Home

When to offer scholarships?

This is a discussion on When to offer scholarships? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
When to offer scholarships?

So I'm seeing a lot of people here offer scholarships when a prospect has you as their #1 choice, and sometimes you get that immediate commitment.

DO you just offer immediately when they become #1 and hope they commit on the spot, or do you wait until they are #1 AND their interest bar in you is green and not yellow?

I've got some recruits to commit on the spot when I offer, but I didn't consider if their interest bar was yellow and green. I'm paying attention to it now, and every recruit I've offered who has had me #1 but a yellow interest bar has not committed on the spot.

Does anyone know if you stand a better chance of getting a spot on commitment when you offer and a recruit who has you #1 AND a green interest bar, or does the color of the interest bar not matter in a circumstance of a spot on verbal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: When to offer scholarships?

I try to wait until he's green and I'm #1, as that seems to get the most instant commits, but sometimes you need to make up ground, or you need to get an offer out there to avoid losing the guy. If you're within striking distance at #2 and he soft commits to the #1, you probably want to offer quickly.

This is a theory, but I think you're best chance at an instant commit is when you have green, #1, AND he's completed all of his visits.

I never offer if I'm not in the top 3.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

This is a theory, but I think you're best chance at an instant commit is when you have green, #1, AND he's completed all of his visits.

Thanks. I agree with you. I getting a few when I offered without paying attention to the interest bar, but since I've been paying attention I have not gotten an instant commit from a prospect who's had me as their #1 and the interest bar was yellow.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

Do you offer sooner if you are a crappy school? When I play as Colorado I am only in the top 2 or 3 schools if a) the recruit is from Colorado or b) the recruit is a 1 or 2 star player. If I go after a 4 or 5 star player I usually offer early in the process so that I can make it into the top 3.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have always offered week one. I only target 10-15 guys that I feel I have to have and offer them ASAP. Recruiting as you know is different in 2011 but what I have been doing since I first began playing the dynasty mode in 99 is to offer 1st. It seems to work fine for me and always end up with top 20 classes.

In 2011 I have 1 week left in my 1st season (UGA) and have the #15 class. I have signed 12 guys to this point and 7 of the 12 were guys I offered in week 1. Only 2 of the 7 had me ranked #1 and the other 5 had me below #3. The other 5 I have signed were guys I found mid season to replace guys I lost out on. I lost 6 players from my week 1 offers and all but 1 of the 6 went to in state schools. The 1 I lost from the state of Georgia went to Bama but they are ranked #1 in the nation and he could play as a freshmen where I could not play him day 1.

I recruit on All-American and still use some of my house rules.
-I will not recruit a 4* or 5* players unless he will play in his first 2 years on campus.
-Only replace Seniors or Juniors if they are rated 90+ in fear of the Juniors leaving.
-20 play max on recruiting board or sign unless losing more then 20 players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 25

I offer scholarships when i am in the top 3 or even if i need to make up some ground sitting as their 5th or 6th option. I have gotten instant commits being #4 on their list as well (was a hometown guy).

Honestly, there is really no 'perfect" time to do it....But being in their top 3 and having a good amount of their interest in the green is the best time for sure.

But like reality...Recruiting is unpredictable.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

recruiting is 3 parts strategy 1 part luck

If you are going after a high grade player you need to offer them week 1 or fall behind quickly. My strategy with 5-4 star recruits is too get out in front as quickly as possible and have them visit by week 5 that way hopefully i can sign em before anyone else has a chance to visit.

\3 star and under players can be slow played if you are in a good enough position. But i have often gotten them to sign in the first week from an offer.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

i offer early all the time. mostly the first week. in fact, i offered all 25 in week one. 2 were immediately accepted. the first a 4* DE the second a 3* TE.

the only people on my recruiting board i didn't offer was the kicker i need and the punter i need and am holding out hope they will eventually sign.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »