Home

What does Geaux mean, and how do you pronounce it?

This is a discussion on What does Geaux mean, and how do you pronounce it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #25
MVP

UATide's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: What does Geaux mean, and how do you pronounce it?

Reauxll Tide.

This Is Alabama Football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Yeah, in the French language a lot of times the last consonant isn't pronounced...
that's true and not true at the same time (the universe just exploded). while yes, you dont always pronounce the consonant at the end of a word, it does however have an effect on the vowel sound in front of it. this is evident in the words parlai and parlait, which are different conjugations of the verb parler. the vowel sound at the end of parlait is "shorter" or "flatter" than the end syllable in parlai...

parlai pronounced = /paʁ.le/
parlait pronounced = /paʁ.lɛ/

of course you really have to speak french to know this, AND this isn't a language forum so... who cares. if you read this, i'm sorry to have wasted 15 seconds of your life.

... unless of course you're interested in learning french, and in that case... your welcome.

#GoPackGo
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
that's true and not true at the same time (the universe just exploded). while yes, you dont always pronounce the consonant at the end of a word, it does however have an effect on the vowel sound in front of it. this is evident in the words parlai and parlait, which are different conjugations of the verb parler. the vowel sound at the end of parlait is "shorter" or "flatter" than the end syllable in parlai...

parlai pronounced = /paʁ.le/
parlait pronounced = /paʁ.lɛ/

of course you really have to speak french to know this, AND this isn't a language forum so... who cares. if you read this, i'm sorry to have wasted 15 seconds of your life.

... unless of course you're interested in learning french, and in that case... your welcome.
I'm not interested in learning French, but I do find foreign languages in general to be interesting. And when I say foreign languages, I even include the differences between American English and the English spoken in Australia, or England, or Scotland.

It's probably tied to my interest in foreign names. I like to play the FIFA games on occasion (not as hardcore as NCAA) and it's almost a fun game guessing where a player is from based on his last name. And when you start learning the pronunciation of the team and player names and see how their spelled (and then find out where they are from) you start to learn a lot about some of the cool little intricacies of foreign languages.

Speaking of foreign languages, this video is extremely entertaining:
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 9

lol that is awesome

#GoPackGo
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Ha, my German teacher told me about that commercial, but I never checked it out. It was pretty funny like he said.

― Plato
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #30
Rookie

cj_vols13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Good...cause I know you didn't mean October 2nd hahah....Go Vols!
I will be in Baton Rouge for the Tennessee game........
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #31
Rookie

CAJUN0UTLAW©'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Are you kidding? Those backwater cajun Baton Rouge LSU fans don't even have computers...
No...honestly, Id lay you money most of all us saw this post and thought...wow, are you serious and moved on. But concerning what you said..that is kind of a seriously racist and displays the need for education. GEAUX TIGERS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATide
Reauxll Tide.
Best post I've ever seen, and I'm a UK fan.

Just because it hasn't been said enough, Geaux means go, and is pronounced go. French is an odd yet interesting language.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »