding R1(PS3 user here) which is suppose to protect the ball...eh, I'd say its a more than fair trade off.

These are my main gripes with the game, but I'm getting some great games so far in my Kentucky Dynasty regardless, still loving the game obviously.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

This is the same problem Madden had last year. It's pretty frustrating for me because I feel like I got a cheap win when it happens late in a close game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »